ADO-Access2000: Server-side vs Client-side cursor
Author Message
 ADO-Access2000: Server-side vs Client-side cursor

I have read the help file and all I can understand (if I understand
correctly) is that client-side cursor offer more flexibilities that
server-side cursor may not offer. Actually I am still not able to fully
understand both type of cursor. Can anyone point out what is the pro and
cons of these 2 types of cursor? And which cursor type is suitable for which
situation?

I need to update/insert a record into an Access2000 table using ADO. I can
only open the connection using adModeReadWrite and not those
adModeShareDenyWrite etc, is this the suppose way? Also, to insert/update a
table in Access2000 mdb, which cursor type is better, client-side or
server-side? FYI, my mdb is a multiuser-sharing mdb through LAN.

J.

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:49:46 GMT
 ADO-Access2000: Server-side vs Client-side cursor
Hi,

Check my reply about same question for Chris James. It is just 6 posting
below yours (same June 25, 2002 in same newsgroup)

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> I have read the help file and all I can understand (if I understand
> correctly) is that client-side cursor offer more flexibilities that
> server-side cursor may not offer. Actually I am still not able to fully
> understand both type of cursor. Can anyone point out what is the pro and
> cons of these 2 types of cursor? And which cursor type is suitable for
which
> situation?

> I need to update/insert a record into an Access2000 table using ADO. I can
> only open the connection using adModeReadWrite and not those
> adModeShareDenyWrite etc, is this the suppose way? Also, to insert/update
> table in Access2000 mdb, which cursor type is better, client-side or
> server-side? FYI, my mdb is a multiuser-sharing mdb through LAN.

> J.

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:34:10 GMT
 ADO-Access2000: Server-side vs Client-side cursor
Val, sorry but I can't find the posting you mentioned. Seems like it was not
downloaded by my newsreader. Can you cut and paste over here please.

Quote:
> Hi,

> Check my reply about same question for Chris James. It is just 6 posting
> below yours (same June 25, 2002 in same newsgroup)

> --
> Val Mazur
> Microsoft MVP

> > I have read the help file and all I can understand (if I understand
> > correctly) is that client-side cursor offer more flexibilities that
> > server-side cursor may not offer. Actually I am still not able to fully
> > understand both type of cursor. Can anyone point out what is the pro and
> > cons of these 2 types of cursor? And which cursor type is suitable for
> which
> > situation?

> > I need to update/insert a record into an Access2000 table using ADO. I
can
> > only open the connection using adModeReadWrite and not those
> > adModeShareDenyWrite etc, is this the suppose way? Also, to
insert/update
> > table in Access2000 mdb, which cursor type is better, client-side or
> > server-side? FYI, my mdb is a multiuser-sharing mdb through LAN.

> > J.

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:19:16 GMT
 ADO-Access2000: Server-side vs Client-side cursor
Hi,

This is what I posted on Chir's question

Hi Chris,

It is hard to say which cursor to use, butt... You should consider next
issues when you select cursor type;

1. Both cursor types allow updating, deleting and inserting records. In case
of server side cursor, your recordset stays connected to DB and when you
update recordset, then all changes go to DB right away.
In case of client side cursor you could disconnect recordset from DB and
make changes to recordset locally. DB does not see any changes until you
reconnect recordset back and call UpdateBatch. In that case all changes,
which you did in recordset, will be applied against database in one shot.
That technique works fast, because
    a) disconnected recordset does not keep server busy
    b) all changes will be done in one shot

2) In case of client side cursor you could loose in performance during
opening of recordset, because client side requires to transfer all retrieved
records to client side. In case if amount of records is big, provider could
spend some time to do that. In case of server-side cursor, provider
transfers records by-demand, when you move pointer inside recordset.

So, you should select which one is more appropriate for you. In case if you
will make optimized stored procedures and would select only relatively small
amount of records, I would suggest to use client-side  cursor

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Val, sorry but I can't find the posting you mentioned. Seems like it was
not
> downloaded by my newsreader. Can you cut and paste over here please.

> > Hi,

> > Check my reply about same question for Chris James. It is just 6 posting
> > below yours (same June 25, 2002 in same newsgroup)

> > --
> > Val Mazur
> > Microsoft MVP

> > > I have read the help file and all I can understand (if I understand
> > > correctly) is that client-side cursor offer more flexibilities that
> > > server-side cursor may not offer. Actually I am still not able to
fully
> > > understand both type of cursor. Can anyone point out what is the pro
and
> > > cons of these 2 types of cursor? And which cursor type is suitable for
> > which
> > > situation?

> > > I need to update/insert a record into an Access2000 table using ADO. I
> can
> > > only open the connection using adModeReadWrite and not those
> > > adModeShareDenyWrite etc, is this the suppose way? Also, to
> insert/update
> > > table in Access2000 mdb, which cursor type is better, client-side or
> > > server-side? FYI, my mdb is a multiuser-sharing mdb through LAN.

> > > J.

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:20:09 GMT
 ADO-Access2000: Server-side vs Client-side cursor
Val, basically I don't feel comfordable in using UpdateBatch method. Do you
have any experience in using UpdateBatch that you want to share out?

Quote:
> Hi,

> This is what I posted on Chir's question

> Hi Chris,

> It is hard to say which cursor to use, butt... You should consider next
> issues when you select cursor type;

> 1. Both cursor types allow updating, deleting and inserting records. In
case
> of server side cursor, your recordset stays connected to DB and when you
> update recordset, then all changes go to DB right away.
> In case of client side cursor you could disconnect recordset from DB and
> make changes to recordset locally. DB does not see any changes until you
> reconnect recordset back and call UpdateBatch. In that case all changes,
> which you did in recordset, will be applied against database in one shot.
> That technique works fast, because
>     a) disconnected recordset does not keep server busy
>     b) all changes will be done in one shot

> 2) In case of client side cursor you could loose in performance during
> opening of recordset, because client side requires to transfer all
retrieved
> records to client side. In case if amount of records is big, provider
could
> spend some time to do that. In case of server-side cursor, provider
> transfers records by-demand, when you move pointer inside recordset.

> So, you should select which one is more appropriate for you. In case if
you
> will make optimized stored procedures and would select only relatively
small
> amount of records, I would suggest to use client-side  cursor

> --
> Val Mazur
> Microsoft MVP

> > Val, sorry but I can't find the posting you mentioned. Seems like it was
> not
> > downloaded by my newsreader. Can you cut and paste over here please.

> > > Hi,

> > > Check my reply about same question for Chris James. It is just 6
posting
> > > below yours (same June 25, 2002 in same newsgroup)

> > > --
> > > Val Mazur
> > > Microsoft MVP

> fully
> and
> > > which

> > can
> > insert/update

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:40:35 GMT
 ADO-Access2000: Server-side vs Client-side cursor
Hi,

Basically UpdateBatch is same as Update, but provides bulk changes in one
shot. To use UpdateBatch you have to have primary key on your table.

Here are some links, with examples for UpdateBatch

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q184397

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q195082

Second one is not for VB, but could be useful as well

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Val, basically I don't feel comfordable in using UpdateBatch method. Do
you
> have any experience in using UpdateBatch that you want to share out?

> > Hi,

> > This is what I posted on Chir's question

> > Hi Chris,

> > It is hard to say which cursor to use, butt... You should consider next
> > issues when you select cursor type;

> > 1. Both cursor types allow updating, deleting and inserting records. In
> case
> > of server side cursor, your recordset stays connected to DB and when you
> > update recordset, then all changes go to DB right away.
> > In case of client side cursor you could disconnect recordset from DB and
> > make changes to recordset locally. DB does not see any changes until you
> > reconnect recordset back and call UpdateBatch. In that case all changes,
> > which you did in recordset, will be applied against database in one
shot.
> > That technique works fast, because
> >     a) disconnected recordset does not keep server busy
> >     b) all changes will be done in one shot

> > 2) In case of client side cursor you could loose in performance during
> > opening of recordset, because client side requires to transfer all
> retrieved
> > records to client side. In case if amount of records is big, provider
> could
> > spend some time to do that. In case of server-side cursor, provider
> > transfers records by-demand, when you move pointer inside recordset.

> > So, you should select which one is more appropriate for you. In case if
> you
> > will make optimized stored procedures and would select only relatively
> small
> > amount of records, I would suggest to use client-side  cursor

> > --
> > Val Mazur
> > Microsoft MVP

> > > Val, sorry but I can't find the posting you mentioned. Seems like it
was
> > not
> > > downloaded by my newsreader. Can you cut and paste over here please.

> posting

> > fully
> > and
> for

ADO.
> > > can
> > > insert/update

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:53:26 GMT

1. ?client-side vs server-side cursors

2. ADO Deployment, client vs server side cursors

3. Server side or client side cursors?

4. Client Side and Server Side Cursors

5. difference betwen Client-side and Server-side cursors?

6. Client side VS server side

7. Server-Side vs Client-Side script

8. Using Server side Vs OnClick Client side

9. Client side VS server side..

10. dumb question - fundamentals of client-side vs server-side vbscript

11. DLLs -- server-side vs client-side

12. server side (adUseServer) vs client side (adUseClient)