Upgrding to MDAC 2.7
Author Message
 Upgrding to MDAC 2.7

I cant find anything on the Microsoft site but:

If I have a machine running MDAC 2.5 or MDAC 2.6 that happily runs
applications that were developed on machines with MDAC 2.5 or MDAC 2.6 what
happens if I install MDAC 2.7? Is there a chance that all these old
applications will stop working?

Any links to microsoft documents/pages would be a great help!

Cheers,

elziko

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:12:26 GMT
 Upgrding to MDAC 2.7
IMHO 2.7 is the newest version for XP and 2.6 is the newest version for
W2K, so it should not make any difference.

regards, Robert

Quote:
> I cant find anything on the Microsoft site but:

> If I have a machine running MDAC 2.5 or MDAC 2.6 that happily runs
> applications that were developed on machines with MDAC 2.5 or MDAC 2.6
what
> happens if I install MDAC 2.7? Is there a chance that all these old
> applications will stop working?

> Any links to microsoft documents/pages would be a great help!

> Cheers,

> elziko

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:02:08 GMT
 Upgrding to MDAC 2.7
Theoretically it should not be a problem.
Practically, 9 times out of 10 it isn't.

But as I understand, MS recommend that you upgrade a test machine first,
then check if any of your apps are broken, and only then do the upg to 2.7
on your production machine(s). That's what I would do.

http://www.microsoft.com/data

R.

--
Robert A. Ellis, MCSD
Software Developer

Quote:
> I cant find anything on the Microsoft site but:

> If I have a machine running MDAC 2.5 or MDAC 2.6 that happily runs
> applications that were developed on machines with MDAC 2.5 or MDAC 2.6
what
> happens if I install MDAC 2.7? Is there a chance that all these old
> applications will stop working?

> Any links to microsoft documents/pages would be a great help!

> Cheers,

> elziko

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:56:04 GMT
 Upgrding to MDAC 2.7
Oh yeah, I have a test machine and it doesnt break any of OUR applications.
However I cant do the same testing on every machine it will get deployed on.

Thanks for your advice!

elziko

Quote:
> Theoretically it should not be a problem.
> Practically, 9 times out of 10 it isn't.

> But as I understand, MS recommend that you upgrade a test machine first,
> then check if any of your apps are broken, and only then do the upg to 2.7
> on your production machine(s). That's what I would do.

> http://www.microsoft.com/data

> R.

> --
> Robert A. Ellis, MCSD
> Software Developer

> > I cant find anything on the Microsoft site but:

> > If I have a machine running MDAC 2.5 or MDAC 2.6 that happily runs
> > applications that were developed on machines with MDAC 2.5 or MDAC 2.6
> what
> > happens if I install MDAC 2.7? Is there a chance that all these old
> > applications will stop working?

> > Any links to microsoft documents/pages would be a great help!

> > Cheers,

> > elziko

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:15:37 GMT
 Upgrding to MDAC 2.7
Hi,

As it was mentioned before it should be fine, but even if it is fine on test
PC, does not mean that some production PC will not expirience any problems
during future installation. If it is fine on test PC, then probably 99% will
be fine on other's as well, but you should always be prepare to some issues.
Usually it happens because of corrupted/improper MDAC installation. If MDAC
installation is fine, then it should work without any problems

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Oh yeah, I have a test machine and it doesnt break any of OUR
applications.
> However I cant do the same testing on every machine it will get deployed
on.

> Thanks for your advice!

> elziko

> > Theoretically it should not be a problem.
> > Practically, 9 times out of 10 it isn't.

> > But as I understand, MS recommend that you upgrade a test machine first,
> > then check if any of your apps are broken, and only then do the upg to
2.7
> > on your production machine(s). That's what I would do.

> > http://www.microsoft.com/data

> > R.

> > --
> > Robert A. Ellis, MCSD
> > Software Developer

> > > I cant find anything on the Microsoft site but:

> > > If I have a machine running MDAC 2.5 or MDAC 2.6 that happily runs
> > > applications that were developed on machines with MDAC 2.5 or MDAC 2.6
> > what
> > > happens if I install MDAC 2.7? Is there a chance that all these old
> > > applications will stop working?

> > > Any links to microsoft documents/pages would be a great help!

> > > Cheers,

> > > elziko

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:08:23 GMT

1. Does MDAC 2.7 Support RDO ?

2. MDAC 2.7 THAI

3. WinXP, MDAC 2.7 and Oracle8i connection issue

4. WISE MDAC 2.7

5. MDAC 2.7 silent install

6. Update all rows in a large database using Access 2002, MDAC 2.7, Jet 4.0

7. GUID problem in MDAC 2.7

8. MDAC 2.5 or 2.7

9. MDAC 2.7

10. MDAC 2.7???