Filter crashing application (Windows NT) Urgent Help Required
Author Message
 Filter crashing application (Windows NT) Urgent Help Required

I have just converted an existing application with a VB frontend  to a
Progress database using an ADO/ODBC link.

When I apply a filter to a specific recordset - even Recordset.Filter =
adFilterNone or Recordset.Filter = 0 - it crashes out with a Dr. Watson
violation error of:

"Access Violation (0x0000005) address 0x280sd775"

This is only happening on one specific recordset which has identical
parameters to other recordsets that are functioning ok.

Any ideas on what I should be looking at ?

This is screwing me up big time on an application due to roll out this
weekend, so any ideas would be much appreciated.

--
Martin Harran
Donegal

Wed, 18 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Filter crashing application (Windows NT) Urgent Help Required
Martin,

I can't say that I know what's happening, but you say that the offending
recordset is similar to others that do not cause the same problem. How
similar are the recordset's?

I don't know anything about Progress, but I suspect the problem could be the
ODBC driver. Anyway, now that you've probably tried just about everything
sensible, how about trying other not so sensible things.

If the recordsets are nearly similar, how about making them even more
similar just for testing purposes? I am thinking renaming the table, the
fields, having the same indexes and so on. Is the recordset a join of
several tables? If so, wehat happens if you exclude the joins and just keep
the data from the main table?

I know this doesn't make much sense, but if we're looking at a bug in the
ODBC driver or the ADO provider, well, such initiatives could pay off.

Do you have the Select statements to look at?
--
Regards

Carsten Thomsen
MVP VB
MCSE/MCSD/VB Programmer & Analyst

PLEASE post ALL replies to the newsgroup(s) so we can all benefit from the
discussion!

Quote:
> I have just converted an existing application with a VB frontend  to a
> Progress database using an ADO/ODBC link.

> When I apply a filter to a specific recordset - even Recordset.Filter =
> adFilterNone or Recordset.Filter = 0 - it crashes out with a Dr. Watson
> violation error of:

> "Access Violation (0x0000005) address 0x280sd775"

> This is only happening on one specific recordset which has identical
> parameters to other recordsets that are functioning ok.

> Any ideas on what I should be looking at ?

> This is screwing me up big time on an application due to roll out this
> weekend, so any ideas would be much appreciated.

> --
> Martin Harran
> Donegal
> Ireland

Thu, 19 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Application Crashes on Windows 95 - Works Fine on Windows NT Workstation

2. Urgent Help required on Crviewer crash

3. Filter by form - apply filter button required - Access 97

4. Help on Crashing Application (DLL Crash)

5. Application runs with Windows 95/NT, but doesn't work with Windows 98

6. Launching and Monitoring a 16-bit Windows app from VB5 application running on Windows NT 4.0

7. How to detect 16-bit Windows-based application running under Windows NT

8. Launching and Monitoring a 16-bit Windows app from VB5 application running on Windows NT 4.0

9. Postmessage api call crashes application on NT 4.0

10. PLEASE HELP - MKS MKD etc - Urgent Help Required

11. HELP - MKS CVS MKD etc - Urgent Help Required

12. Postmessage api call crashes application on NT 4.0