Recorset.addnew/INSERT
Author Message
 Recorset.addnew/INSERT

hi,
    I would like to know which is a better Recordset.Addnew and
recordset.update or
    Building an INSERT statement and
using connection.execute "Insert Statment"
for a Transaction Processing System.
Thanx in Advance.
And also for a Transaction Processing System (Purely Client/Server) should a
disconneted recordset be used.

Fri, 20 May 2005 23:38:06 GMT
 Recorset.addnew/INSERT
Hi,

In case of transaction (and not only) I would suggest to use explicit SQL
statements, instead of working with ADO recordset. In some cases
transactions are failing when you work through recordsets

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> hi,
>     I would like to know which is a better Recordset.Addnew and
> recordset.update or
>     Building an INSERT statement and
> using connection.execute "Insert Statment"
> for a Transaction Processing System.
> Thanx in Advance.
> And also for a Transaction Processing System (Purely Client/Server) should
> disconneted recordset be used.

Sat, 21 May 2005 09:25:32 GMT
 Recorset.addnew/INSERT
Thanx Val.
 But then when should we use Recordset.addnew/recordset.update.
And also are there any benifits/drawbacks of using disconnected recordsets
in a purely Client/Server Architecture.

Quote:
> Hi,

> In case of transaction (and not only) I would suggest to use explicit SQL
> statements, instead of working with ADO recordset. In some cases
> transactions are failing when you work through recordsets

> --
> Val Mazur
> Microsoft MVP

> > hi,
> >     I would like to know which is a better Recordset.Addnew and
> > recordset.update or
> >     Building an INSERT statement and
> > using connection.execute "Insert Statment"
> > for a Transaction Processing System.
> > Thanx in Advance.
> > And also for a Transaction Processing System (Purely Client/Server)
should
> > disconneted recordset be used.

Sat, 21 May 2005 22:00:15 GMT
 Recorset.addnew/INSERT
Hi,

In disconnected environment you could add and change records in recordset,
since you do not have any access to the actual database. It works fast and
allows you manipulate data without supporting active connection. Benefits of
using disconnected recordset are; you do not hold resources of database,
everything works fast, because it is local. Possible drawbacks: When you
need to open disconnected recordset, then you have to open it on client
side. In case of big number of records it could take some time to transfer
all those records to client side. If you decide to update changes from
recordset to database, then it could take some time as well, but you could
test performance in your particular case using some sort of test application

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Thanx Val.
>  But then when should we use Recordset.addnew/recordset.update.
> And also are there any benifits/drawbacks of using disconnected recordsets
> in a purely Client/Server Architecture.

> > Hi,

> > In case of transaction (and not only) I would suggest to use explicit
SQL
> > statements, instead of working with ADO recordset. In some cases
> > transactions are failing when you work through recordsets

> > --
> > Val Mazur
> > Microsoft MVP

> > > hi,
> > >     I would like to know which is a better Recordset.Addnew and
> > > recordset.update or
> > >     Building an INSERT statement and
> > > using connection.execute "Insert Statment"
> > > for a Transaction Processing System.
> > > Thanx in Advance.
> > > And also for a Transaction Processing System (Purely Client/Server)
> should
> > > disconneted recordset be used.

Sat, 21 May 2005 22:15:26 GMT
 Recorset.addnew/INSERT
Hi,

In case of transactions I would prefer to use INSERT/UPDATE SQL statements
directly. Even if you do not have transactions, then some joined recordsets
do not allow to add new or update existing records in both tables, which
means that you have to use explicit SQL statements in some cases

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> hi,
>     I would like to know which is a better Recordset.Addnew and
> recordset.update or
>     Building an INSERT statement and
> using connection.execute "Insert Statment"
> for a Transaction Processing System.
> Thanx in Advance.
> And also for a Transaction Processing System (Purely Client/Server) should
> disconneted recordset be used.

Sat, 21 May 2005 00:48:27 GMT

1. insert adodb.recorset into a msflexgrid

2. .AddNew inserting into middle of table.

3. rs.Addnew or INSERT INTO

4. AddNew vs. INSERT INTO

5. Execute("INSERT INTO...) vs RECORDSET.ADDNEW

6. Insert vs AddNew - Getting Identity

7. Insert vs AddNew - Getting Identity

8. Problem: inserting text after AddNew

9. Execute("INSERT INTO...) vs RECORDSET.ADDNEW

10. AddNew vs. INSERT INTO

11. Problem: inserting text after AddNew

12. .AddNew inserts records into middle of table