SQL Server Not Found
Author Message
 SQL Server Not Found

Hi all,

I have a vb application with SQL back-end. If I use the SQL server database
in the LAN in my connection string, then it worked fine. But I have to
connect my application with a SQL Server outside of LAN, then my app did not
get connected to the outside SQL Server and the error message said "SQL
server not found". Does any one know what should I do to work with an
outside SQL server database?

my connection string is like this:
ConStr = "Provider=SQLOLEDB; Data Source=MyIPAddress; Initial Catalog=myDB;
User Id=MyID; Password=MyPW"

Thanks
Henry

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 04:28:10 GMT
 SQL Server Not Found
What kind of other lan is it? Other Subnet?

Maybe you have a dns problem. Try to use the ip address instead of the
server name. Check if routing works.
Can you ping the sql server? Is there a firewall between the lans?

Andr

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I have a vb application with SQL back-end. If I use the SQL server
database
> in the LAN in my connection string, then it worked fine. But I have to
> connect my application with a SQL Server outside of LAN, then my app did
not
> get connected to the outside SQL Server and the error message said "SQL
> server not found". Does any one know what should I do to work with an
> outside SQL server database?

> my connection string is like this:
> ConStr = "Provider=SQLOLEDB; Data Source=MyIPAddress; Initial
Catalog=myDB;
> User Id=MyID; Password=MyPW"

> Thanks
> Henry

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 05:04:14 GMT
 SQL Server Not Found
Hi Andre,

Yes, I can ping the sql server. I did use the IP address not the server
name. I have tested it on several client machines, it only worked on the
machines those have been set up the SQL server client network utility. Any
ideas?

Thanks
Henry

Quote:
> What kind of other lan is it? Other Subnet?

> Maybe you have a dns problem. Try to use the ip address instead of the
> server name. Check if routing works.
> Can you ping the sql server? Is there a firewall between the lans?

> Andr

> > Hi all,

> > I have a vb application with SQL back-end. If I use the SQL server
> database
> > in the LAN in my connection string, then it worked fine. But I have to
> > connect my application with a SQL Server outside of LAN, then my app did
> not
> > get connected to the outside SQL Server and the error message said "SQL
> > server not found". Does any one know what should I do to work with an
> > outside SQL server database?

> > my connection string is like this:
> > ConStr = "Provider=SQLOLEDB; Data Source=MyIPAddress; Initial
> Catalog=myDB;
> > User Id=MyID; Password=MyPW"

> > Thanks
> > Henry

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 05:40:28 GMT
 SQL Server Not Found
Henry,
Try putting a port number after the IP number.
http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm#OLEDBProviderForSQLServer

And if there is a firewall / proxy server, then make sure the port is open
for traffic...

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman
http://www.able-consulting.com

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I have a vb application with SQL back-end. If I use the SQL server
database
> in the LAN in my connection string, then it worked fine. But I have to
> connect my application with a SQL Server outside of LAN, then my app did
not
> get connected to the outside SQL Server and the error message said "SQL
> server not found". Does any one know what should I do to work with an
> outside SQL server database?

> my connection string is like this:
> ConStr = "Provider=SQLOLEDB; Data Source=MyIPAddress; Initial
Catalog=myDB;
> User Id=MyID; Password=MyPW"

> Thanks
> Henry

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:27:34 GMT
 SQL Server Not Found
Thanx, I get it to work. I did not specify "Network Library=DBMSSOCN" in my
connection string.

Once again, thanks alot.
Henry

Quote:
> Henry,
> Try putting a port number after the IP number.
> http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm#OLEDBProviderForSQLServer

> And if there is a firewall / proxy server, then make sure the port is open
> for traffic...

> --

> Thanks,
> Carl Prothman
> Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
> http://www.able-consulting.com

> > Hi all,

> > I have a vb application with SQL back-end. If I use the SQL server
> database
> > in the LAN in my connection string, then it worked fine. But I have to
> > connect my application with a SQL Server outside of LAN, then my app did
> not
> > get connected to the outside SQL Server and the error message said "SQL
> > server not found". Does any one know what should I do to work with an
> > outside SQL server database?

> > my connection string is like this:
> > ConStr = "Provider=SQLOLEDB; Data Source=MyIPAddress; Initial
> Catalog=myDB;
> > User Id=MyID; Password=MyPW"

> > Thanks
> > Henry

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:47:19 GMT

1. Specified SQL server not found.

2. SQL-Server not found

3. SQL Server Not Found

4. Crystal 6 with Oracle - Error 599 SQL SERVER NOT FOUND

5. SQL Server not found

6. Error:SQL server not Found?

7. Specified SQL server not found (ERROR)

8. Specified SQL Server not found error

9. Specified SQL server not found.

10. Specified SQL server not found.

11. Can not find SQL Server (I'm not using SQL Server)

12. Another Physical DB not found (but with SQL server)