Checking if a record is open for editing
Author Message
 Checking if a record is open for editing

Hi

If a user has opened a record and begins to change the data, and at the same
time another user opens the same record and makes changes, how can I stop
this from happening prior to the user clicking save record, and being given
an ado error.

I have looked at using adlockpessimistic, but would like to lock the record
as soon as another user tries to open the same record.

Thanks.

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:37:22 GMT
 Checking if a record is open for editing
Generally I trap the error and ask the user what they want to do... this
seems to give the best "non-lockout" approach in a muli-user environment...

HTH

Chris

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 00:10:30 GMT
 Checking if a record is open for editing
I Use a separate table in the mdb file called flocks to record and keeps
track of with user is editing witch record . before initiating any editing
for a user i check if that record is not being edited by another user.

Jw Vriesman

--
Groeten,
Ans & Jan Willem Vriesman

H: http://home.planet.nl/~jw.vriesman

The contents of this mail is checked with
Norman anti virus software.

Quote:
> Generally I trap the error and ask the user what they want to do... this
> seems to give the best "non-lockout" approach in a muli-user
environment...

> HTH

> Chris

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:34:49 GMT
 Checking if a record is open for editing
How do cope with the fact that a user may start editing a record - the app
crashes - the record remains locked? Just interested if this is a better way
I use...

chris

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:36:24 GMT
 Checking if a record is open for editing
I see your point. In my case i have priveleges in my app. So some users can
do more than others. The user with the highest level (A person who controls
the app and database at the firm for instance) is able to (within the
program) delete/add users and to delete locks. So if this happens (Not yet
in my case) this person can be contacted and he/she can delete the lock
record.

Jan Willem Vriesman

--
Groeten,
Ans & Jan Willem Vriesman

H: http://home.planet.nl/~jw.vriesman

The contents of this mail is checked with
Norman anti virus software.

Quote:
> How do cope with the fact that a user may start editing a record - the app
> crashes - the record remains locked? Just interested if this is a better
way
> I use...

> chris

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:58:08 GMT

1. Checking if record cannot be edited

2. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

3. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

4. Open RS and Exclude Records Being Edited?

5. I am getting duplicate records, I mean everything is duplicate even Access record number

6. Edit Record / Save Record buttons.

7. Checking for matching records in two tables with different record structures

8. I am editing a premade .dot and wonder how to set date where I want it

9. Edit Mode - What am I doing wrong?

10. Check for exclusive file open--if prior open

11. How to Delete a record(or records) inside an open file

12. Flag a record once it has been edited to only allow the record to be edited once