Leaving a connection open indefinitely
Author Message
 Leaving a connection open indefinitely

Brad,

It depends on application. If it is multiuser, then it is better to release
all resources associated with connection. By default ADO pooling
connections, so you will not see big impact in performance if you close and
re-open connection again.

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> In my app, I have a connection that I use to access the
> db.  I usually open the connection, execute an SQL
> statement and then close the connection.  This creates 3
> network calls to the db.  I know you can leave the
> connection open between uses, but what is the impact on
> performance?  Is it a bad idea to leave it open
> indefinitely?  Could I open it when the app starts and
> leave it open until the app closes?

> Thanks

Tue, 10 May 2005 09:24:58 GMT

1. how long to leave a DB connection open?

2. Dataenvironment & datareport leave open connection

3. is leaving a Connection open a good/ bad practice

4. how long to leave a DB connection open?

5. Is leaving db open == leaving pants down?

6. Better to open recordsets and leave them open?

7. SQL Server connections not closing when Access connection also open

8. How can i play (.avi) indefinitely without ocx or dll - API code exist

9. How to add records indefinitely (not 1 at a time)

10. How to Hold Down Shift Key Indefinitely?

11. ASP pages can't be refreshed instantly, they seem to be loading indefinitely

12. database connection remain open if opened via recordset