Database Over Net 
Author Message
 Database Over Net

Dear all

I am an application developer and database administrator for a small
company.

I want to know

How i can develop a dabase applcation which can be accessed over the net

Using SQL Server 2000,Visual Basic 6 Prof
and Windows 2000  small business server

We have a global IP for our windows 2000 server provided by our ISP

Is that all sufficient to go about

I mean i am talking about RDS in VB

Please give me a reply

I am waiting for ur suggestion

Prakash



Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:47:05 GMT  
 Database Over Net
You need to install RDS on the remote server that hosts both your data and
the Microsoft Web Server.

You connect to the RDS server using your normal ADO objects in vb using the
MSRemote Provider.

Experiment with AdoAnywhere test server:
Your ADO Connection String:
"Provider=MS Remote;Remote Server=http://213.246.147.10 ;Remote
Provider=MSDASQL;DSN=odbc_access;UID=Admin"

SQL that works:
SELECT * from items

See http://www.adoanywhere.com/ado_faq/rds and http://www.rdsdeveloper.com

--
Michael Collier Bsc (Hons)

Interactive ADO Browser Trial  www.adoanywhere.com/cnet
Free ADO Browser (FAB)  www.adoanywhere.com/fab
Home Page www.adoanywhere.com

--



Quote:
> Dear all

> I am an application developer and database administrator for a small
> company.

> I want to know

> How i can develop a dabase applcation which can be accessed over the net

> Using SQL Server 2000,Visual Basic 6 Prof
> and Windows 2000  small business server

> We have a global IP for our windows 2000 server provided by our ISP

> Is that all sufficient to go about

> I mean i am talking about RDS in VB

> Please give me a reply

> I am waiting for ur suggestion

> Prakash



Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:58:09 GMT  
 Database Over Net

Hai Mike

I couldnt understand this

" You need to install RDS on the remote server that hosts both your data
and
the Microsoft Web Server."

If I get a copy of Win 2000 server ,will i get RDS and Can i use it as
Microsoft Web Server.

Regards
Prakash

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:20:15 GMT  
 Database Over Net
Hai

i tried this but never worked

Dim I As Integer
    On Error GoTo connectionerror

    Set cn = New ADODB.Connection

    cn.CursorLocation = adUseClient
    cn.Open "Provider=MS Remote;Remote Server=http://213.246.147.10 ;Remote"
_
            & " Provider=MSDASQL;DSN=odbc_access;UID=Admin"

    Dim strsql1 As String
                Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
                strsql1 = "SELECT * from items"
                rs.Open strsql1, cn

    MsgBox rs.RecordCount
connectionerror:
    For I = 0 To cn.Errors.Count
        Debug.Print cn.Errors(I).Description

    Next I

Error is runtimeerror 3265

item cannot be found in the corresponding  requested name or ordinal

Regards
Prakash



Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:56:55 GMT  
 Database Over Net
RDS runs as part of the web server.

I cannot remember which versions of the Microsoft Web Server is available
for each version of windows but it has the name IIS or PWS. Either one
should be on your windows CD.

Once you have installed your webserver from your windows CD, modify your ini
files as shown on the FAQ page I gave previously.

I am assuming that the machine you have hosted with your ISP is yours and
that you are able to install on it.

--
Michael Collier Bsc (Hons)

Interactive ADO Browser Trial  www.adoanywhere.com/cnet
Free ADO Browser (FAB)  www.adoanywhere.com/fab
Home Page www.adoanywhere.com

--


Quote:

> Hai Mike

> I couldnt understand this

> " You need to install RDS on the remote server that hosts both your data
> and
> the Microsoft Web Server."

> If I get a copy of Win 2000 server ,will i get RDS and Can i use it as
> Microsoft Web Server.

> Regards
> Prakash

> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
> Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:26:57 GMT  
 Database Over Net
I just tried the server and it appears to be running OK. You can test the
connection and SQL with this free browser www.adoanywhere.com/fab

I am not sure where your code is failing. If you are able to connect and
query using FAB then repost your question and code - so someone with more VB
experience can help with specific code problems.

Good Luck
--
Michael Collier Bsc (Hons)

Interactive ADO Browser Trial  www.adoanywhere.com/cnet
Free ADO Browser (FAB)  www.adoanywhere.com/fab
Home Page www.adoanywhere.com

--



Quote:
> Hai

> i tried this but never worked

> Dim I As Integer
>     On Error GoTo connectionerror

>     Set cn = New ADODB.Connection

>     cn.CursorLocation = adUseClient
>     cn.Open "Provider=MS Remote;Remote Server=http://213.246.147.10
;Remote"
> _
>             & " Provider=MSDASQL;DSN=odbc_access;UID=Admin"

>     Dim strsql1 As String
>                 Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
>                 strsql1 = "SELECT * from items"
>                 rs.Open strsql1, cn

>     MsgBox rs.RecordCount
> connectionerror:
>     For I = 0 To cn.Errors.Count
>         Debug.Print cn.Errors(I).Description

>     Next I

> Error is runtimeerror 3265

> item cannot be found in the corresponding  requested name or ordinal

> Regards
> Prakash



Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:43:24 GMT  
 Database Over Net
Dear Michael

    Can i use the same windows 2000 server as

    a) Web Server - for accessing it over the net

    b)Sql Server  - for hosting the database

    c)LAN Purpose - i mean for sharing files and other resources in the
network

Regards

Prakash



Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:20:34 GMT  
 Database Over Net
In theory you can.

1) Check your web server licence for any  concurrent user limits.
2) My own test server is not connected to the LAN for security reasons but
it can be done easily.

==
It may be worth mentioning that RDS was the only available method I had for
remote connections when I installed that server last year. Other technology
is available now that you might want to look at. COM+,DCOM,.NET, SOAP   - I
would add these to the server if I had the time, I'll see if I can find
something.

--
Michael Collier Bsc (Hons)

Interactive ADO Browser Trial  www.adoanywhere.com/cnet
Free ADO Browser (FAB)  www.adoanywhere.com/fab
Home Page www.adoanywhere.com

--



Quote:
> Dear Michael

>     Can i use the same windows 2000 server as

>     a) Web Server - for accessing it over the net

>     b)Sql Server  - for hosting the database

>     c)LAN Purpose - i mean for sharing files and other resources in the
> network

> Regards

> Prakash



Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:20:15 GMT  
 Database Over Net
Dear Michael

Do we have to get a webserver license separetely after getting windows 2000
server

sorry i have many doubts

any resource available on the net

Thanx again

Prakash



Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:54:57 GMT  
 Database Over Net
If your CD only includes PWS (Personal Web Server) and you intend to develop
a serious application then you may want to purchase the full web server -
IIS .

If you have installed IIS from your CD then you are OK already.

You might get more help here http://www.rdsdeveloper.com

You may find the other technologies that I mentioned do not need a webserver
(DCOM for example).

--
Michael Collier Bsc (Hons)

Interactive ADO Browser Trial  www.adoanywhere.com/cnet
Free ADO Browser (FAB)  www.adoanywhere.com/fab
Home Page www.adoanywhere.com

--



Quote:
> Dear Michael

> Do we have to get a webserver license separetely after getting windows
2000
> server

> sorry i have many doubts

> any resource available on the net

> Thanx again

> Prakash



Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:42:47 GMT  
 Database Over Net
Dear Michael

We have around five to ten users in our LAN and the reason why i want to put
my applacation on web is to give access for my chairman.So over the net only
himself or two people will access the database over the net.
So i want to know whether windows200 server loaded with IIS abd SQL Server
2000 is sufficient.U were mentioning about Webserver license .Will this be
required for us .Please let me know

Thanx

Regards
Prakash



Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:07:31 GMT  
 Database Over Net
From what you describe, you will not need further licences - but check with
Microsoft if you are not sure. I am not really the person to ask for that.

Basically, if you have installed either PWS or IIS (one of them is defiantly
on your CD) then you have a licence for it already.

PWS has a user limit of 10 which is less than you need anyway.

IIS has no upper limit.

The only time you would need to buy a licence would be if PWS is on your CD
and you needed to upgrade to IIS for more than 10 users (and perhaps some
other features).

--
Michael Collier Bsc (Hons)

Interactive ADO Browser Trial  www.adoanywhere.com/cnet
Free ADO Browser (FAB)  www.adoanywhere.com/fab
Home Page www.adoanywhere.com

--



Quote:
> Dear Michael

> We have around five to ten users in our LAN and the reason why i want to
put
> my applacation on web is to give access for my chairman.So over the net
only
> himself or two people will access the database over the net.
> So i want to know whether windows200 server loaded with IIS abd SQL Server
> 2000 is sufficient.U were mentioning about Webserver license .Will this be
> required for us .Please let me know

> Thanx

> Regards
> Prakash



Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:32:15 GMT  
 
 [ 12 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Database On Net in VB.NET

2. The Ultimate database for .NET

3. Access Database in .NET

4. Working with databases in .NET

5. Best way to implement an access database with .Net?

6. How can I get a list of databases in .NET?

7. INSERT into access database using vb.net/ado.net..problem

8. VB.NET: Steps for Converting a Windows .NET Application to a Web .NET Application

9. ADO.NET with ASP.NET using VB.NET

10. how to use the system.net.sockets and system.net in VB.net

11. Find good book about using CR.NET with VS.NET and .NET Framework

12. VS.Net + Cr.Net and VB.Net

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software