Best Practices
Author Message
 Best Practices

I have recently switched from Access to VB6 and just want to know some of
the best practices for data access so that I can get into good habits early.
All my apps will be multi-user network apps using Access for the backend.
If someone could point me to some articles relating to Connections,
Recordsets, etc., it
would be much appreciated.

For example:

Connection:  When is the best time to open a connection and should it be
closed every time I complete a data retrieval?  Is there any problem with
leaving it open until the application ends?

Updating via Recordset vs. Stored Procedure...

Thanks

Scott Rymer

Sun, 08 May 2005 22:09:49 GMT
 Best Practices
Scott,

Avoid using of any bound controls and bound modes. Work with ADO object
directly

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> I have recently switched from Access to VB6 and just want to know some of
> the best practices for data access so that I can get into good habits
early.
> All my apps will be multi-user network apps using Access for the backend.
> If someone could point me to some articles relating to Connections,
> Recordsets, etc., it
> would be much appreciated.

> For example:

> Connection:  When is the best time to open a connection and should it be
> closed every time I complete a data retrieval?  Is there any problem with
> leaving it open until the application ends?

> Updating via Recordset vs. Stored Procedure...

> Thanks

> Scott Rymer

Sun, 08 May 2005 22:16:15 GMT
 Best Practices
Val,

So you mean don't bind any controls on my forms to a datasource?  How do I
go about getting data into a form which may have say >30 controls on it? ie.
textboxes, checkboxes, option groups, etc.

Scott

Quote:
> Scott,

> Avoid using of any bound controls and bound modes. Work with ADO object
> directly

> --
> Val Mazur
> Microsoft MVP

> > I have recently switched from Access to VB6 and just want to know some
of
> > the best practices for data access so that I can get into good habits
> early.
> > All my apps will be multi-user network apps using Access for the
backend.
> > If someone could point me to some articles relating to Connections,
> > Recordsets, etc., it
> > would be much appreciated.

> > For example:

> > Connection:  When is the best time to open a connection and should it be
> > closed every time I complete a data retrieval?  Is there any problem
with
> > leaving it open until the application ends?

> > Updating via Recordset vs. Stored Procedure...

> > Thanks

> > Scott Rymer

Sun, 08 May 2005 22:36:46 GMT
 Best Practices
Scott,

You could populate your controls using your own code. Binding limits you in
flexibility of your code and you would have less control over you code.

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Val,

> So you mean don't bind any controls on my forms to a datasource?  How do I
> go about getting data into a form which may have say >30 controls on it?
ie.
> textboxes, checkboxes, option groups, etc.

> Scott

> > Scott,

> > Avoid using of any bound controls and bound modes. Work with ADO object
> > directly

> > --
> > Val Mazur
> > Microsoft MVP

> > > I have recently switched from Access to VB6 and just want to know some
> of
> > > the best practices for data access so that I can get into good habits
> > early.
> > > All my apps will be multi-user network apps using Access for the
> backend.
> > > If someone could point me to some articles relating to Connections,
> > > Recordsets, etc., it
> > > would be much appreciated.

> > > For example:

> > > Connection:  When is the best time to open a connection and should it
be
> > > closed every time I complete a data retrieval?  Is there any problem
> with
> > > leaving it open until the application ends?

> > > Updating via Recordset vs. Stored Procedure...

> > > Thanks

> > > Scott Rymer

Sun, 08 May 2005 22:40:02 GMT

1. Access Development Best Practices Chat 10/03/02

2. change in join syntax best practices?

3. best practice

4. Good practice question

5. VBA "good practice" re If statements

6. Best practice for data-related business objects

7. Best Practices: DataSet

8. Best Practice for Exception Handling?

9. Matter Of The Best Practice?

10. Reports and Datasets, Best Practice? Help Required :/

11. Data Binding Best Practices

12. Cleaning up variables - best practice?