Adding new column to existing table 
Author Message
 Adding new column to existing table

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a way for VB to add a new column into an existing table
of an Access database. Anyone has a clue?

Thanks,
-Paul



Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:14:34 GMT  
 Adding new column to existing table
Hi Paul,

You can use ADOX library. It allows to change structure of
database. Also try to use ALTER TABLE statement(I am not
sure if it is working with Access)

Val

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----
>Hi all,
>    I'm looking for a way for VB to add a new column into
an existing table
>of an Access database. Anyone has a clue?

>Thanks,
>-Paul

>.



Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:22:22 GMT  
 Adding new column to existing table
Thanks for the tips, but does ADOX work with VB6? Thought that's with .NET.
By the way, Access does not support ALTER TABLE statement.

Paul


Quote:
> Hi Paul,

> You can use ADOX library. It allows to change structure of
> database. Also try to use ALTER TABLE statement(I am not
> sure if it is working with Access)

> Val

> >-----Original Message-----
> >Hi all,
> >    I'm looking for a way for VB to add a new column into
> an existing table
> >of an Access database. Anyone has a clue?

> >Thanks,
> >-Paul

> >.



Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:05:07 GMT  
 Adding new column to existing table
On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 23:05:07 +1100, "Paul"

Quote:

>Thanks for the tips, but does ADOX work with VB6? Thought that's with .NET.

Of course it does! The full release version of .Net was just released
this week. ADOX has existed since ADO 2.1 (IIRC - I may be off by a
version or two). Here's my FAQ response to ADOX questions:

This article:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnda...>

gives you a good overview. Just don't duplicate the author's use of

Dim var As New Something.

Instead, when you use her sample code, change it to
Dim var As Something
Set var = New Something

The former syntax, while it works, has fallen out of favor with
experienced programmers who wish to retain control over when objects
are created and destroyed.

Here are some other useful links (Thanks to Doug Steele):

Well, unless you're doing it as a learning exercise, I wouldn't bother
[switching to ADO].
Access is actually much better off using DAO than ADO. It's faster,
and
there are lots of things you can do in DAO that you can't in ADO (see
Michka's [Michael Kaplan] article "INFO: What does DAO have that
ADO/ADOx/JRO do not have
(and might never have!) at
http://www.trigeminal.com/usenet/usenet025.asp )

If you're determined, though, you might find the following articles
useful:

Porting DAO Code to ADO with the Microsoft Jet Provider
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnda...
daotoado.asp?frame=true
INFO: Issues Migrating from DAO/Jet to ADO/Jet
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q225/0/48.ASP
The ADO Rosetta Stone
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnad...
msdn_adorosest.asp

HTH,
Bob Barrows
Please reply to the newsgroup. My reply-to address is my "spam trap" and I don't check it very often.



Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:25:15 GMT  
 Adding new column to existing table
Just to help with the wrap-around in two of the URLs:

Porting DAO Code to ADO with the Microsoft Jet Provider
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dndao/html/daotoado.asp
The ADO Rosetta Stone
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnado/html/msdn_adorosest.asp

And another reference is

Migrating from DAO to ADO
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dndao/html/daotoadoupdate.asp

HTH

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele


Quote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 23:05:07 +1100, "Paul"

> >Thanks for the tips, but does ADOX work with VB6? Thought that's with
.NET.

> Of course it does! The full release version of .Net was just released
> this week. ADOX has existed since ADO 2.1 (IIRC - I may be off by a
> version or two). Here's my FAQ response to ADOX questions:

> This article:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnda...
Quote:
> /daotoadoupdate.asp>

> gives you a good overview. Just don't duplicate the author's use of

> Dim var As New Something.

> Instead, when you use her sample code, change it to
> Dim var As Something
> Set var = New Something

> The former syntax, while it works, has fallen out of favor with
> experienced programmers who wish to retain control over when objects
> are created and destroyed.

> Here are some other useful links (Thanks to Doug Steele):

> Well, unless you're doing it as a learning exercise, I wouldn't bother
> [switching to ADO].
> Access is actually much better off using DAO than ADO. It's faster,
> and
> there are lots of things you can do in DAO that you can't in ADO (see
> Michka's [Michael Kaplan] article "INFO: What does DAO have that
> ADO/ADOx/JRO do not have
> (and might never have!) at
> http://www.trigeminal.com/usenet/usenet025.asp )

> If you're determined, though, you might find the following articles
> useful:

> Porting DAO Code to ADO with the Microsoft Jet Provider

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnda...
Quote:
> daotoado.asp?frame=true
> INFO: Issues Migrating from DAO/Jet to ADO/Jet
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q225/0/48.ASP
> The ADO Rosetta Stone

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnad...
Quote:
> msdn_adorosest.asp

> HTH,
> Bob Barrows
> Please reply to the newsgroup. My reply-to address is my "spam trap" and I

don't check it very often.


Fri, 09 Jul 2004 02:17:10 GMT  
 Adding new column to existing table
Thanks, I've updated my response.
Bob

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:17:10 -0500, "Douglas J. Steele"

Quote:

>Just to help with the wrap-around in two of the URLs:

>Porting DAO Code to ADO with the Microsoft Jet Provider
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dndao/html/daotoado.asp
>The ADO Rosetta Stone
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnado/html/msdn_adorosest.asp

>And another reference is

>Migrating from DAO to ADO
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dndao/html/daotoadoupdate.asp

HTH,
Bob Barrows
Please reply to the newsgroup. My reply-to address is my "spam trap" and I don't check it very often.


Fri, 09 Jul 2004 04:19:37 GMT  
 Adding new column to existing table
Many thanks for the enlightenment. It's time for me to do some homework...

Paul


Quote:
> Thanks, I've updated my response.
> Bob

> On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:17:10 -0500, "Douglas J. Steele"

> >Just to help with the wrap-around in two of the URLs:

> >Porting DAO Code to ADO with the Microsoft Jet Provider
> >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dndao/html/daotoado.asp
> >The ADO Rosetta Stone
> >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnado/html/msdn_adorosest.asp

> >And another reference is

> >Migrating from DAO to ADO
> >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dndao/html/daotoadoupdate.asp

> HTH,
> Bob Barrows
> Please reply to the newsgroup. My reply-to address is my "spam trap" and I

don't check it very often.


Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:49:37 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Adding new column to existing table

2. Adding new column to existing table

3. How to modified existing field and add new field in existing table for Access database

4. need help please:joined tables,add new entries based on one table columns

5. need help please:joined tables,add new entries based on one table columns

6. new columns in existing table

7. Add column to existing table

8. add a column to an existing data table

9. add column to an existing data table

10. Adox - Add Column to existing table (HELP!!)

11. Adding new fields to an existing table

12. Crystal, add new table to existing report?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software