Program Deployment and ADO
Author Message
 Program Deployment and ADO

Hello -

I have written an application in VB6-SP5 on a machine that has ADO 2.6 that
ships with SQL Server 2000 (no SP).  When I wrote the program, I referenced
ADO 2.1 (not aware I was only referencing the Type-Lib and not the DLL)
because I felt that 2.1 provides all the functionality necessary for the
application and it would be less painful as the systems receiving the
program vary from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.

I created an MSI package with the Visual Studio Installer program that comes
with the Windows 2000 Readiness Kit.  The Installer program correctly saw
the reference to the Type-Library and included it in the package.

When I test the program on a 98-box, I got a run-time error.  I went back
and inspected the MSI package and realized that the ADO DLL was not
included, I removed the reference to ADO 2.1 and "upgraded" all-the-way to
2.6.  The MSI package updated to reflect the changes, however, the program
takes error(s) when initially opening a Recordset against the Access 2000
database.

If it is possible, I would like to use ADO 2.1 so that I do not have to
worry about redistributing the latest version of MDAC with my program.  I am
under the impression that this is possible and one of the top-goals with
COM.  Unfortunately, I am missing something key and I am hoping that this is
easily remedied.  I am able to provide code if it is necessary to work thru
the problem.

Thanks for any help.

- Harris Boyce

Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:33:07 GMT
 Program Deployment and ADO
You need to clean up the machine on which you are compiling. Use
ComponentChecker from Microsoft(you can find it on their web site). It can
clear up messed versions of MDAC and prepare your machine for a clean
version of MDAC.

You have to recompile your project with the corrected references
afterwards....

Hope this helps.

/Kasper

Quote:
> Hello -

> I have written an application in VB6-SP5 on a machine that has ADO 2.6
that
> ships with SQL Server 2000 (no SP).  When I wrote the program, I
referenced
> ADO 2.1 (not aware I was only referencing the Type-Lib and not the DLL)
> because I felt that 2.1 provides all the functionality necessary for the
> application and it would be less painful as the systems receiving the
> program vary from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.

> I created an MSI package with the Visual Studio Installer program that
comes
> with the Windows 2000 Readiness Kit.  The Installer program correctly saw
> the reference to the Type-Library and included it in the package.

> When I test the program on a 98-box, I got a run-time error.  I went back
> and inspected the MSI package and realized that the ADO DLL was not
> included, I removed the reference to ADO 2.1 and "upgraded" all-the-way to
> 2.6.  The MSI package updated to reflect the changes, however, the program
> takes error(s) when initially opening a Recordset against the Access 2000
> database.

> If it is possible, I would like to use ADO 2.1 so that I do not have to
> worry about redistributing the latest version of MDAC with my program.  I
am
> under the impression that this is possible and one of the top-goals with
> COM.  Unfortunately, I am missing something key and I am hoping that this
is
> easily remedied.  I am able to provide code if it is necessary to work
thru
> the problem.

> Thanks for any help.

> - Harris Boyce

Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:48:36 GMT
 Program Deployment and ADO
Okay, is this going to allow me to distribute a program that will use ADO
2.1 or will it distribute 2.5+?

Thanks for your help, I'll look into it and give it a shot.

- Harris

Quote:
> You need to clean up the machine on which you are compiling. Use
> ComponentChecker from Microsoft(you can find it on their web site). It can
> clear up messed versions of MDAC and prepare your machine for a clean
> version of MDAC.

> You have to recompile your project with the corrected references
> afterwards....

> Hope this helps.

> /Kasper

> > Hello -

> > I have written an application in VB6-SP5 on a machine that has ADO 2.6
> that
> > ships with SQL Server 2000 (no SP).  When I wrote the program, I
> referenced
> > ADO 2.1 (not aware I was only referencing the Type-Lib and not the DLL)
> > because I felt that 2.1 provides all the functionality necessary for the
> > application and it would be less painful as the systems receiving the
> > program vary from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.

> > I created an MSI package with the Visual Studio Installer program that
> comes
> > with the Windows 2000 Readiness Kit.  The Installer program correctly
saw
> > the reference to the Type-Library and included it in the package.

> > When I test the program on a 98-box, I got a run-time error.  I went
back
> > and inspected the MSI package and realized that the ADO DLL was not
> > included, I removed the reference to ADO 2.1 and "upgraded" all-the-way
> > 2.6.  The MSI package updated to reflect the changes, however, the
program
> > takes error(s) when initially opening a Recordset against the Access
2000
> > database.

> > If it is possible, I would like to use ADO 2.1 so that I do not have to
> > worry about redistributing the latest version of MDAC with my program.
> am
> > under the impression that this is possible and one of the top-goals with
> > COM.  Unfortunately, I am missing something key and I am hoping that
this
> is
> > easily remedied.  I am able to provide code if it is necessary to work
> thru
> > the problem.

> > Thanks for any help.

> > - Harris Boyce

Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:57:09 GMT
 Program Deployment and ADO
You can "reset" your machines ado version to ie. ver 2.1 and then use that
version in your vb project. Then if your program runs on a machine that uses
2.1 it should work. But the world is not as beautifull as it should be,
sometimes the client machines can be messed with mixed versions of MDAC and
that could cause problems for your app. But if you use the lowest version it
should be compatible with most ADO. - but still no garantees :-)
/kasper

Quote:
> Okay, is this going to allow me to distribute a program that will use ADO
> 2.1 or will it distribute 2.5+?

> Thanks for your help, I'll look into it and give it a shot.

> - Harris

> > You need to clean up the machine on which you are compiling. Use
> > ComponentChecker from Microsoft(you can find it on their web site). It
can
> > clear up messed versions of MDAC and prepare your machine for a clean
> > version of MDAC.

> > You have to recompile your project with the corrected references
> > afterwards....

> > Hope this helps.

> > /Kasper

> > > Hello -

> > > I have written an application in VB6-SP5 on a machine that has ADO 2.6
> > that
> > > ships with SQL Server 2000 (no SP).  When I wrote the program, I
> > referenced
> > > ADO 2.1 (not aware I was only referencing the Type-Lib and not the
DLL)
> > > because I felt that 2.1 provides all the functionality necessary for
the
> > > application and it would be less painful as the systems receiving the
> > > program vary from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.

> > > I created an MSI package with the Visual Studio Installer program that
> > comes
> > > with the Windows 2000 Readiness Kit.  The Installer program correctly
> saw
> > > the reference to the Type-Library and included it in the package.

> > > When I test the program on a 98-box, I got a run-time error.  I went
> back
> > > and inspected the MSI package and realized that the ADO DLL was not
> > > included, I removed the reference to ADO 2.1 and "upgraded"
all-the-way
> > > 2.6.  The MSI package updated to reflect the changes, however, the
> program
> > > takes error(s) when initially opening a Recordset against the Access
> 2000
> > > database.

> > > If it is possible, I would like to use ADO 2.1 so that I do not have
> > > worry about redistributing the latest version of MDAC with my program.
> > am
> > > under the impression that this is possible and one of the top-goals
with
> > > COM.  Unfortunately, I am missing something key and I am hoping that
> this
> > is
> > > easily remedied.  I am able to provide code if it is necessary to work
> > thru
> > > the problem.

> > > Thanks for any help.

> > > - Harris Boyce

Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:11:53 GMT
 Program Deployment and ADO
Our experience with the Visual Installer and database applications
hasn't been good at all !

The Visual Installer will not automatically install and register MDAC
so we now use the Package and Deployment Wizard that comes with VB6.
--

Saludos, Jorge Jimenez, SICAD S.A., Costa Rica

Quote:
> Hello -

> I have written an application in VB6-SP5 on a machine that has ADO 2.6
that
> ships with SQL Server 2000 (no SP).  When I wrote the program, I
referenced
> ADO 2.1 (not aware I was only referencing the Type-Lib and not the DLL)
> because I felt that 2.1 provides all the functionality necessary for the
> application and it would be less painful as the systems receiving the
> program vary from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.

> I created an MSI package with the Visual Studio Installer program that
comes
> with the Windows 2000 Readiness Kit.  The Installer program correctly saw
> the reference to the Type-Library and included it in the package.

> When I test the program on a 98-box, I got a run-time error.  I went back
> and inspected the MSI package and realized that the ADO DLL was not
> included, I removed the reference to ADO 2.1 and "upgraded" all-the-way to
> 2.6.  The MSI package updated to reflect the changes, however, the program
> takes error(s) when initially opening a Recordset against the Access 2000
> database.

> If it is possible, I would like to use ADO 2.1 so that I do not have to
> worry about redistributing the latest version of MDAC with my program.  I
am
> under the impression that this is possible and one of the top-goals with
> COM.  Unfortunately, I am missing something key and I am hoping that this
is
> easily remedied.  I am able to provide code if it is necessary to work
thru
> the problem.

> Thanks for any help.

> - Harris Boyce

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 00:44:35 GMT
 Program Deployment and ADO
It has been a good while since I have used the "P&D Wizard"; will it create
an MSI or another relatively "simple" installation program?

Thanks for your help!

- Harris

Quote:
> Our experience with the Visual Installer and database applications
> hasn't been good at all !

> The Visual Installer will not automatically install and register MDAC
> so we now use the Package and Deployment Wizard that comes with VB6.
> --

> Saludos, Jorge Jimenez, SICAD S.A., Costa Rica

> > Hello -

> > I have written an application in VB6-SP5 on a machine that has ADO 2.6
> that
> > ships with SQL Server 2000 (no SP).  When I wrote the program, I
> referenced
> > ADO 2.1 (not aware I was only referencing the Type-Lib and not the DLL)
> > because I felt that 2.1 provides all the functionality necessary for the
> > application and it would be less painful as the systems receiving the
> > program vary from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.

> > I created an MSI package with the Visual Studio Installer program that
> comes
> > with the Windows 2000 Readiness Kit.  The Installer program correctly
saw
> > the reference to the Type-Library and included it in the package.

> > When I test the program on a 98-box, I got a run-time error.  I went
back
> > and inspected the MSI package and realized that the ADO DLL was not
> > included, I removed the reference to ADO 2.1 and "upgraded" all-the-way
> > 2.6.  The MSI package updated to reflect the changes, however, the
program
> > takes error(s) when initially opening a Recordset against the Access
2000
> > database.

> > If it is possible, I would like to use ADO 2.1 so that I do not have to
> > worry about redistributing the latest version of MDAC with my program.
> am
> > under the impression that this is possible and one of the top-goals with
> > COM.  Unfortunately, I am missing something key and I am hoping that
this
> is
> > easily remedied.  I am able to provide code if it is necessary to work
> thru
> > the problem.

> > Thanks for any help.

> > - Harris Boyce

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 03:10:14 GMT
 Program Deployment and ADO
As far as I know you only need to reference ADO 2.1 in your project and
remove the Ado21.tlb file and replace it with Mdac_type.exe version 2.12 and
you should be fine. I've done this alot without trouble. I also have Ado 2.6
on my machine and I found this version too buggy for my customers. I haven't
tested the latest servicepack for Ado 2.6, so that might solve things.

Best regards
Kay-Christian Hansen

Quote:
> Hello -

> I have written an application in VB6-SP5 on a machine that has ADO 2.6
that
> ships with SQL Server 2000 (no SP).  When I wrote the program, I
referenced
> ADO 2.1 (not aware I was only referencing the Type-Lib and not the DLL)
> because I felt that 2.1 provides all the functionality necessary for the
> application and it would be less painful as the systems receiving the
> program vary from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.

> I created an MSI package with the Visual Studio Installer program that
comes
> with the Windows 2000 Readiness Kit.  The Installer program correctly saw
> the reference to the Type-Library and included it in the package.

> When I test the program on a 98-box, I got a run-time error.  I went back
> and inspected the MSI package and realized that the ADO DLL was not
> included, I removed the reference to ADO 2.1 and "upgraded" all-the-way to
> 2.6.  The MSI package updated to reflect the changes, however, the program
> takes error(s) when initially opening a Recordset against the Access 2000
> database.

> If it is possible, I would like to use ADO 2.1 so that I do not have to
> worry about redistributing the latest version of MDAC with my program.  I
am
> under the impression that this is possible and one of the top-goals with
> COM.  Unfortunately, I am missing something key and I am hoping that this
is
> easily remedied.  I am able to provide code if it is necessary to work
thru
> the problem.

> Thanks for any help.

> - Harris Boyce

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 04:31:32 GMT
 Program Deployment and ADO
You're saying you've used the Visual Studio Installer to distribute MDAC? If
so, do you create a merge module for it?

Thanks for your help!

- Harris

Quote:
> As far as I know you only need to reference ADO 2.1 in your project and
> remove the Ado21.tlb file and replace it with Mdac_type.exe version 2.12
and
> you should be fine. I've done this alot without trouble. I also have Ado
2.6
> on my machine and I found this version too buggy for my customers. I
haven't
> tested the latest servicepack for Ado 2.6, so that might solve things.

> Best regards
> Kay-Christian Hansen

> > Hello -

> > I have written an application in VB6-SP5 on a machine that has ADO 2.6
> that
> > ships with SQL Server 2000 (no SP).  When I wrote the program, I
> referenced
> > ADO 2.1 (not aware I was only referencing the Type-Lib and not the DLL)
> > because I felt that 2.1 provides all the functionality necessary for the
> > application and it would be less painful as the systems receiving the
> > program vary from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.

> > I created an MSI package with the Visual Studio Installer program that
> comes
> > with the Windows 2000 Readiness Kit.  The Installer program correctly
saw
> > the reference to the Type-Library and included it in the package.

> > When I test the program on a 98-box, I got a run-time error.  I went
back
> > and inspected the MSI package and realized that the ADO DLL was not
> > included, I removed the reference to ADO 2.1 and "upgraded" all-the-way
> > 2.6.  The MSI package updated to reflect the changes, however, the
program
> > takes error(s) when initially opening a Recordset against the Access
2000
> > database.

> > If it is possible, I would like to use ADO 2.1 so that I do not have to
> > worry about redistributing the latest version of MDAC with my program.
> am
> > under the impression that this is possible and one of the top-goals with
> > COM.  Unfortunately, I am missing something key and I am hoping that
this
> is
> > easily remedied.  I am able to provide code if it is necessary to work
> thru
> > the problem.

> > Thanks for any help.

> > - Harris Boyce

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 04:51:24 GMT
 Program Deployment and ADO
Thanks for the tip.  I'm experiencing some weird results with the wizard.
The first time thru with ADO 2.6, it included MDAC but my program still
crashed on the first initial connect.  When I removed ADO 2.6 and referenced
ADO 2.1, everything worked...except for something "minor".  I got errors in
the install program when it tried to register "msado21.tlb" and
"oledb32.dll" (I am using oledb32.dll to display the "wizard" that creates
connection strings).  If i chose Ignore (Abort and Retry are the other
options) the program runs fine on a Win98 SE box; I have yet to try this on
a Win2k or WinNT4 machine.

If anyone has any ideas, I greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.

- Harris

Quote:
> Our experience with the Visual Installer and database applications
> hasn't been good at all !

> The Visual Installer will not automatically install and register MDAC
> so we now use the Package and Deployment Wizard that comes with VB6.
> --

> Saludos, Jorge Jimenez, SICAD S.A., Costa Rica

> > Hello -

> > I have written an application in VB6-SP5 on a machine that has ADO 2.6
> that
> > ships with SQL Server 2000 (no SP).  When I wrote the program, I
> referenced
> > ADO 2.1 (not aware I was only referencing the Type-Lib and not the DLL)
> > because I felt that 2.1 provides all the functionality necessary for the
> > application and it would be less painful as the systems receiving the
> > program vary from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.

> > I created an MSI package with the Visual Studio Installer program that
> comes
> > with the Windows 2000 Readiness Kit.  The Installer program correctly
saw
> > the reference to the Type-Library and included it in the package.

> > When I test the program on a 98-box, I got a run-time error.  I went
back
> > and inspected the MSI package and realized that the ADO DLL was not
> > included, I removed the reference to ADO 2.1 and "upgraded" all-the-way
> > 2.6.  The MSI package updated to reflect the changes, however, the
program
> > takes error(s) when initially opening a Recordset against the Access
2000
> > database.

> > If it is possible, I would like to use ADO 2.1 so that I do not have to
> > worry about redistributing the latest version of MDAC with my program.
> am
> > under the impression that this is possible and one of the top-goals with
> > COM.  Unfortunately, I am missing something key and I am hoping that
this
> is
> > easily remedied.  I am able to provide code if it is necessary to work
> thru
> > the problem.

> > Thanks for any help.

> > - Harris Boyce

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:26:38 GMT

1. Problem in deployment of program

2. Not including a startup entry for a program with the Deployment Wizard

3. how to package program for deployment

4. Setup programs for remote deployment

5. Deployment VB 6 program

6. Deployment of ActiveDocument programs

7. Need help w/ Packageing & Deployment of Program

8. MDAC & VB ADO Package Deployment

9. ADO Deployment Problems

10. Problem in deployment of VB6 prog using ADO

11. ADO/Access deployment problem

12. ADO Deployment problem with MS Access 97