Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install
Author Message
 Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install

I have created an application that uses VB6 and ADO to
read/write Access 2000 (Jet 4.0) databases.  On the
machine I am developing it on it works properly.

I am using another machine to test the install.  On this
machine I reformatted the HD and installed Win 98SE and
Word 2000.  I used the VB install wizard to create the
install program.  I have SP5 on my development machine.
The install on the test PC goes off without a hitch.

When I rum my program on the test machine I can execute
any parts that read from the database with no problem.
However, when I execute any routine that writes to the DB
I get the following error:  'Error# -2147467259 Operation
must be an updateable query.  Has Occurredin Microsoft Jet
Database Engine'

Again the program works fine on my development machine.  I
am guessing there is some component that is not installed
on the test machine properly, but I have no idea what it
might be.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

Jonathan

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:50:51 GMT
 Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install
Jonathan,

To find out what could be you need to trace your code to see which line
causes that error. Only after that we could try to find out the problem

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> I have created an application that uses VB6 and ADO to
> read/write Access 2000 (Jet 4.0) databases.  On the
> machine I am developing it on it works properly.

> I am using another machine to test the install.  On this
> machine I reformatted the HD and installed Win 98SE and
> Word 2000.  I used the VB install wizard to create the
> install program.  I have SP5 on my development machine.
> The install on the test PC goes off without a hitch.

> When I rum my program on the test machine I can execute
> any parts that read from the database with no problem.
> However, when I execute any routine that writes to the DB
> I get the following error:  'Error# -2147467259 Operation
> must be an updateable query.  Has Occurredin Microsoft Jet
> Database Engine'

> Again the program works fine on my development machine.  I
> am guessing there is some component that is not installed
> on the test machine properly, but I have no idea what it
> might be.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

> Jonathan

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:04:55 GMT
 Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install

It occurs on the Update command.

Here is a sample of the code.  The connection string
JRDatabaseConnect is:

JRDataBaseConnect = "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=" & JRDataBase & ";Jet OLEDB:Database
Password=jack;"

The string JRDatabase contains the filename of the DB.

Public Sub ChangeInsurance()

    Dim DB As Connection
    Dim adoRS As Recordset
    Dim ID As String
    Dim Unit As String

    Unit = frmSelectUnitOrOcc.GetUnit(ID)
    If ID = "" Or Unit = "" Then Exit Sub

    Set DB = New Connection
    DB.CursorLocation = adUseClient
    DB.Open JRDataBaseConnect

    Set adoRS = New Recordset
    adoRS.Open "select APPFIRST,APPLAST,APPMIDI from
Occupant where IDCODE='" & ID & "'", DB, adOpenStatic,
adLockOptimistic
    If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("APPFIRST")) Then
        lblFirstName.Caption = adoRS.Fields("APPFIRST")
    Else
        lblFirstName.Caption = ""
    End If
    If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("APPLAST")) Then
        lblLastName.Caption = adoRS.Fields("APPLAST")
    Else
        lblLastName.Caption = ""
    End If
    If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("APPMIDI")) Then
        lblMI.Caption = adoRS.Fields("APPMIDI")
    Else
        lblMI.Caption = ""
    End If

    adoRS.Close
    adoRS.Open "select * from UnitLease where IDCODE='" &
ID & "' and UNITNUMB='" & Unit & "'", DB, adOpenStatic,
adLockOptimistic

    If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("INSAMT")) Then
        fpintInsAmt.Value = Format$(adoRS.Fields
("INSAMT"), "#0")
    Else
        fpintInsAmt.Value = "0"
    End If
    Timer1.Interval = 250
    Timer1.Enabled = True

    If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("UNITNUMB")) Then
        lblUnitID.Caption = adoRS.Fields("UNITNUMB")
    Else
        lblUnitID.Caption = ""
    End If
    If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("UNITDESCRP")) Then
        lblDescription.Caption = adoRS.Fields("UNITDESCRP")
    Else
        lblDescription.Caption = ""
    End If
    If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("UNITRATE")) Then
        lblRentPmt.Caption = Format$(adoRS.Fields
("UNITRATE"), "#0.00")
    Else
        lblRentPmt.Caption = "0.00"
    End If
    If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("INSPAY")) Then
        lblInsurancePmt.Caption = Format$(adoRS.Fields
("INSPAY"), "#0.00")
    Else
        lblInsurancePmt.Caption = "0.00"
    End If
    If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("RENTPAY")) Then
        lblTotalPmt.Caption = Format$(adoRS.Fields
("RENTPAY"), "#0.00")
    Else
        lblTotalPmt.Caption = "0.00"
    End If

    Cancel = False
    Change = False
    Me.Show vbModal

    If Change Then
        If AskForSave Then
            Screen.MousePointer = vbHourglass
            MsgBox "Setting Field"
            adoRS.Fields("INSAMT") = Val(fpintInsAmt.Value)
            adoRS.Fields("INSPAY") = Val
(lblInsurancePmt.Caption)
            adoRS.Fields("RENTPAY") = Val
(lblTotalPmt.Caption)
            MsgBox "Updating"
            adoRS.UpdateBatch
            MsgBox "Update done"
        End If
    End If

    DB.Close
    Unload Me

End Sub

Quote:

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:48:28 GMT
 Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install
Jonathan,

Do you mean it fails on UpdateBatch? If yes, try to replacse it with Update.
Another possible thing with SQL statement. Check if you do not have any
reserved words as a field names

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> [...]

>         lblRentPmt.Caption = "0.00"
>     End If
>     If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("INSPAY")) Then
>         lblInsurancePmt.Caption = Format$(adoRS.Fields
> ("INSPAY"), "#0.00")
>     Else
>         lblInsurancePmt.Caption = "0.00"
>     End If
>     If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("RENTPAY")) Then
>         lblTotalPmt.Caption = Format$(adoRS.Fields
> ("RENTPAY"), "#0.00")
>     Else
>         lblTotalPmt.Caption = "0.00"
>     End If

>     Cancel = False
>     Change = False
>     Me.Show vbModal

>     If Change Then
>         If AskForSave Then
>             Screen.MousePointer = vbHourglass
>             MsgBox "Setting Field"
>             adoRS.Fields("INSAMT") = Val(fpintInsAmt.Value)

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 02:21:21 GMT
 Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install
Val:

Update or Update Batch it makes no difference.  This is
rather large program.  I was just showing you one
routine.  There are dozens of places where I do reports
reading data from the database.  They all work perfectly.
There are also dozens of places where I write to the
database.  They all fail with the same error.

The program works perfectly on all routines on my
development machine.

This has to be something with the way data acccess is
setup on the machine.  Do you know of any bugs in the
setup program?  Something it forgets to install or maybe
installs the wrong version?

Jonathan

Quote:

&
>> ID & "' and UNITNUMB='" & Unit & "'", DB, adOpenStatic,
>> adLockOptimistic

>>     If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("INSAMT")) Then
>>         fpintInsAmt.Value = Format$(adoRS.Fields
>> ("INSAMT"), "#0")
>>     Else
>>         fpintInsAmt.Value = "0"
>>     End If
>>     Timer1.Interval = 250
>>     Timer1.Enabled = True

>>     If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("UNITNUMB")) Then
>>         lblUnitID.Caption = adoRS.Fields("UNITNUMB")
>>     Else
>>         lblUnitID.Caption = ""
>>     End If
>>     If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("UNITDESCRP")) Then
>>         lblDescription.Caption = adoRS.Fields
("UNITDESCRP")
>>     Else
>>         lblDescription.Caption = ""
>>     End If
>>     If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("UNITRATE")) Then
>>         lblRentPmt.Caption = Format$(adoRS.Fields
>> ("UNITRATE"), "#0.00")
>>     Else
>>         lblRentPmt.Caption = "0.00"
>>     End If
>>     If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("INSPAY")) Then
>>         lblInsurancePmt.Caption = Format$(adoRS.Fields
>> ("INSPAY"), "#0.00")
>>     Else
>>         lblInsurancePmt.Caption = "0.00"
>>     End If
>>     If Not IsNull(adoRS.Fields("RENTPAY")) Then
>>         lblTotalPmt.Caption = Format$(adoRS.Fields
>> ("RENTPAY"), "#0.00")
>>     Else
>>         lblTotalPmt.Caption = "0.00"
>>     End If

>>     Cancel = False
>>     Change = False
>>     Me.Show vbModal

>>     If Change Then
>>         If AskForSave Then
>>             Screen.MousePointer = vbHourglass
>>             MsgBox "Setting Field"
>>             adoRS.Fields("INSAMT") = Val
(fpintInsAmt.Value)
>>             adoRS.Fields("INSPAY") = Val
>> (lblInsurancePmt.Caption)
>>             adoRS.Fields("RENTPAY") = Val
>> (lblTotalPmt.Caption)
>>             MsgBox "Updating"
>>             adoRS.UpdateBatch
>>             MsgBox "Update done"
>>         End If
>>     End If

>>     DB.Close
>>     Unload Me

>> End Sub

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:23:37 GMT
 Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install
Jonathan,

Could be that you have different versions of OLEDB Jet. Try to apply latest
Service Pack for Jet 4.0. See next KB about where to obtain it from

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q282010

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Val:

> Update or Update Batch it makes no difference.  This is
> rather large program.  I was just showing you one
> routine.  There are dozens of places where I do reports
> reading data from the database.  They all work perfectly.
> There are also dozens of places where I write to the
> database.  They all fail with the same error.

> The program works perfectly on all routines on my
> development machine.

> This has to be something with the way data acccess is
> setup on the machine.  Do you know of any bugs in the
> setup program?  Something it forgets to install or maybe
> installs the wrong version?

> Jonathan

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:33:52 GMT
 Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install
I looked at the version of msjet40.dll and it is the same
on both PC's.  It is version 4.00.2927.17.  I realize this
is a older version, but it is the same on both PCs.

When I follow the link you referenced it said that I
needed to load SP3 before I could load SP4 becuse of the
version of msjet40.dll that I have.  When I followed the
link to SP3 it said:

'You should only install Jet40SP3_Comp.exe when Jet 4.0 is
not already installed by your operating system, an
application, or Microsoft Access Data Components (MDAC)
2.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or earlier. Before installing
Jet40SP3_Comp.exe, you need to install MDAC 2.6 or
later.'

This makes no sense to me.  This is an update right?  So
of course I already have Jet 4.0 installed on my PC.
Should I just ingore this?

I guess I also have to install MDAC 2.6 correct?

I also forgot to mention I have Access 2000 installed on
my development PC.

Thanks for all your help.

Quote:

us;Q282010

>--
>Val Mazur
>Microsoft MVP

>> Val:

>> Update or Update Batch it makes no difference.  This is
>> rather large program.  I was just showing you one
>> routine.  There are dozens of places where I do reports
>> reading data from the database.  They all work
perfectly.
>> There are also dozens of places where I write to the
>> database.  They all fail with the same error.

>> The program works perfectly on all routines on my
>> development machine.

>> This has to be something with the way data acccess is
>> setup on the machine.  Do you know of any bugs in the
>> setup program?  Something it forgets to install or maybe
>> installs the wrong version?

>> Jonathan

adOpenStatic,
("APPFIRST")

IDCODE='"
>> &
adOpenStatic,

>> ("UNITDESCRP")

Format$(adoRS.Fields

>> (fpintInsAmt.Value)

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:32:51 GMT
 Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install

Jonathan,

If you have Access 2000 installed, then you have Jet 4.0 as well. Basically
Jet is not a part of MDAC starting MDAC 2.5 and if you have MDAC 2.6 or
newer, then you need to install Jet separately. Looks like this is not your
case, since you have Access 2000. Sounds strange, should be some difference
between PCs. Try to check if recordset was not opened as read-only (it is
possible)

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> I looked at the version of msjet40.dll and it is the same
> on both PC's.  It is version 4.00.2927.17.  I realize this
> is a older version, but it is the same on both PCs.

> When I follow the link you referenced it said that I
> needed to load SP3 before I could load SP4 becuse of the
> version of msjet40.dll that I have.  When I followed the
> link to SP3 it said:

> 'You should only install Jet40SP3_Comp.exe when Jet 4.0 is
> not already installed by your operating system, an
> application, or Microsoft Access Data Components (MDAC)
> 2.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or earlier. Before installing
> Jet40SP3_Comp.exe, you need to install MDAC 2.6 or
> later.'

> This makes no sense to me.  This is an update right?  So
> of course I already have Jet 4.0 installed on my PC.
> Should I just ingore this?

> I guess I also have to install MDAC 2.6 correct?

> I also forgot to mention I have Access 2000 installed on
> my development PC.

> Thanks for all your help.

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:41:44 GMT
 Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install
Recordset is definitely not opened read-only.  Remembe
same code works fine on the development PC.

Should I download MDAC 2.6 (BTW what exactly is this?) and
Jet 4.0 SP 3 & 4?

Do you know of any good install programs that might
overcome this.  I had similar problems a few years ago
when developing another app.  Could never get it to
install right with the VB installer.  Bought an
aftermarket one (Installshield I think) and it worked
first time.

Jonathan

Quote:

message

string

>> DB.

from
>> adOpenStatic,
>> ("APPFIRST")
("APPLAST")

>> IDCODE='"
>> adOpenStatic,

("UNITNUMB")
>> Format$(adoRS.Fields

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:55:12 GMT
 Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install
Val:

I bet if I install Access 2000 on the test PC it will
work.  Only thing is I want the program to install on a PC
that does not have Access.  I have done an install
previously at customers site and the only way I got it to
work was to install both VB and Access on the machine.  I
need them to be able to run a simple install program
themselves if they need to add it to a new PC.

Are there any updates to the MS install program that I can
download or are they in the the SP for VB?

Jonathan

Quote:

message

string

>> DB.

from
>> adOpenStatic,
>> ("APPFIRST")
("APPLAST")

>> IDCODE='"
>> adOpenStatic,

("UNITNUMB")
>> Format$(adoRS.Fields

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:59:51 GMT
 Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install
check:

Properties data base is not read only.
Attributes user in data base.

Victor, from Argentina.

Quote:
> I have created an application that uses VB6 and ADO to
> read/write Access 2000 (Jet 4.0) databases.  On the
> machine I am developing it on it works properly.

> I am using another machine to test the install.  On this
> machine I reformatted the HD and installed Win 98SE and
> Word 2000.  I used the VB install wizard to create the
> install program.  I have SP5 on my development machine.
> The install on the test PC goes off without a hitch.

> When I rum my program on the test machine I can execute
> any parts that read from the database with no problem.
> However, when I execute any routine that writes to the DB
> I get the following error:  'Error# -2147467259 Operation
> must be an updateable query.  Has Occurredin Microsoft Jet
> Database Engine'

> Again the program works fine on my development machine.  I
> am guessing there is some component that is not installed
> on the test machine properly, but I have no idea what it
> might be.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

> Jonathan

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 05:35:20 GMT
 Error on opening Access 2000 DB on fresh install

Hi,

Looks like some DLL files are missing or Jet is not installed correctly on
that target PC. It is possible that your installation does not include all
required files. Also, probaly Jet will not be included into your
installation. You would need to run Jet SP3 and 4 separately to do that.

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Val:

> I bet if I install Access 2000 on the test PC it will
> work.  Only thing is I want the program to install on a PC
> that does not have Access.  I have done an install
> previously at customers site and the only way I got it to
> work was to install both VB and Access on the machine.  I
> need them to be able to run a simple install program
> themselves if they need to add it to a new PC.

> Are there any updates to the MS install program that I can
> download or are they in the the SP for VB?

> Jonathan

read more »

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 20:40:54 GMT

1. Convert Access 97 db to Access 2000 db in VB6

2. Access 2000 Database Error - error opening file

3. Opening Access97 DB in Access 2000

4. Opening Access (2000) DB with VB 6

5. problems opening access 2000 db using vb5

6. opening access 97 db after convert/importing to 2000

7. Opening Password protected Access 2000 DB

8. error messages reported by OLE DB /ADO with Access 2000 database at an internet server

9. Can set a ref to 1 open db but not another open db - error 3045

10. Error opening file (Access 2000)

11. ISAM error exe trying to open access 2000 database

12. Error opening ADO recordset hitting Access 2000