Can't read chinese character on English Version of NT 4.0
Author Message
 Can't read chinese character on English Version of NT 4.0

I need to write an application that require to read data from an Excel file, then use the data to generate a html file. The excel file may contain Chinese Character and the application need to
be running on NT4.0 English Version. When my application read those chinese character from the excel, it change to "?". Do anyone know how to solve the problem? thanks a lot.

B.Jea.

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:39:06 GMT
 Can't read chinese character on English Version of NT 4.0
I know this one too well, but don't have an easy solution.

I suspect the problem is going to be with the English Version of NT 4.0.  We
are currently developing a chinese version of application.  We use Win2000
English version, but set the default language to Simplified Chinese  when we
are working with the Chinese version of the application.  The translation
strings we have are in Excel.  In order to paste them into the source code,
we have to copy the string from excel and paste into Word as unicode text,
then copy from word and paste into the code editor.  If we try to go
directly from excel to code, we get question marks.  Under NT 4.0, it
wouldn't work at all, although once we found that we could do this under
Win2000 we didn't persue it any further under NT.

Philip Meeks
ETV Technologies

Quote:

> I need to write an application that require to read data from an Excel

file, then use the data to generate a html file. The excel file may contain
Chinese Character and the application need to
Quote:
> be running on NT4.0 English Version. When my application read those

chinese character from the excel, it change to "?". Do anyone know how to
solve the problem? thanks a lot.
Quote:

> B.Jea.

Sun, 21 Dec 2003 02:33:20 GMT

1. How to retrive Chinese characters in VB(English)?

2. NT English & Chinese Fonts

3. Implementing a custom web browser to read chinese big5 characters

4. Reading Chinese Character in VB5

5. Implementing a custom web browser to read chinese big5 characters

6. read chinese character words from XML file using filectl

7. Buy an version of vb 4.0 english

8. Chinese characters won't show on VB menu

9. HELP: I lost VB5's SP3 site - English version

10. string processing with both Chinese and English

11. Open excel file with chinese charater in English envirnoment

12. 'Canned' data in VB program