Adding new column into Access increases the size of the file
Author Message
 Adding new column into Access increases the size of the file

Hello all,
I am using ADO 2.5 and VB5 to manipulate the Access 2000 database.
I found that after I add new column the size of the file increase by 64KB if
the database contains about 20 records already.
Is this a bug?  If not, please let me know how to write code that will not
increase the size of the file since the larger the database the larger the
size of the file increases.
Thank you for any help in advance.

--------------------

http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/
---------------------------------fect---------------------------------------
--------------------

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 06:46:02 GMT
 Adding new column into Access increases the size of the file
What happens if you compact the database afterwards? Does the size decrease?
It may well be that a new table is being created, rather than the existing
one being modified.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

Quote:
> Hello all,
> I am using ADO 2.5 and VB5 to manipulate the Access 2000 database.
> I found that after I add new column the size of the file increase by 64KB
if
> the database contains about 20 records already.
> Is this a bug?  If not, please let me know how to write code that will not
> increase the size of the file since the larger the database the larger the
> size of the file increases.
> Thank you for any help in advance.

> --------------------

> http://www.prtracker.com/download.html
> http://www.prtracker.com/asp/KnowledgeBase.asp
> http://www.prtracker.com/info.html
> ---------------------------------fect-------------------------------------
--
> --------------------

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:35:25 GMT
 Adding new column into Access increases the size of the file
I used Access to compact the database and found the size decreased from
232KB to 192KB.
How do you compact the database using VB and ADO?  I know how to do that
using VB and DAO but not ADO.  Thank you for your help.
Sincerely,

--------------------

http://www.prtracker.com/download.html
http://www.prtracker.com/asp/KnowledgeBase.asp
http://www.prtracker.com/info.html
--------------------

Quote:
> What happens if you compact the database afterwards? Does the size
decrease?
> It may well be that a new table is being created, rather than the existing
> one being modified.

> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele

> > Hello all,
> > I am using ADO 2.5 and VB5 to manipulate the Access 2000 database.
> > I found that after I add new column the size of the file increase by
64KB
> if
> > the database contains about 20 records already.
> > Is this a bug?  If not, please let me know how to write code that will
not
> > increase the size of the file since the larger the database the larger
the
> > size of the file increases.
> > Thank you for any help in advance.

> --
> > --------------------

> > http://www.prtracker.com/download.html
> > http://www.prtracker.com/asp/KnowledgeBase.asp
> > http://www.prtracker.com/info.html

> ---------------------------------fect-------------------------------------
> --
> > --------------------

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:00:37 GMT
 Adding new column into Access increases the size of the file
Check out the following:

HOWTO: Compact Microsoft Access Database via ADO (Q230501)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q230501
Q7) How do I compact an Access database?
http://www.able-consulting.com/ADOX_Faq.htm#Q7

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

Quote:
> I used Access to compact the database and found the size decreased from
> 232KB to 192KB.
> How do you compact the database using VB and ADO?  I know how to do that
> using VB and DAO but not ADO.  Thank you for your help.
> Sincerely,

> --------------------

> http://www.prtracker.com/download.html
> http://www.prtracker.com/asp/KnowledgeBase.asp
> http://www.prtracker.com/info.html
> --------------------

> > What happens if you compact the database afterwards? Does the size
> decrease?
> > It may well be that a new table is being created, rather than the
existing
> > one being modified.

> > --
> > Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> > http://I.Am/DougSteele

> > > Hello all,
> > > I am using ADO 2.5 and VB5 to manipulate the Access 2000 database.
> > > I found that after I add new column the size of the file increase by
> 64KB
> > if
> > > the database contains about 20 records already.
> > > Is this a bug?  If not, please let me know how to write code that will
> not
> > > increase the size of the file since the larger the database the larger
> the
> > > size of the file increases.
> > > Thank you for any help in advance.

> > --
> > > --------------------

> > > http://www.prtracker.com/download.html
> > > http://www.prtracker.com/asp/KnowledgeBase.asp
> > > http://www.prtracker.com/info.html

> ---------------------------------fect-------------------------------------
> > --
> > > --------------------

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:03:40 GMT

1. Access 7.0 File Size Increases

2. How to increase relative references by one when adding two columns at a time

3. TrueDBGrid: How increase SNO field when adding new

4. Increasing size of Access Application

5. Access 2 increasing the size of a field using Basic

6. Access database size increase

7. Help - MS Access Size Increased!

8. Insert Pic as OLE increase file size dramatically

9. Usage commandbar ==> increasing file size

10. file size increase problem

11. file size increase problem

12. Increase spead adding Access db Record to Word VBA listbox