DAO is better than ADO ??!!
Author Message
 DAO is better than ADO ??!!

Dear All

I created an application program using DAO 3.5 2-3 year before.   It works
great!  Now, I need to create a new program that will perform synchronize
two remote DB.   can I still use DAO or I must have use ADO instead???
What big difference between them.  Actually, I find DAO/ADO quite
similar(don't laugh) and some guys in this group say DAO is better than DAO.
So, that make me worry ..........

keni

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:25:10 GMT
 DAO is better than ADO ??!!
Hi,

It depends on what you want to do. If you are using
Access, then in most case DAO will work faster, because it
is native and was designed to work with Access. ADO is
universal data access technology and allows you to work
with virtually any kind of data source. Performance
depends on provider and database you are using. You need
to specify for yourself what you plan to do and then
decide which way to go. You cannot say that DAO is better
then ADO and vice verca. It depends on particular
situation, but what is definitely is that ADO allows you
to work with different datasources, but DAO not.

Val

Quote:

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:53:19 GMT
 DAO is better than ADO ??!!
I think I'd strike that last sentence, Val. DAO can talk to Access, Paradox,
Btrieve, dBase, Excel, text files, SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase, Informix,
anyone with an ODBC driver, etc...

Quote:
> Hi,

> It depends on what you want to do. If you are using
> Access, then in most case DAO will work faster, because it
> is native and was designed to work with Access. ADO is
> universal data access technology and allows you to work
> with virtually any kind of data source. Performance
> depends on provider and database you are using. You need
> to specify for yourself what you plan to do and then
> decide which way to go. You cannot say that DAO is better
> then ADO and vice verca. It depends on particular
> situation, but what is definitely is that ADO allows you
> to work with different datasources, but DAO not.

> Val

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 00:39:04 GMT
 DAO is better than ADO ??!!
What about OLEDB?

val

Quote:

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:09:01 GMT
 DAO is better than ADO ??!!
use ADO

Quote:
> Dear All

> I created an application program using DAO 3.5 2-3 year before.   It works
> great!  Now, I need to create a new program that will perform synchronize
> two remote DB.   can I still use DAO or I must have use ADO instead???
> What big difference between them.  Actually, I find DAO/ADO quite
> similar(don't laugh) and some guys in this group say DAO is better than
DAO.
> So, that make me worry ..........

> keni

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:20:26 GMT
 DAO is better than ADO ??!!
It doesn't support OLEDB (that I know of; maybe someone's written an ODBC
driver that sits on top of OLEDB), but your statement was that it doesn't
support different data sources, which it does.

Quote:
> What about OLEDB?

> val

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 02:01:34 GMT
 DAO is better than ADO ??!!
Keni,

Microsoft recommends that you not use DAO on new designs, rather it is
appropriate only for existing applications.  For instance, in the VC++ .Net
environment (as well as in most of the VC++ wizards), DAO is no longer
supported.

Have a look at the following links:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vccore/html/vcoriDataAccess.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_dao.3a_.wri...
database_application.asp

DAO is a set of Com objects, much like ADO.  ADO is based on OLEDB, DAO is
based on MS Jet Engine.

You are likely already aware that DAO works only with the MS Jet database
engine (actually DAO is based on Jet).  Initially, one may conclude that DAO
works only with the MS Access database, and that is not entirely correct.
DAO works with any database that the MS Jet Engine supports - and that list
includes 3 (THREE) - MS Access, ODBC, and installable ISAM.  When you are
using DAO, you are using MS Jet.  If you have an ODBC driver or an ISAM
driver for your database "du jour", then you can consider DAO.

See the section "DBMS Choices" in the second link above for the official
details.

Best regards
Roy Fine

Quote:
> Dear All

> I created an application program using DAO 3.5 2-3 year before.   It works
> great!  Now, I need to create a new program that will perform synchronize
> two remote DB.   can I still use DAO or I must have use ADO instead???
> What big difference between them.  Actually, I find DAO/ADO quite
> similar(don't laugh) and some guys in this group say DAO is better than
DAO.
> So, that make me worry ..........

> keni

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:04:27 GMT
 DAO is better than ADO ??!!
Can DAO/Jet be used with Access XP?

Quote:
> Keni,

> Microsoft recommends that you not use DAO on new designs, rather it is
> appropriate only for existing applications.  For instance, in the VC++
.Net
> environment (as well as in most of the VC++ wizards), DAO is no longer
> supported.

> Have a look at the following links:

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vccore/html/vcoriDataAccess.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_dao.3a_.wri...
Quote:
> database_application.asp

> DAO is a set of Com objects, much like ADO.  ADO is based on OLEDB, DAO is
> based on MS Jet Engine.

> You are likely already aware that DAO works only with the MS Jet database
> engine (actually DAO is based on Jet).  Initially, one may conclude that
DAO
> works only with the MS Access database, and that is not entirely correct.
> DAO works with any database that the MS Jet Engine supports - and that
list
> includes 3 (THREE) - MS Access, ODBC, and installable ISAM.  When you are
> using DAO, you are using MS Jet.  If you have an ODBC driver or an ISAM
> driver for your database "du jour", then you can consider DAO.

> See the section "DBMS Choices" in the second link above for the official
> details.

> Best regards
> Roy Fine

> > Dear All

> > I created an application program using DAO 3.5 2-3 year before.   It
works
> > great!  Now, I need to create a new program that will perform
synchronize
> > two remote DB.   can I still use DAO or I must have use ADO instead???
> > What big difference between them.  Actually, I find DAO/ADO quite
> > similar(don't laugh) and some guys in this group say DAO is better than
> DAO.
> > So, that make me worry ..........

> > keni

Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:28:04 GMT
 DAO is better than ADO ??!!
Eagle,

I do not know.  we are still at MS Access 2000 - with work in progress
migrating to Access 2002.

regards
Roy Fine

Quote:
> Can DAO/Jet be used with Access XP?

> > Keni,

> > Microsoft recommends that you not use DAO on new designs, rather it is
> > appropriate only for existing applications.  For instance, in the VC++
> .Net
> > environment (as well as in most of the VC++ wizards), DAO is no longer
> > supported.

> > Have a look at the following links:

> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vccore/html/vcoriDataAccess.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_dao.3a_.wri...

> > database_application.asp

> > DAO is a set of Com objects, much like ADO.  ADO is based on OLEDB, DAO
is
> > based on MS Jet Engine.

> > You are likely already aware that DAO works only with the MS Jet
database
> > engine (actually DAO is based on Jet).  Initially, one may conclude that
> DAO
> > works only with the MS Access database, and that is not entirely
correct.
> > DAO works with any database that the MS Jet Engine supports - and that
> list
> > includes 3 (THREE) - MS Access, ODBC, and installable ISAM.  When you
are
> > using DAO, you are using MS Jet.  If you have an ODBC driver or an ISAM
> > driver for your database "du jour", then you can consider DAO.

> > See the section "DBMS Choices" in the second link above for the official
> > details.

> > Best regards
> > Roy Fine

> > > Dear All

> > > I created an application program using DAO 3.5 2-3 year before.   It
> works
> > > great!  Now, I need to create a new program that will perform
> synchronize
> > > two remote DB.   can I still use DAO or I must have use ADO instead???
> > > What big difference between them.  Actually, I find DAO/ADO quite
> > > similar(don't laugh) and some guys in this group say DAO is better
than
> > DAO.
> > > So, that make me worry ..........

> > > keni

Sun, 12 Sep 2004 03:45:18 GMT
 DAO is better than ADO ??!!
As far as I know, it can. Both Access 2000 and Access 2002 use Jet 4.0 (DAO
3.6)

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

Quote:
> Can DAO/Jet be used with Access XP?

> > Keni,

> > Microsoft recommends that you not use DAO on new designs, rather it is
> > appropriate only for existing applications.  For instance, in the VC++
> .Net
> > environment (as well as in most of the VC++ wizards), DAO is no longer
> > supported.

> > Have a look at the following links:

> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vccore/html/vcoriDataAccess.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_dao.3a_.wri...

> > database_application.asp

> > DAO is a set of Com objects, much like ADO.  ADO is based on OLEDB, DAO
is
> > based on MS Jet Engine.

> > You are likely already aware that DAO works only with the MS Jet
database
> > engine (actually DAO is based on Jet).  Initially, one may conclude that
> DAO
> > works only with the MS Access database, and that is not entirely
correct.
> > DAO works with any database that the MS Jet Engine supports - and that
> list
> > includes 3 (THREE) - MS Access, ODBC, and installable ISAM.  When you
are
> > using DAO, you are using MS Jet.  If you have an ODBC driver or an ISAM
> > driver for your database "du jour", then you can consider DAO.

> > See the section "DBMS Choices" in the second link above for the official
> > details.

> > Best regards
> > Roy Fine

> > > Dear All

> > > I created an application program using DAO 3.5 2-3 year before.   It
> works
> > > great!  Now, I need to create a new program that will perform
> synchronize
> > > two remote DB.   can I still use DAO or I must have use ADO instead???
> > > What big difference between them.  Actually, I find DAO/ADO quite
> > > similar(don't laugh) and some guys in this group say DAO is better
than
> > DAO.
> > > So, that make me worry ..........

> > > keni

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:39:20 GMT

1. ADO, RDO and DAO: what is the best???

2. What is Better ADO or DAO ?

3. ODBC / DAO /RDO /ADO -- which combo is best?

4. ODBC / DAO /RDO /ADO -- which combo is best?

5. VB4 is DAO 3.5 safe, or DAO 3.0 better

6. VB4 is DAO 3.5 safe, or DAO 3.0 better

7. I am stuck with DAO need help please

8. Please tell me what I am doing wrong - DAO parameter Append Query :(

9. I am looking for a good place to buy dev software online

10. I am a VB newbie, looking for good manual

11. Timer Question - I have explained better what I am looking for

12. I am looking for the best book for learning VB.