GetString limitations
Author Message
 GetString limitations

Hi,

I am using the ADO 2.1 GetString method to put my recordset into an easy
format for importing to Excel. Only problem is, it takes over 60 minutes to
run on a 200,000 row recordset.

Does anyone know any way of speeding it up? Or any other ways of getting
200k rows into a text file for an Excel import?

Cheers
Dan

Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:23:50 GMT
 GetString limitations
Hi,

It happens because ADO transfers all records to client
side. It takes some time, because od network traffic. What
you can do is to use DTS from SQL 2000. It allows to
import data from one data source to another one.

Val

Quote:

Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:42:03 GMT
 GetString limitations
Hi Dan,

   If your database is MS Sqlserver , then you can use DTS.

There are many other methods to copy the data to Excel using ADO such as
CopyFromRecordset  , QueryTable.

For more details on "Methods for Transferring Data to Excel from Visual
Basic" (Q247412)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q247412

Praveen Maddali
MCDBA

Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:49:35 GMT

1. Problem with ASCIIEncoding.GetString

2. ADO.NET GetRows or Getstring ?

3. Using ADO GetString with MSHFlexgrid - problem with memo field

4. GetString Problem

5. GetString and Clip

6. GetString and Clip

7. What is the reverse of GetString?