Pass NextRecordset as Opened Recordset
Author Message
 Pass NextRecordset as Opened Recordset

According to http://www.*-*-*.com/

Each recorset passed back is a closed recoset w/ records.  Is there
anyway to pass them back as opened?  I have a 3rd party application
that cannot handle the closed recordset.

TIA

Sat, 26 Nov 2005 23:07:03 GMT
 Pass NextRecordset as Opened Recordset
Hi,

I think that link provides you with wrong understanding of ADO recordsets.
You canNOT have closed recordset with records. If recordset closed, then it
means it does not have any records inside it. You can have disconnected
recordset, which is still opened, but which active connection was dropped.
In that case recordset has to be opened on client side to keep records.
About NextRecordset - it works way when it cannot keep more that one opened
connection at same moment of time. When you open first recordset and call
NextRecordset after that, first opened recordset will be closed and
destroyed automatically by provider. Same with next recordset and so on.
What are you trying to achieve? Could you be more specific?

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:

http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/ado/quickref/recordset_nextrecord...

> Each recorset passed back is a closed recoset w/ records.  Is there
> anyway to pass them back as opened?  I have a 3rd party application
> that cannot handle the closed recordset.

> TIA

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:15:37 GMT
 Pass NextRecordset as Opened Recordset
Hello,

Thank you for replying.  What I am trying to do is loop through my
stored proc and return each of the 4 recordsets 1 at a time.  The 3rd
party application then takes each recordset and "binds" it to an array.
I am thinking that as each recordset gets obtained, it gets closed
before moving to the next one and the application cannot access the
closed recordset.  I hope that this makes sense.

Thank you!

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:42:28 GMT
 Pass NextRecordset as Opened Recordset
Hi Con,

In case if you need to have multiple opened recordsets at same time, you
would need to open them separately, not in one batch. This is the only way
to keep them alive

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Hello,

> Thank you for replying.  What I am trying to do is loop through my
> stored proc and return each of the 4 recordsets 1 at a time.  The 3rd
> party application then takes each recordset and "binds" it to an array.
> I am thinking that as each recordset gets obtained, it gets closed
> before moving to the next one and the application cannot access the
> closed recordset.  I hope that this makes sense.

> Thank you!

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:58:07 GMT
 Pass NextRecordset as Opened Recordset
Hello again,

I will look into another alternative then.  It is just more convenient
to have all my queries run from 1 stored proc and have 1 rs object,
instead of having to call 4 different rs objects.  Anyways, thank you
again for you prompt reply.

Con

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:13:28 GMT

1. NextRecordset Returning Empty Recordset..?

2. Opening recordsets(OpenRecordset vs. Recordset.Open)

3. Passing open recordsets between functions and DLLs

4. Passing parameters to Access query using Recordset.Open

5. Passing parameters use JET OLEDB with Recordset.Open

6. Opened Recordsets don't show up in Recordsets Collection

7. Recordset Experts...SQL statement on an open recordset?

8. Open ADO recordset on another ADO recordset - possible?

9. Open a recordset of another recordset

10. open recordset, change connection, update recordset?

11. ADO fails to release Recordset cursor after opening disconnected Recordset

12. database connection remain open if opened via recordset