How easy is it to provide soap-based access to a remote ADO Recordset?
Author Message
 How easy is it to provide soap-based access to a remote ADO Recordset?

On the client, I would like to use plain old data bound controls that access
an ADO Rescordset (including Update).

On the server, I have a fabricated in-memory ADO Recordset that I want the
client to access using soap protocols.

Is there anything that does this somewhat automagically specifically for ADO
Recordsets? ...or is it entirely roll-your-own.

(p.s. I'm familiar with ADO/RDS and want to avoid that).

--
Michael Herman
Parallelspace Corporation

Tue, 10 May 2005 11:58:14 GMT
 How easy is it to provide soap-based access to a remote ADO Recordset?
There's an sample of using a customer type mapper for ADO recordsets in the
SoapToolkit sample download.

> On the client, I would like to use plain old data bound controls that
access
> an ADO Rescordset (including Update).

> On the server, I have a fabricated in-memory ADO Recordset that I want the
> client to access using soap protocols.

> Is there anything that does this somewhat automagically specifically for
ADO
> Recordsets? ...or is it entirely roll-your-own.

> (p.s. I'm familiar with ADO/RDS and want to avoid that).

> --
> Michael Herman
> Parallelspace Corporation
> Developers of Parallelspace eMail for Groove Workspace

Tue, 10 May 2005 12:06:48 GMT
 How easy is it to provide soap-based access to a remote ADO Recordset?
ADO also has the ability to save a recordset as XML, which you can send
across a webservice without having to muck with complex data types.  It's a
nice way of sending heterogenous data sets.  Check out

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxm...
soapguide_ado.asp

for information.

Quote:
> On the client, I would like to use plain old data bound controls that
access
> an ADO Rescordset (including Update).

> On the server, I have a fabricated in-memory ADO Recordset that I want the
> client to access using soap protocols.

> Is there anything that does this somewhat automagically specifically for
ADO
> Recordsets? ...or is it entirely roll-your-own.

> (p.s. I'm familiar with ADO/RDS and want to avoid that).

> --
> Michael Herman
> Parallelspace Corporation
> Developers of Parallelspace eMail for Groove Workspace

Wed, 11 May 2005 01:36:35 GMT
 How easy is it to provide soap-based access to a remote ADO Recordset?
Thanks Roger.  I've checked out the sample and I need to think more about
this.

In more detail ... I want changes in the clients-side (remote) recordset to
be reflected in the server-side recordset (and database) more or less in
real-time.  This may sound wierd but physically the client and server are on
the same machine.

Michael.

Quote:
> There's an sample of using a customer type mapper for ADO recordsets in
the
> SoapToolkit sample download.

> --
rights.

> > On the client, I would like to use plain old data bound controls that
> access
> > an ADO Rescordset (including Update).

> > On the server, I have a fabricated in-memory ADO Recordset that I want
the
> > client to access using soap protocols.

> > Is there anything that does this somewhat automagically specifically for
> ADO
> > Recordsets? ...or is it entirely roll-your-own.

> > (p.s. I'm familiar with ADO/RDS and want to avoid that).

> > --
> > Michael Herman
> > Parallelspace Corporation
> > Developers of Parallelspace eMail for Groove Workspace

Mon, 16 May 2005 11:32:50 GMT
 How easy is it to provide soap-based access to a remote ADO Recordset?
Why would you use Soap if the client and server are on the same machine?
Soap introduced quite a bit of overhead converting the recordset into XML
and back again.  This overhead is acceptable is you need to cross firewalls
or transfer data between architectures but I don't se any advantage when
you're running on the same box?

> Thanks Roger.  I've checked out the sample and I need to think more about
> this.

> In more detail ... I want changes in the clients-side (remote) recordset
> be reflected in the server-side recordset (and database) more or less in
> real-time.  This may sound wierd but physically the client and server are
on
> the same machine.

> Michael.

> > There's an sample of using a customer type mapper for ADO recordsets in
> the
> > SoapToolkit sample download.

> > --
> rights.

> > > On the client, I would like to use plain old data bound controls that
> > access
> > > an ADO Rescordset (including Update).

> > > On the server, I have a fabricated in-memory ADO Recordset that I want
> the
> > > client to access using soap protocols.

> > > Is there anything that does this somewhat automagically specifically
for
> > ADO
> > > Recordsets? ...or is it entirely roll-your-own.

> > > (p.s. I'm familiar with ADO/RDS and want to avoid that).

> > > --
> > > Michael Herman
> > > Parallelspace Corporation
> > > Developers of Parallelspace eMail for Groove Workspace

Wed, 18 May 2005 05:45:37 GMT
 How easy is it to provide soap-based access to a remote ADO Recordset?
There's a new generation of applications like Groove that are only
supporting SOAP for interprocess communication ("localhost soap").  Check
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/pl/xml/02/11/04/021104plgroove.xml and
http://www.groove.net/devzone/webservices/  for some details.

No DDE, OLE, ... Check it out.

Cheers,
Michael.

Quote:
> Why would you use Soap if the client and server are on the same machine?
> Soap introduced quite a bit of overhead converting the recordset into XML
> and back again.  This overhead is acceptable is you need to cross
firewalls
> or transfer data between architectures but I don't se any advantage when
> you're running on the same box?

> --
rights.

> > Thanks Roger.  I've checked out the sample and I need to think more
about
> > this.

> > In more detail ... I want changes in the clients-side (remote) recordset
> > be reflected in the server-side recordset (and database) more or less in
> > real-time.  This may sound wierd but physically the client and server
are
> on
> > the same machine.

> > Michael.

> > > There's an sample of using a customer type mapper for ADO recordsets
in
> > the
> > > SoapToolkit sample download.

> > > --
> > rights.

> > > access

> > the

> for
> > > ADO

Mon, 30 May 2005 01:04:24 GMT

1. XML SOAP Message to Java Based SOAP Interface (Java Servlet)

2. Form ADO Recordset based on table joins - crashes Access

3. Problems with Oracle provided ADO Recordset

4. best and/or easy way to drill down a recordset with ado

5. ADO Access Remote Access

6. Requery Data Source Object based on ADO Recordset

7. Requery Data Source Object based on ADO Recordset

8. ADO recordset based on join update fails

9. Command-based ADO recordset NOT UPDATABLE????

10. Help: ADO Recordsets Based on #tmp Tables

11. ADO 2.0 Error passing recordset from DCOM Server to Remote Client

12. Problem using ADO to delete remote recordset