Stop adding duplicate records
Author Message
 Stop adding duplicate records

Hi

My app uses Vb6 and sql 2000.
On entering the app, an automatic sequence number is generated, which would
eventually be populated as the primary key.  The problem is that it can take
upwards of 2 minutes to enter  a new record, so the chances of a user
working on the same sequence number are quite high.

Is there any way I can stop this situation from occuring prior to who clicks
the save button first, and one user receiving the "this record already
exists" message.

Any ideas appreciated.

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:44:49 GMT
 Stop adding duplicate records
Have you thought about using an identity column, thus when the user clicks
on save the data is recorded and given a sequence on insertion rather than
generating one before insertion.

this will remove the  problems of "this record already exists"

Hope This Helps
Simon Whale

Quote:
> Hi

> My app uses Vb6 and sql 2000.
> On entering the app, an automatic sequence number is generated, which
would
> eventually be populated as the primary key.  The problem is that it can
take
> upwards of 2 minutes to enter  a new record, so the chances of a user
> working on the same sequence number are quite high.

> Is there any way I can stop this situation from occuring prior to who
clicks
> the save button first, and one user receiving the "this record already
> exists" message.

> Any ideas appreciated.

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:01:01 GMT

1. Checking if a record is duplicated before adding or during adding it to a table

2. I am getting duplicate records, I mean everything is duplicate even Access record number

3. How to stop duplicate records from appearing?

4. Adding Duplicate Record button creats error with Combo Box

5. Adding duplicate records Error 3022

6. Refresh adds duplicate record

7. Combobox Stopping Duplicate Items

8. Duplicate first record.

9. Duplicate record error using OnNotInList event

10. Duplicate Records

11. dUPLICATE RECORDS

12. duplicate records