What permissions do I need to allow a user to be able to access SQL Server, via Terminal Services?
Author Message
 What permissions do I need to allow a user to be able to access SQL Server, via Terminal Services?

We wrote a VB6 application, which we want to implement in Terminal Services
under Windows 2000 Server.  In testing, I've found that the application
works just fine, for me, but that it doesn't work so well for users (in
fact, it doesn't work at all).  In further testing, I've found that the
error occurs during an ADODB.Connection object's Open method.  And I've
found that it works just fine, if the user is a member of the Administrators
group.

Clearly we don't want to put all of our users into the Administrators group.
So, what is the issue involved?  Why is it that the connection object's Open
method works for someone in the Administrators group, but not for others?
What permission is required, so that a user can access SQL Server via our
application as it runs under Terminal Services?
--
Rod

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 03:17:06 GMT
 What permissions do I need to allow a user to be able to access SQL Server, via Terminal Services?
Basically,

The user will have to have the same access permissions, whether running from
TermServ or not (TermServ login permission are separate).  I.e. if they can
log in from a normal desktop, they will be able to log in from TermServ.

So, you have to set SQL to use either to Domain permissions or SQL usernames
or both.  (In SQL 2000 i know i had a problem where SQL always rejected
domain permissioning because it was set up to use SQL permissions only.
Check this, it is in the global SQL options.).

Personally, i'd add the domain user to a domain group.  Then give this
domain group permission in sql.  I'd then make sure that Domain group had
rights either for the whole database (by adding Database Access role for
db_owner for my group) or make sure the user had correct object level
permissions by going to that objects concerned, rightclicking, then
selecting Properties/Permissions and setting them for the user.

Good luck.

Quote:
> We wrote a VB6 application, which we want to implement in Terminal
Services
> under Windows 2000 Server.  In testing, I've found that the application
> works just fine, for me, but that it doesn't work so well for users (in
> fact, it doesn't work at all).  In further testing, I've found that the
> error occurs during an ADODB.Connection object's Open method.  And I've
> found that it works just fine, if the user is a member of the
Administrators
> group.

> Clearly we don't want to put all of our users into the Administrators
group.
> So, what is the issue involved?  Why is it that the connection object's
Open
> method works for someone in the Administrators group, but not for others?
> What permission is required, so that a user can access SQL Server via our
> application as it runs under Terminal Services?
> --
> Rod

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:48:48 GMT
 What permissions do I need to allow a user to be able to access SQL Server, via Terminal Services?
Basically,

The user will have to have the same access permissions, whether running from
TermServ or not (TermServ login permission are separate). I.e. if they can
log in from a normal desktop, they will be able to log in from TermServ.

So, you have to set SQL to use either to Domain permissions or SQL usernames
or both. (In SQL 2000 i know i had a problem where SQL always rejected
domain permissioning because it was set up to use SQL permissions only.
Check this, it is in the global SQL options.).

Personally, i'd add the domain user to a domain group. Then give this domain
group permission in sql. I'd then make sure that Domain group had rights
either for the whole database (by adding Database Access role for db_owner
for my group) or make sure the user had correct object level permissions by
going to that objects concerned, rightclicking, then selecting
Properties/Permissions and setting them for the user.

Good luck.

Quote:
> We wrote a VB6 application, which we want to implement in Terminal

Services

Quote:
> under Windows 2000 Server. In testing, I've found that the
> application works just fine, for me, but that it doesn't work so well
> for users (in fact, it doesn't work at all). In further testing, I've
> found that the error occurs during an ADODB.Connection object's Open
> method. And I've found that it works just fine, if the user is a
> member of the

Administrators

Quote:
> group.

> Clearly we don't want to put all of our users into the Administrators

group.

Quote:
> So, what is the issue involved? Why is it that the connection
> object's

Open

Quote:
> method works for someone in the Administrators group, but not for
> others? What permission is required, so that a user can access SQL
> Server via our application as it runs under Terminal Services?
> --
> Rod

Quote:
> We wrote a VB6 application, which we want to implement in Terminal
Services
> under Windows 2000 Server.  In testing, I've found that the application
> works just fine, for me, but that it doesn't work so well for users (in
> fact, it doesn't work at all).  In further testing, I've found that the
> error occurs during an ADODB.Connection object's Open method.  And I've
> found that it works just fine, if the user is a member of the
Administrators
> group.

> Clearly we don't want to put all of our users into the Administrators
group.
> So, what is the issue involved?  Why is it that the connection object's
Open
> method works for someone in the Administrators group, but not for others?
> What permission is required, so that a user can access SQL Server via our
> application as it runs under Terminal Services?
> --
> Rod

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:50:13 GMT

1. What permissions do I need to allow a user to be able to access SQL Server, via Terminal Services?

2. Help needed: User permissions in a SQL Server 6.5 database

3. I need to be able to add new fields to a MS Access table via VbScript

4. I need to be able to add new fields to a MS Access table via VbScript

5. VB Sql Server Via ADO Problem: [Microsoft][ODBC Sql Server Driver]

6. ADO and SQL: what am I doing wrong ?

7. SQL What am I doing wrong ?

8. Allowing a user to pick a file via automation (FileDialog functionality)

9. doing updating from grid to sql server with stored procedure sql 2000

10. Executing MS SQL Server 2000 stored procs via MS Access 2000

11. Trouble connecting to SQL Server 7 via Access Project

12. Setting SQL Server query processing options via Access/VBA