Migrating to .NET
Author Message
 Migrating to .NET

Before I begin the long journey of migrating my apps from VB6 to .NET, does
anyone have any pointers they might throw at me? :)
Pretty much everything I have now uses ADO, either with or without data
controls. No data control are ever bound in my apps (it's a personal thing
;)  ).  Some apps also use DAO for things like creating on-the-fly Access
databases, etc. (Originally, everything used DAO or RDO, but was converted
with the advent of ADO).
Also, I have several of my own controls, compiled in both VC and VB. Will I
need to rebuild my controls with .NET? Will there be any advantages?
Disadvantages?
I'm looking forward to working with XML more in .NET as my industry goes
more and more web-based everyday, so my decision is solid on migrating.  Any
thoughts?
Anyone?
Bueller?...  Bueller?...  Bueller?...

--
Will Osborn

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:15:59 GMT
 Migrating to .NET
First, be aware that DAO is not supported in any Visual Studio managed
code; this means VB, C#, and C++ with managed extensions. You will probably
need to convert that code to ADOX (ADO for Data Definition and Security).

You should be able to use your existing controls, via a COM interop layer.
Remember that .Net does not support COM natively. Any old DLLs or OCXs will
need to be "wrapped" in an interop layer that allows them to work in .Net.

Last, the upgrade wizard in .Net is good, but the language is significantly
different and you should plan on code modifications. Further, it does not
convert ADO code to ADO.Net; this you will need to do manually, because the
object models are significantly different.

Hope this helps!
Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

http://www.microsoft.com/security.

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:20:15 GMT
 Migrating to .NET
Yes it does Steve.  Immensely :)
Thank you :)
Any other ideas or thoughts are still welcome :)

Quote:
> First, be aware that DAO is not supported in any Visual Studio managed
> code; this means VB, C#, and C++ with managed extensions. You will
probably
> need to convert that code to ADOX (ADO for Data Definition and Security).

> You should be able to use your existing controls, via a COM interop layer.
> Remember that .Net does not support COM natively. Any old DLLs or OCXs
will
> need to be "wrapped" in an interop layer that allows them to work in .Net.

> Last, the upgrade wizard in .Net is good, but the language is
significantly
> different and you should plan on code modifications. Further, it does not
> convert ADO code to ADO.Net; this you will need to do manually, because
the
> object models are significantly different.

> Hope this helps!
> Steven Bras, MCSD
> Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

rights.

> Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology
> Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
> http://www.microsoft.com/security.

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:37:19 GMT

1. Problem migrating VS.NET 2002 to 2003

2. Migrating an Access VBA application to .NET

3. Migrating from VB 6 to VB.NET

4. Migrating to VB.net from VB6?

5. Migrating vb app to .net

6. Migrating a lil API to .net?

7. migrating from VS .NET to SDK only

8. Migrate to VB6 or .Net

9. Help:Migrating reports from VB.Beta to VB.Net 2003

10. ANN: eVBToDotNetForms - Migrate your eVB Forms to .Net

11. Migrate eVB to .NET CF?

12. VB.NET: Steps for Converting a Windows .NET Application to a Web .NET Application