MS Remote vs RDS
Author Message
 MS Remote vs RDS

Hi,

We use MS' MS Remote provider for accessing data over the internet.
There's one problem though, requesting more then one recordset from
the server causes a lot of overhead on our IIS server. It seems that
MS Remote is having trouble with slow lines (< 28k8). Tests showed
that 2 simultanious users using the same backoffice app, got the IIS
on his knees while requesting the same kind of information (IIS
received 30 hits, each hit tried 8 times to re-establish the
connection). The request contained a query which lead to a request for
5 more recordsets.

I'm wondering if there are any performance settings regarding MS
Remote to reduce the overhead on our servers. Also, most of the time,
each request of a recordset requires other request of minimum 5 other
recordsets to be loaded, with a minimum of 2 blob fields containing a
jpeg file. We figured out that some recordsets can take up to 30kb
which takes up to 30 seconds of loading time on a 64Kb single ISDN
line. I assume this ain't normal...

In short, any hints or links to sites regarding issue's about RDS and
MS Remote are welcome.

Frank

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 04:37:37 GMT
 MS Remote vs RDS
Frank,
You didn't mention which version of MDAC you are using.   I would recommend
MDAC 2.5 SP1  (or MDAC 2.6 with SQL Server 2000).

Also, MS Remote uses the RDS DataFactory on the remote server to commuicate
to your back-end database.   You might want to put the RDS DataFactory DLL
into COM+ (MTS)

Also (and just a guess), if you are using IE 5.5 on the client, then you may
be running into the following
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q279/7/45.ASP

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman

PS.   I added  microsoft.public.data.ado.rds  to this post

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:29:01 GMT

1. RDS 2.5 - How to use RDS to get and maintain data on a Remote Server

2. Dynamic listboxes from remote .DBF using ADO/RDS

3. Help, Remote Database RDS

4. Dynamic listboxes from remote .DBF using ADO/RDS

5. Accessing remote datas with RDS

6. Problem accessing remote DLL using RDS and DCOM

7. RDS? Connecting via Internet to remote database

8. DCOM vs. RDS with http

9. Web classes vs RDS

10. Web classes vs RDS

11. Webclasses vs rds