Read excel file on-the-fly stored in SQL database as a BLOB
Author Message
 Read excel file on-the-fly stored in SQL database as a BLOB

Hi

I am in a situation where I am retrieving an excel (xls) file from the
database (stored in a SQL 2K database as a 'blob') and want to load
the retrieved 'binary data' on-fly into an Excel application object
(ofcourse, not visible to users) and read the data from the
spreadsheet. I do NOT want to store the 'binary data' into the file
system (as xls file) as an intermediatory step and then 'open' the xls
file using Excel.Application.Workspaces.Open() method. To precise, I
need to read values in the XLS file that's been stored in the database
as a BLOB (image data type in SQL2K).

Any help would be highly appreciable. I have tried searching lots of
user groups for any similar kind of situations, but couldn't find a
single article. Thanks in advance,
Kapil Garg

Mon, 09 May 2005 07:18:45 GMT
 Read excel file on-the-fly stored in SQL database as a BLOB
Kapil,

I think in case of binary format you do not have any choice as to create
some sort of temp file. As I know there is no possibility to load in-memory
binay stream into Excel

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Hi

> I am in a situation where I am retrieving an excel (xls) file from the
> database (stored in a SQL 2K database as a 'blob') and want to load
> the retrieved 'binary data' on-fly into an Excel application object
> (ofcourse, not visible to users) and read the data from the
> spreadsheet. I do NOT want to store the 'binary data' into the file
> system (as xls file) as an intermediatory step and then 'open' the xls
> file using Excel.Application.Workspaces.Open() method. To precise, I
> need to read values in the XLS file that's been stored in the database
> as a BLOB (image data type in SQL2K).

> Any help would be highly appreciable. I have tried searching lots of
> user groups for any similar kind of situations, but couldn't find a
> single article. Thanks in advance,
> Kapil Garg

Mon, 09 May 2005 21:05:03 GMT

1. read blob data from sql server ce database in pocket pc

2. MS SQL Server BLOBS, RDO and Stored Procedures

3. Storing Word format text in SQL using BLOB's

4. Storing Blobs in SQL Server

5. How to use VB to store/read file attachment in MS SQL

6. Reading a text file and storing to database

7. Embedding an Excel document into SQL Server Blob field

8. store a jpg file in the access /SQL database

9. Store binary file in SQL Server Database field?

10. read excel file in access 2000 lire fichier excel dans access 2000

11. Reading Excel files without opening excel

12. Create a Binary File in eVB From a BLOB SQL CE Column