Increase field size?
Author Message
 Increase field size?

Using VB6 SP3 and ADO is it possible to increase the size of an Access
97 database field? If so would you be so kind as to explain (simply,
please, I'm somewhat of a newbie) how to go about it?
If it is not possible with ADO is it possible with DAO, and if so
could you please explain (especially since I have never used DAO)?

I would never be making any fields smaller so I am not concerned about
possible data loss due to filed resizing.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

TIA
Sharon

Mon, 30 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Increase field size?
You have to use ADOX to do this (or DAO I suppose...)

ADOX is a separate reference from ADODB, but it is installed as a part of
MDAC.  It has a totally serapate object model from ADODB, but it's pretty
easy to navigate.

You need to:
    1) save the current contents of the column
    2) delete the existing column
    3) add a new column with the new size
    4) reinsert your saved values

Check out MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/adod50s7.htm)
for details.  In particular, look at the Example for the DefinedSize
Property, which does exactly what you want to do.

Good Luck!
Glenn

Quote:
> Using VB6 SP3 and ADO is it possible to increase the size of an Access
> 97 database field? If so would you be so kind as to explain (simply,
> please, I'm somewhat of a newbie) how to go about it?
> If it is not possible with ADO is it possible with DAO, and if so
> could you please explain (especially since I have never used DAO)?

> I would never be making any fields smaller so I am not concerned about
> possible data loss due to filed resizing.

> Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

> TIA
> Sharon

Tue, 01 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Increase field size?
Thanks Glenn. This looks like exactly what I was searching for.

Sharon

Quote:
>You have to use ADOX to do this (or DAO I suppose...)

>ADOX is a separate reference from ADODB, but it is installed as a part of
>MDAC.  It has a totally serapate object model from ADODB, but it's pretty
>easy to navigate.

>You need to:
>    1) save the current contents of the column
>    2) delete the existing column
>    3) add a new column with the new size
>    4) reinsert your saved values

>Check out MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/adod50s7.htm)
>for details.  In particular, look at the Example for the DefinedSize
>Property, which does exactly what you want to do.

>Good Luck!
>Glenn

>> Using VB6 SP3 and ADO is it possible to increase the size of an Access
>> 97 database field? If so would you be so kind as to explain (simply,
>> please, I'm somewhat of a newbie) how to go about it?
>> If it is not possible with ADO is it possible with DAO, and if so
>> could you please explain (especially since I have never used DAO)?

>> I would never be making any fields smaller so I am not concerned about
>> possible data loss due to filed resizing.

>> Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

>> TIA
>> Sharon

Wed, 02 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Increase field size in linked table

2. increasing Field size from code

3. Access 2 increasing the size of a field using Basic

4. Increase size of drop-down for field?

5. Increase Size of Drop-Down Form Field?

6. How to increase a field size programmatically?

7. Insert Pic as OLE increase file size dramatically

8. Increasing size of Access Application

9. mdw increases in size...

10. Database keeps on increasing in size

11. Why does DB increase in size ?

12. Usage commandbar ==> increasing file size