MSDE in Windows network
Author Message
 MSDE in Windows network

Is it possible to use MSDE on a Windows peer-to-peer network? We would
like to install MSDE on one user's Windows 98 machine and share the
database with 4-5 other users also running Windows 98. Do we have to
have a separate Windows 2000 server? Also, if peer-to-peer is
possible, what client utilities do we need to install on the clients
(other than the machine that's hosting MSDE)?

Thanks,

Matt Jacobs

--

My reply-to address is purposely mangled to thwart auto-reply bots.
Please remove the two leading underscores if you wish to reply via

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:59:32 GMT
 MSDE in Windows network

Quote:
> Is it possible to use MSDE on a Windows peer-to-peer network?

Yes, quite.

Quote:
>We would like to install MSDE on one user's Windows 98 machine and share
the
> database with 4-5 other users also running Windows 98. Do we have to
> have a separate Windows 2000 server?

No

Quote:
>Also, if peer-to-peer is
> possible, what client utilities do we need to install on the clients
> (other than the machine that's hosting MSDE)?

Just MDAC, the Microsoft Data Access Components, which is available at
www.microsoft.com/data.

David

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 03:54:10 GMT
 MSDE in Windows network
Thanks a lot David. That's what I needed to know.

Matt Jacobs

--

My reply-to address is purposely mangled to thwart auto-reply bots.
Please remove the two leading underscores if you wish to reply via
e-mail.

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:35:34 GMT

1. Network Access to MSDE

2. MSDE on Windows 98?

3. Check if MSDE running on Windows 95

4. MSDE on Windows 95?

5. MSDE, Can't edit data using MSDE

6. Printing to Network Printer using Windows NT -Access97

7. Picking up Windows Nt network user id from vb

8. Picking up the Windows network user name

9. Browse via Windows Network for Computer

10. Windows Service and Network Drives

11. Make Windows dial a Dialup Networking Entry?

12. Cannot create Windows Application on network share