CursorType - Fail (Second request) Please help
Author Message
 CursorType - Fail (Second request) Please help

I posted this question before however I did not get any response.
So I'm giving it another try!

I am running ADO / ODBC to a Progress DB.

   prod_time.CursorType = adOpenKeyset    <=========== Works
   prod_time.CursorType = adOpenStatic      <=========== Fails

   prod_time.LockType = adLockOptimistic
   prod_time.Open sql_cmd, conn_prod_time, , , adCmdText

   If Not prod_time.EOF Then
      prod_time.MoveLast

      prod_time!stop_time = entry_time
      prod_time!time_out = time_in_out
      prod_time!date_shift = date_shift
      prod_time.Update
<===========
Error Here

   End If

   prod_time.Close

The error I get is: "failed because row could not be found at update".
In the de{*filter*}, I have the record, the fields are set, Then at commit
it
fails.
Why???
The fields that are being updated are not indexed in any way on the
server.
I use adOpenStatic in most cases.

Gary...

Gary Kahrau
VP Technology - Stellex Monitor Aerospace

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:14:06 GMT
 CursorType - Fail (Second request) Please help
Hi
adOpenStatic is not a updateable cursor.Static cursor recordsets just holds static copy of records which are useful for generating reports or navigation purpose.
adopenkeyset is the best option for updates.

Best of luck
Harinatha Reddy Gorla
        Software Engineer
Smart Software Technologies,
Hyderabad, India

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:19:56 GMT
 CursorType - Fail (Second request) Please help
I think you are mistaken about StaticCursors. This is MSDN static cursor
documentation:

Static Cursors

The static cursor always displays the result set as it was when the cursor
was first opened. Depending on implementation, static cursors are either
read-only or read/write and provide forward and backward scrolling. The
static cursor does not usually detect changes made to the membership, order,
or values of the result set after the cursor is opened. Static cursors may
detect their own updates, deletes, and inserts, although they are not
required to do so.

- Jure

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:05:08 GMT
 CursorType - Fail (Second request) Please help
You are terribly mistaken.

Static Cursors are updateable.

Cheers,

Gregory A Jackson MCSD, MCT
Sr. Software Engineer
800.com

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:17:36 GMT
 CursorType - Fail (Second request) Please help
Hmmm...

try:

CursorLocation = adUseClient
CursorType = adOpenStatic
LockType = adLockBatchOptimistic

IF that does not work, it could be that your provider does not support
Clientside Cursors or something. (I'm not a progress guy)

Good luck

Gregory A Jackson MCSD,

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:21:31 GMT
 CursorType - Fail (Second request) Please help
I played around with different combinations.
using CursorLocation = adUseClient appears to fix the problem!

I'm not sure why yet, but I'm learning.

Thanks,
Gary,,,

Quote:

>Hmmm...

>try:

>CursorLocation = adUseClient
>CursorType = adOpenStatic
>LockType = adLockBatchOptimistic

>IF that does not work, it could be that your provider does not support
>Clientside Cursors or something. (I'm not a progress guy)

>Good luck

>Gregory A Jackson MCSD,

Gary Kahrau
VP Technology - Stellex Monitor Aerospace

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 01:27:22 GMT
 CursorType - Fail (Second request) Please help
I'm not sure either as I have been in a strict Microsoft environment for the
past 6 years. I have no exposure to NON SQL Server Databases.

My "Guess" is that your provider ONLY supports Clientside Cursors.

Cheers,

Gregory A Jackson MCSD, MCT
Sr. Software Engineer
800.com

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 03:35:05 GMT

1. Failed to load control - Second Request

2. PRB: CursorType Returns adOpenStatic When You Request adOpenDynamic from a Server-Side Recordset (Q306385)

3. PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP,

4. DataReport Problem, Second Help Request

5. DataReport Problem - Second Request for Help!

6. Second : Save request.form results, help!

7. Second : Save request.form results, help!

8. CursorType - Update fail why??

9. Help with NT Registry - Second Request

10. Second Request - Sound Card Sampeling

11. Error requesting user info the second time?