URGENT - VB creates a big big database in Win98
Author Message
 URGENT - VB creates a big big database in Win98

Hi,
I have an application that has to fill several table with data that is in one big table (200 000 records).
Everything work in Win 2k, before and after I compile it. However, in windows 98 (my customer has win98) my database gets 1GB at least (I don't have more space in disk) and in Win2k it only has 10MB!!!

Please help me...I have to finish this today!!!

thanks in advance

Miguel

Sat, 10 Apr 2004 23:24:28 GMT
 URGENT - VB creates a big big database in Win98
Hi,

Do youmuse MS Accsess database. If yes, then you need to
compact you DB. Open database goto Database/Utilities and
run Compact. It will remove all garbage from you database
and release free space.

Val

Quote:

***
>.

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 03:26:20 GMT
 URGENT - VB creates a big big database in Win98
Yes...I use a access2000 database.
The database gets 400MB the first time and is always
increasing...the second time it goes until 2GB and
crashes...I can't use the compact tool because I can't
stop the second third, etc operation in the middle of it!

thanks anyway

Miguel

Quote:

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:27:56 GMT
 URGENT - VB creates a big big database in Win98
Hi,

Access 2000 has limitation on size of database up to 2GB.
You can compact your DB from code using Microsoft Jet and
Replications Objects library or you can do it manually.

Val

Quote:

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:55:11 GMT
 URGENT - VB creates a big big database in Win98

> I have an application that has to fill several table with data that is
> in one big table (200 000 records).
> Everything work in Win 2k, before and after I compile it. However, in
> windows 98 (my customer has win98) my database gets 1GB at least
> (I don't have more space in disk) and in Win2k it only has 10MB!!!

I've had the same problem in one of our products.
Maybe your database structure is created by SQL code?

When I changed the data field type from CHAR to VARCHAR
during the database creation, the DB (JetOLEDB.4.0;Engine Type=4 or 5)
kept small - in my case, the difference was 80 MB to 14 MB.

Quote:
> Please help me...I have to finish this today!!!

Sorry, too late ;-)

--
cu,
       Thorsten

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:28:41 GMT

1. How big is a big vb-exe

2. *** URGENT VB not able to cope with big app

3. Re. BIG BIG problem

4. BIG BIG Problem

5. Big Versions, Big Words

6. How big is too big?

7. FORMS: How big is too big??

8. ?VBDOS- Big programs and big QLBs

9. Need big help for big problem

10. BIG BIG TROUBLE ( Package & Deploy)

11. How big is BIG?

12. Big Problems - Win98 / Visual Basic 4 and common controls