How to detect if a table has a changed ?
Author Message
 How to detect if a table has a changed ?

Hi,

        I have a distributed VB app that needs to refresh a screen
when  a central database table has changed. (Insertion or deletion).
Is there some event that we can detect remotely to tell when a change
has taken place in a table on the server? Or do we have to just query
the table every so often?  It seems like such a waste of bandwidth to
have to query the table every couple of minutes or so...
I'm using MSAccess right now, but the app will end up on SQL server...

                                thanks,
                                Tony C.

Sun, 08 May 2005 03:08:08 GMT
 How to detect if a table has a changed ?

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 How to detect if a table has a changed ?

Quote:

> Hi,

> I have a distributed VB app that needs to refresh a screen
> when  a central database table has changed. (Insertion or deletion).
> Is there some event that we can detect remotely to tell when a change
> has taken place in a table on the server? Or do we have to just query
> the table every so often?  It seems like such a waste of bandwidth to
> have to query the table every couple of minutes or so...
> I'm using MSAccess right now, but the app will end up on SQL server...

> thanks,
> Tony C.

Sun, 08 May 2005 13:34:23 GMT
 How to detect if a table has a changed ?

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 How to detect if a table has a changed ?
Tony,

There is no event. What you could do is to store date of chages in some
table every time, when you application chages any table. Then check that
information from your application once in a period of time.

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:

> Hi,

> I have a distributed VB app that needs to refresh a screen
> when  a central database table has changed. (Insertion or deletion).
> Is there some event that we can detect remotely to tell when a change
> has taken place in a table on the server? Or do we have to just query
> the table every so often?  It seems like such a waste of bandwidth to
> have to query the table every couple of minutes or so...
> I'm using MSAccess right now, but the app will end up on SQL server...

> thanks,
> Tony C.

Sun, 08 May 2005 21:10:54 GMT
 How to detect if a table has a changed ?

Quote:
>Tony,

>There is no event. What you could do is to store date of chages in some
>table every time, when you application chages any table. Then check that
>information from your application once in a period of time.

Thanks, Val,

        I think that is probably the simples way.....
                                Tony C.

Mon, 16 May 2005 01:03:10 GMT

1. exporting table through vb without strings having quotes

2. Having Trouble populating an array from table values

3. Having a control paste text into a table

4. Open a doc, grab a range without having the whole doc being tabled

5. Newbiw having problems with Permanent QueryDef: Query input must contain at least one table or query

6. Having something like a "table"

7. Problem in creating a query joinning 3 tables having 1-many relationship

8. Having trouble changing the focus...

9. having vb 5.0 change screen resolution and color depth

10. VB4 Question: Having trouble changing .ScrollBars property

11. having excel send an outlook email message when a field is changed

12. having to pause between writing and reading changes