SQL Server 2000 - large variable sized data type?
Author Message
 SQL Server 2000 - large variable sized data type?

I am looking for a SQL Server 2000 data type that will allow a variable size
of binary and/or text data to be stored within the database.  I have a
number large text files and .tiff ( image ) files that I want to store in a
database.

I can't seem to find much information about the datatypes of SQL Server
2000.  It says that the type, varchar, can grow to accomodate the size of
the data contained within it,  but it seems to be limited to 8000 characters
in size per record.  Likewise the, binary, data type also seems to be
limited to 8,000 characters.

I come from a MySQL background which uses the data type, blob, for these
kind of requirements.  Does anyone know of a data type I can use that will
accomodate larger amounts of text, and binary data?

Thank you,

Jason

P.S. my apologies for the off-topic post.  Is there a more appropriate
newsgroup for this question?  I can't seems to find the correct group in the
microsoft.public.sqlserver... groups...

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 02:33:27 GMT
 SQL Server 2000 - large variable sized data type?
Use text (ntext) or image data types. Read SQL Server BOL for more info.

Regards,

Artur Zakrzewski

Quote:
> I am looking for a SQL Server 2000 data type that will allow a variable
size
> of binary and/or text data to be stored within the database.  I have a
> number large text files and .tiff ( image ) files that I want to store in
> database.

> I can't seem to find much information about the datatypes of SQL Server
> 2000.  It says that the type, varchar, can grow to accomodate the size of
> the data contained within it,  but it seems to be limited to 8000
characters
> in size per record.  Likewise the, binary, data type also seems to be
> limited to 8,000 characters.

> I come from a MySQL background which uses the data type, blob, for these
> kind of requirements.  Does anyone know of a data type I can use that will
> accomodate larger amounts of text, and binary data?

> Thank you,

> Jason

> P.S. my apologies for the off-topic post.  Is there a more appropriate
> newsgroup for this question?  I can't seems to find the correct group in
the
> microsoft.public.sqlserver... groups...

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:26:46 GMT

1. Type Name is Invalid error -- Windows 2000/98 application with SQL Server/stored procedure problem

2. Managing Variable Sized Arrays of Variable Sized Data

3. Problem mapping a VB data type to an ADO datatype (and then SQL 2000)

4. Problem mapping a VB data type to an ADO datatype (and then SQL 2000)

5. VB6 application using SQL Server 2000 migrating db to SQL Server 2

6. Largest Variable for the Long variable type

7. Front Page Form posting data to SQL Server 2000

8. VB.Net Client Checking for the existence of data on a SQL Server 2000

9. Listing SQL Server 2000 Data Sources in VB6

10. Can't view SQL Server 2000 tables in VB6 Data Environment

11. Can't view SQL Server 2000 tables in VB6 Data Environment

12. How to get data from SQL Server 2000 DB into IE Treeview - Web Control