Direct connection or Replication?
Author Message
 Direct connection or Replication?

Hi All,
I'm writing a VB application to connect to a central SQL Server from different cities(via VPN).
Clients(VB applications) need to access the most updated data on the server.
Is it recommended to install SQL Server in each city and use transactional replication
to central server, or use direct connection of VB applications to central server?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Amin

Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:05:16 GMT
 Direct connection or Replication?
hi,

It is not necessary to install sqlserver in each city and
access the data into your application.  You can use the
direct connnection because it is cost effective.  It is
also more effective if the data is going to change every
min. In transactional replication you need to wait for the
data to be updated into the local server and then only you
will be able to get the latest.  the time difference is
more when compared to the direct connection.

Quote:

Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:50:58 GMT
 Direct connection or Replication?
Hi,
Thank you very much. I agree!
Actually this a ticket reservation system. Suppose that a new flight is
added to the central database and it contains 150 available sits. Then
clients(from different cities) begin to sell tickets. Whenever a ticket is
sold, it is deducted from available sits of the flight. Therefore each
client needs to exactly know how many tickets(or sits) are available so that
not to sell more than the real capacity. If I replicate the number of empty
sits to each city, there will be considerable latency. Because when a ticket
is sold, the client should update the central server(by replication), then
central server must replicate it to other clients. This is why I was
thinking of direct connection from VB clients and SQL Server via VPN.
Basically I think the VB applications must not work when the connection is
not available.
Thank you again!
Amin

Quote:
> hi,

> It is not necessary to install sqlserver in each city and
> access the data into your application.  You can use the
> direct connnection because it is cost effective.  It is
> also more effective if the data is going to change every
> min. In transactional replication you need to wait for the
> data to be updated into the local server and then only you
> will be able to get the latest.  the time difference is
> more when compared to the direct connection.

Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:56:17 GMT

1. Replication Connection

2. Shadow Direct Connection

3. Dataset performance vs. direct connections

4. Direct cable connection

5. Direct Cable Connection - Help on API

6. Direct Printer Motor Connection..??

7. XMLHttpRequest - no direct connection property?

8. Direct connection to Oracle without ODBC?

9. ODBC Direct Connection still usuable.

10. Can I call Direct Cable Connection Programatically?

11. Direct Cable Connection - Help on API

12. Can I call Direct Cable Connection Programatically?