Need DSN'less connection to Client Access ODBC Driver
Author Message
 Need DSN'less connection to Client Access ODBC Driver

Hello,

I will be distributing the client access odbc driver along with VB
Application so that our clients can access data on our AS400 from the remote
location.  I would like to know how to make a DSN'less connection to the
Client Access ODBC driver.  As a bonus, I'd like to keep the information in
a Data Link file (.udl), and read that in as the connection string (which
I'm not sure how to do).

Thanks for the help!

Karl

Wed, 05 May 2004 01:57:33 GMT
 Need DSN'less connection to Client Access ODBC Driver
Create an empty text file called as400.udl

double-click on it.

Fill out appropriately.

David

Quote:
> Hello,

> I will be distributing the client access odbc driver along with VB
> Application so that our clients can access data on our AS400 from the
remote
> location.  I would like to know how to make a DSN'less connection to the
> Client Access ODBC driver.  As a bonus, I'd like to keep the information
in
> a Data Link file (.udl), and read that in as the connection string (which
> I'm not sure how to do).

> Thanks for the help!

> Karl

Wed, 05 May 2004 03:17:04 GMT
 Need DSN'less connection to Client Access ODBC Driver
Nahhh... that won't do it.  But thanks.

Quote:
> Create an empty text file called as400.udl

> double-click on it.

> Fill out appropriately.

> David

> > Hello,

> > I will be distributing the client access odbc driver along with VB
> > Application so that our clients can access data on our AS400 from the
> remote
> > location.  I would like to know how to make a DSN'less connection to the
> > Client Access ODBC driver.  As a bonus, I'd like to keep the information
> in
> > a Data Link file (.udl), and read that in as the connection string
(which
> > I'm not sure how to do).

> > Thanks for the help!

> > Karl

Wed, 05 May 2004 03:26:43 GMT
 Need DSN'less connection to Client Access ODBC Driver
Why not? That's how I do it. Create the udl, using the wizard to
establish the connection to the 400, then open the udl in Notepad to
display the connection string.

OH! You're asking how to read the connection string from the udl in
VB! Just open it with a textstream object (using the filesystemobject
- there are good examples in online help) or with the old Open #
syntax and read it.

But, why bother? Since you plan to distribut the udl, why bother
extracting the string from it? Why not use the udl to open your
connections?
 Bob
On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:26:43 -0700, "Karl J. Stubsjoen"

Quote:

>Nahhh... that won't do it.  But thanks.

>> Create an empty text file called as400.udl

>> double-click on it.

>> Fill out appropriately.

>> David

>> > Hello,

>> > I will be distributing the client access odbc driver along with VB
>> > Application so that our clients can access data on our AS400 from the
>> remote
>> > location.  I would like to know how to make a DSN'less connection to the
>> > Client Access ODBC driver.  As a bonus, I'd like to keep the information
>> in
>> > a Data Link file (.udl), and read that in as the connection string
>(which
>> > I'm not sure how to do).

>> > Thanks for the help!

>> > Karl

HTH,
Bob Barrows
Please reply to the newsgroup. My reply-to address is my "spam trap" and I don't check it very often.

Wed, 05 May 2004 23:27:24 GMT

1. Crystal and ODBC DSN/DSN-less connections - do I need USER DSN or SYSTEM DSN

2. Import Excel with ODBC Drivers and DSN-less connection

3. Need Connection string for VB6 DAO DSN-LESS Connections to SQL Server 2000

4. DSN-less text driver connection??

5. DSN less connection to server error IM012 Driver keyword syntax error

6. Need Connection string for VB6 DAO DSN-LESS Connections to SQL Server 2000

7. DSN-less text driver connection??

8. DSN-less ODBC Connections (Oracle)

9. DSN-less ODBC connection to SQL Server

10. ODBC Settings for an ADO DSN less connection

11. DSN-Less vs ODBC Connection

12. DSN-less ODBC connection to SQL Server