Timeout Expired Error
Author Message
 Timeout Expired Error

Hello!

I have a distributed environment for Online Transaction Processing
System(OLTP).
My VB components are running under MTS on a separate server machine that
communicate with the SQL Server 7.0 on the different machine.
The request from the Web clients successfully executed by MTS components
that UPDATE or GET data from SQL Server 7.0

On the  MTS Machine a process run at End of Day, that manipulates huge
amount of data i.e Update records, Move records from one table to another
and Delete records from the tables in the transaction context.
Many storedprocedures call during this process under one MTS Transaction.
and these storedprocedures repeatedly call in the loop. This yields a huge
transaction log that I don't want to maintain that.

I got the following error on the line that execute the stored procedure. and
this occurs randomly on different stored procedures.

Error:[Timeout expired]
Err No. -2147217871
Err Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

- ADO Command.Time out is set to 0
- Query Time out Value in SQL Server is set to '0' (unlimited) and query
wait time is set to '-1'
- I have used "the trunc. log on chkpt. database option(True)".
- Transaction log file property is set to auto grow by 100 %
- and the initial Transaction Log size is set to 300 MB

But still the Long-running Transactions may cause a problem i.e.

1) Is there any solution, tip, suggestion or alternative to overcome the
Timeout Expired Error?
2) Also please tell me the originating error source, (i.e. SQL Server orADO)

Thanks!

M.A. Naveed

Sun, 16 May 2004 16:43:20 GMT
 Timeout Expired Error
Hi,

It could be not because of CommandTimeout, but because of
ConnectionTimeout. I do not know how you are opening
connection, but if your command is not associated with
some particular opened connection then you can get that
kind of error. Check if your timeout is 15 seconds, then
it looks like you get Connection timeout error.

Val

Quote:

Mon, 17 May 2004 06:33:43 GMT
 Timeout Expired Error
Hello Val,
The connection is successfully built by the ADO connection object and there
is NO "CONNECTION TIME OUT ERROR"
Once the connection is made then this is assigned to the command object
here is the sample code:

Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
Dim Cmd As ADODB.Command
Set cnn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
cnn.Open Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=ct21;Initial Catalog=RCSDTU;User
Id=sa;Password=;Connect Timeout=10
Set Cod = CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
Cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn
Cmd.CommandText = storedprocedurename
Cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
Cmd.CommandTimeout = 0
'Assume there is no parameters
Cmd.Execute '------------------------------->>>> Generates Error: [Timeout
expired]Err No. -2147217871

Err Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

Regards,
Naveed

Quote:
> Hi,

> It could be not because of CommandTimeout, but because of
> ConnectionTimeout. I do not know how you are opening
> connection, but if your command is not associated with
> some particular opened connection then you can get that
> kind of error. Check if your timeout is 15 seconds, then
> it looks like you get Connection timeout error.

> Val

Tue, 18 May 2004 00:31:25 GMT
 Timeout Expired Error

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Timeout Expired Error
Hello Val,
The connection is successfully built by the ADO connection object and there
is NO "CONNECTION TIME OUT ERROR"
Once the connection is made then this is assigned to the command object
here is the sample code:

Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
Dim Cmd As ADODB.Command
Set cnn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
cnn.Open Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=ct21;Initial Catalog=RCSDTU;User
Id=sa;Password=;Connect Timeout=10
Set Cmd = CreateObject("ADODB.Command") '----------------------->>>> This is
Cmd, not Cod was pasted by mistake in the previous mail
Cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn
Cmd.CommandText = storedprocedurename
Cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
Cmd.CommandTimeout = 0
'Assume there is no parameters
Cmd.Execute '------------------------------->>>> Generates Error: [Timeout
expired]Err No. -2147217871

Err Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

Regards,
Naveed

Quote:
> Hi,

> It could be not because of CommandTimeout, but because of
> ConnectionTimeout. I do not know how you are opening
> connection, but if your command is not associated with
> some particular opened connection then you can get that
> kind of error. Check if your timeout is 15 seconds, then
> it looks like you get Connection timeout error.

> Val

Tue, 18 May 2004 00:35:18 GMT
 Timeout Expired Error
Hi,

You have next line of code

Cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn

If you think that it assigns opened connection to your
command then it is  wrong. What it does is it takes
connection string from you opened connection and assigns
it to command object. It means that command will not have
already opened connection and will try to open new one
based on that connection string. And of cource that new
connection wil have its own timeout. ActiveConnection is
pointing to object and if you want it works properly use
SET

Set Cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn

Try to change it. It does not mean that it is a problem
but it could be.

Val

Quote:

Generates Error: [Timeout

>expired]Err No. -2147217871

>Err Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

>Regards,
>Naveed

>> Hi,

>> It could be not because of CommandTimeout, but because
of
>> ConnectionTimeout. I do not know how you are opening
>> connection, but if your command is not associated with
>> some particular opened connection then you can get that
>> kind of error. Check if your timeout is 15 seconds, then
>> it looks like you get Connection timeout error.

>> Val

Mon, 17 May 2004 20:50:22 GMT

1. Timeout Expired Error

2. Timeout Expired Error!!!

3. Timeout Expired Error!!!

4. Timeout expired error

5. Timeout Expired Error With SQL server ODBC

6. Timeout Expired Error With SQL server ODBC

7. VB5, RDO & SQL Server Timeout Expired Error

8. Timeout Expired Error?

9. Timeout Expired Error!!!

10. Error # 5 Timeout expired

11. Error 3234: ODBC--remote query timeout expired

12. run time error: timeout expired