ADO vs DAO when accessing data stored in MS Access
Author Message
 ADO vs DAO when accessing data stored in MS Access

Hi,

Without causing too much controversy which method is the best way to access
data stored in an MS Access database.

    1) ADO
    2) DAO

or is there not much difference either way.

Thanks for any advice.

Shahid

Sat, 01 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO vs DAO when accessing data stored in MS Access
My understanding is that with Access97 and earlier it is faster to use DAO
when accessing MS Access Databases.

Now, with Access2k this may not be the case. I would search Microsofts
website for the answer.

--
Gregory A Jackson MCSD, MCT
Senior Software Engineer

Sat, 01 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO vs DAO when accessing data stored in MS Access
Without adding to controversy,  but it probably will...

Even MS advises that for full programming control and flexibility on Jet
(including Jet4) and
ISAMs, DAO is the technology to use.

But don't trust me on it, read the notes all through the
Office2000 Visual Basic Programmer's Guide from MS Press and see Mary
Chipman's excellent one page article in, I think it was the November 1999
Advisor magazine ... her words are completely true in my experience.

I wonder if this is why the MSPress Jet Database Engine Programmer's Guide
for Jet4 was announced many months ago but never released .. could it have
been that it too would have to have been filled with little notes about "You
can't do this with ADOx"?

Performance can be noticably better with DAO depending on your
implementation, but no matter your implementation ADOx will not, and MS now
publically states that it WILL NOT EVER be up to the level of native (DAO)
connectivity.

It's a shame, but ADO was heralded as a "neutral" system where you could
write one set of code and just replace the provider to change your data
sources, no fuss no muss ... as we all can now see with ADOx, this is not
the case. Each engine requires it's own unique coding and you can't do much
without using each engine's special, and un-intuitive, "extensions"

Plus, it may be just me, but a DAO Hello World at 2MB looks a heck of a lot
better now that an ADOx Hello World is 14MB and requires DCOM <g>.

-Robert Smith
Kirkland WA
http://www.smithvoice.com/vbfun.htm

Quote:

>Hi,

>Without causing too much controversy which method is the best way to access
>data stored in an MS Access database.

>    1) ADO
>    2) DAO

>or is there not much difference either way.

>Thanks for any advice.

>Shahid

Sat, 01 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO vs DAO when accessing data stored in MS Access
DAO is the 'best' as it is designed for that purpose.  However it depends
what your aims are.

Sat, 01 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO vs DAO when accessing data stored in MS Access
Even more...

* DAO utilises the Jet database engine which is the foundation for Access
(hence performance gains).
* DAO allows Data Definition (i.e. table constructs etc) - ADO does not -
without addition of other object libraries
* ADO allows easier access to generic data providers (if you ever intend to
migrate from Access to SQL*Server/ORACLE)
* ADO *is* the prefered Microsoft data *access* technology for the future
* ADO *is* (OK this is on an ADO Newsgroup and may be biased :-) ) easier to
use
* ADO uses UDL in lieu of DSN which are simpler to administer.

Cheers,

Mike

Quote:

>Hi,

>Without causing too much controversy which method is the best way to access
>data stored in an MS Access database.

>    1) ADO
>    2) DAO

>or is there not much difference either way.

>Thanks for any advice.

>Shahid

Sat, 01 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO vs DAO when accessing data stored in MS Access
Answer in a nutshell:

if PlanToMigrate = true then
    UseADO
else
  UseDAO
end if

Just my opinion

Charlie Zimmerman
http://www.freevbcode.com

Quote:

>Hi,

>Without causing too much controversy which method is the best way to access
>data stored in an MS Access database.

>    1) ADO
>    2) DAO

>or is there not much difference either way.

>Thanks for any advice.

>Shahid

Sat, 01 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO vs DAO when accessing data stored in MS Access
I like What you've done here Charlie.....!

Good Call

--
Gregory A Jackson MCSD, MCT
Senior Software Engineer

Sat, 01 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO vs DAO when accessing data stored in MS Access
you left out one essential test:

if PlantoMigrate = true then
    if FunctionalityActuallyExistsinADO then
         UseADO
    Else
        UseDAO
    end if
Else
    UseDAO
end if

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:24:11 -0800, "Charlie Zimmmerman"

Quote:

>Answer in a nutshell:

>if PlanToMigrate = true then
>    UseADO
>else
>  UseDAO
>end if

>Just my opinion

>Charlie Zimmerman
>http://www.freevbcode.com

>>Hi,

>>Without causing too much controversy which method is the best way to access
>>data stored in an MS Access database.

>>    1) ADO
>>    2) DAO

>>or is there not much difference either way.

>>Thanks for any advice.

>>Shahid

Sat, 01 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Can't access data from two unrelated queries stored in MS Access

2. Access ADO vs. DAO

3. ACCESS ADO vs a "STORED QUERY"

4. ado performance - ms-access vs odbc

5. Using MS Data Control DAO to access a password protected database

6. Updating Memo Fields in MS Access using ADO Parameter / Stored Procedures

7. Updating Memo Fields in MS Access using ADO Parameter / Stored Procedures

8. MS Access 2002 vs VB.net as a front-end to SQL Server data

9. data environment - stored procedure - ms access 2000 db

10. Access as data Server Using ADO & DAO

11. ADO access to Excel: Exclusive vs Shared Access

12. Executing MS SQL Server 2000 stored procs via MS Access 2000