Slow Performer
Author Message
 Slow Performer

I am having a problem with my app slowing to a crawl and finally locking up
when more than 2 users are working with it at the same time. This takes
place over about 30 min. to an hours time. They say it takes 45 min. to
become available again. I'm using an Access 2000 database that is currently
about 85 MB in size. They are adding 50 to 75 records an hour. I connect
using ADO 2.7 and MS Jet.4.0 OLEDB provider. I use a middle tier dll to
handle all requests for data form the app. All workstations on the system
are running XP. I've run this on my system with 2 users and the customer's
database and experienced no slowdown at all after an hour of use. At this
point I don't know if it is there system or my code. The trouble is that
they are my only installation that uses more than 3 people on the system at
a time so I can't say that it is running great anyplace else.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Sun, 22 May 2005 04:00:54 GMT
 Slow Performer
Dave,

Maybe Jet 4.0 is a slow, but not like that. I think something wrong with
database. First try to compact it and see if it helps. Also check how may
indexes you have on tables, which are involved into inserting. Too many
indexes could lead to slow performance

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> I am having a problem with my app slowing to a crawl and finally locking
up
> when more than 2 users are working with it at the same time. This takes
> place over about 30 min. to an hours time. They say it takes 45 min. to
> become available again. I'm using an Access 2000 database that is
currently
> about 85 MB in size. They are adding 50 to 75 records an hour. I connect
> using ADO 2.7 and MS Jet.4.0 OLEDB provider. I use a middle tier dll to
> handle all requests for data form the app. All workstations on the system
> are running XP. I've run this on my system with 2 users and the customer's
> database and experienced no slowdown at all after an hour of use. At this
> point I don't know if it is there system or my code. The trouble is that
> they are my only installation that uses more than 3 people on the system
at
> a time so I can't say that it is running great anyplace else.

> Any Ideas?

> Thanks,
> Dave

Sun, 22 May 2005 20:32:47 GMT
 Slow Performer
I received more information yesterday afternoon. They say the application is
working ok but slow. Their boss checked it out on his own workstation and
discovered that his was not slow at all. He could access anything he wanted
without waiting! The only conclusion I can come up with at this point is
that his rights on the system are higher than the others. He has full
priviages for the installation folder on the network and the others do not.
Is there something that goes on with Access/Jet that requires full
privilages?

Dave

Quote:
> Dave,

> Maybe Jet 4.0 is a slow, but not like that. I think something wrong with
> database. First try to compact it and see if it helps. Also check how may
> indexes you have on tables, which are involved into inserting. Too many
> indexes could lead to slow performance

> --
> Val Mazur
> Microsoft MVP

> > I am having a problem with my app slowing to a crawl and finally locking
> up
> > when more than 2 users are working with it at the same time. This takes
> > place over about 30 min. to an hours time. They say it takes 45 min. to
> > become available again. I'm using an Access 2000 database that is
> currently
> > about 85 MB in size. They are adding 50 to 75 records an hour. I connect
> > using ADO 2.7 and MS Jet.4.0 OLEDB provider. I use a middle tier dll to
> > handle all requests for data form the app. All workstations on the
system
> > are running XP. I've run this on my system with 2 users and the
customer's
> > database and experienced no slowdown at all after an hour of use. At
this
> > point I don't know if it is there system or my code. The trouble is that
> > they are my only installation that uses more than 3 people on the system
> at
> > a time so I can't say that it is running great anyplace else.

> > Any Ideas?

> > Thanks,
> > Dave

Sun, 22 May 2005 23:52:28 GMT
 Slow Performer
Dave,

Any anti-virus applications on those PCs? Try to disable them if they have

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> I received more information yesterday afternoon. They say the application
is
> working ok but slow. Their boss checked it out on his own workstation and
> discovered that his was not slow at all. He could access anything he
wanted
> without waiting! The only conclusion I can come up with at this point is
> that his rights on the system are higher than the others. He has full
> priviages for the installation folder on the network and the others do
not.
> Is there something that goes on with Access/Jet that requires full
> privilages?

> Dave

> > Dave,

> > Maybe Jet 4.0 is a slow, but not like that. I think something wrong with
> > database. First try to compact it and see if it helps. Also check how
may
> > indexes you have on tables, which are involved into inserting. Too many
> > indexes could lead to slow performance

> > --
> > Val Mazur
> > Microsoft MVP

> > > I am having a problem with my app slowing to a crawl and finally
locking
> > up
> > > when more than 2 users are working with it at the same time. This
takes
> > > place over about 30 min. to an hours time. They say it takes 45 min.
> > > become available again. I'm using an Access 2000 database that is
> > currently
> > > about 85 MB in size. They are adding 50 to 75 records an hour. I
connect
> > > using ADO 2.7 and MS Jet.4.0 OLEDB provider. I use a middle tier dll
> > > handle all requests for data form the app. All workstations on the
> system
> > > are running XP. I've run this on my system with 2 users and the
> customer's
> > > database and experienced no slowdown at all after an hour of use. At
> this
> > > point I don't know if it is there system or my code. The trouble is
that
> > > they are my only installation that uses more than 3 people on the
system
> > at
> > > a time so I can't say that it is running great anyplace else.

> > > Any Ideas?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Dave

Mon, 23 May 2005 00:32:14 GMT

1. Top Performer

2. Slow, slow, slow search on VB6, ADO and SS7

3. VB4 is slow..slow....slow

4. Insert into SQL Server slow, slow, slow...

5. SLOW - ADO ASP FOXPRO CDX - SLOW

6. It gets slower and slower.....

7. This routine runs slower slower each time it's used. Any Ideas why?

8. Slow form_load due to slow MSADORA connection: how does one deal with this?

9. FindFirst is slow

10. Refreshing really slow...

11. slow on win2000

12. Slow Performance and DLLs