Newsgroup Etiquette
Author Message
 Newsgroup Etiquette

I have noticed a very large number of posters do not acknowledge
replies/solutions by others, which I feel is rank bad manners.
They should remember that they chose to post their problems on NGs, nobody
forced them to do so.
My request to all is to acknowldge replies, never mind whether it helped fix
the problem at hand. For muliple replies, one reply should suffice.

Sam

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:40:38 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette

Quote:
> I have noticed a very large number of posters do not acknowledge
> replies/solutions by others, which I feel is rank bad manners.
> They should remember that they chose to post their problems on NGs, nobody
> forced them to do so.
> My request to all is to acknowldge replies, never mind whether it helped
fix
> the problem at hand. For muliple replies, one reply should suffice.

My opinion is that this would be nothing but an additional waste of time,
bandwidth, and (for those who pay connect-time charges) money.  Consider the
number of questions that get asked just in the VB NGs.  Then consider if
EVERY one of those that got a reply was followed up with a Thank-You.
There'd be hundreds more additional posts with nothing "meaningful" at all.

I'd MUCH more appreciate users adhering to good netiquette practices such as
proper and meaningful subjects, not multiposting, providing enough
information in their post to be able to provide a good answer, etc. than
getting "thanked" for my reply.  I take gratitude and acknowledgment to be
implied.  Besides, many posters write something like "Thanks in advance" in
their original post.  That's enough for me.

Mike

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:23:07 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette

Quote:

> I have noticed a very large number of posters do not
> acknowledge replies/solutions by others, which I feel is
> rank bad manners. They should remember that they chose to
> post their problems on NGs, nobody forced them to do so.
> My request to all is to acknowldge replies, never mind
> whether it helped fix the problem at hand. For muliple
> replies, one reply should suffice.

> Sam

I'd rather see more people stop top-posting, multiposting, and
excessively cross-posting. Seeing hundreds of messages that quote the
previous 6-page message in its entirety just to say 'thanks' is not
something I'd look forward to.
--
Kevin
My kids seem to always be around, remove them to reply

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:22:14 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette

Quote:
> I have noticed a very large number of posters do not acknowledge
> replies/solutions by others, which I feel is rank bad manners.

Nah. If we suggest a couple of solutions because we're not quite sure what
the poster's problem really is, then it would be nice to know what the
successful resolution was. However, when we pinpoint the problem and give
the answer, I feel confident that everything worked fine and have no need
for a follow-up.

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:49:29 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette

Quote:
> I have noticed a very large number of posters do not acknowledge
> replies/solutions by others, which I feel is rank bad manners.
> They should remember that they chose to post their problems on NGs, nobody
> forced them to do so.
> My request to all is to acknowldge replies, never mind whether it helped
fix
> the problem at hand. For muliple replies, one reply should suffice.

> Sam

I always do. Some of these might be because the messages are lost in transit
between news servers.

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:53:05 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette
I (like some in these newsgroups) like to help with solutions.

Personally I would welcome replies that say 'Thank-you, I got it working
with . . . ." - It's nice to know that you've actually helped instead of
just replying and then getting no feedback.

What is your source of your issue with replies of this type?, Perhaps you
have elected to download the message bodies to your newsgroup client instead
of just the headers and you object to the extra (minimal) bandwidth?

By the way - I did a quick search for your name 'Mike D' in the newsgroup
posts for VBScript or JavaScript  - you don't appear to have posted anything
(let along a soltution to an issue) in the last few weeks (at least the
10,500+ message headres I have in my cache) unless you've changed your
'From' name.

Chris Barber.

Quote:
> I have noticed a very large number of posters do not acknowledge
> replies/solutions by others, which I feel is rank bad manners.
> They should remember that they chose to post their problems on NGs, nobody
> forced them to do so.
> My request to all is to acknowldge replies, never mind whether it helped
fix
> the problem at hand. For muliple replies, one reply should suffice.

My opinion is that this would be nothing but an additional waste of time,
bandwidth, and (for those who pay connect-time charges) money.  Consider the
number of questions that get asked just in the VB NGs.  Then consider if
EVERY one of those that got a reply was followed up with a Thank-You.
There'd be hundreds more additional posts with nothing "meaningful" at all.

I'd MUCH more appreciate users adhering to good netiquette practices such as
proper and meaningful subjects, not multiposting, providing enough
information in their post to be able to provide a good answer, etc. than
getting "thanked" for my reply.  I take gratitude and acknowledgment to be
implied.  Besides, many posters write something like "Thanks in advance" in
their original post.  That's enough for me.

Mike

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:58:38 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette

Quote:
>It's nice to know that you've actually helped instead of
> just replying and then getting no feedback.

I don't think anybody would hanker after "Thank you" notes, but Chris has a
very valid point..
The thank you notes need not contain the previous posts in the thread.

Sam

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:21:42 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette
Huh?  For one, it's 'MikeD'....no space.  Secondly, I don't read the
VBScript or JavaScript groups. It just happens that the post I replied to
was cross-posted to those groups and I didn't remove them when I replied.
My "source" is that I (and I doubt very much I'm alone with this opinion)
don't care to read hundreds of messages that are nothing more than a thank
you.

Mike

Quote:
> I (like some in these newsgroups) like to help with solutions.

> Personally I would welcome replies that say 'Thank-you, I got it working
> with . . . ." - It's nice to know that you've actually helped instead of
> just replying and then getting no feedback.

> What is your source of your issue with replies of this type?, Perhaps you
> have elected to download the message bodies to your newsgroup client
instead
> of just the headers and you object to the extra (minimal) bandwidth?

> By the way - I did a quick search for your name 'Mike D' in the newsgroup
> posts for VBScript or JavaScript  - you don't appear to have posted
anything
> (let along a soltution to an issue) in the last few weeks (at least the
> 10,500+ message headres I have in my cache) unless you've changed your
> 'From' name.

> Chris Barber.

> > I have noticed a very large number of posters do not acknowledge
> > replies/solutions by others, which I feel is rank bad manners.
> > They should remember that they chose to post their problems on NGs,
nobody
> > forced them to do so.
> > My request to all is to acknowldge replies, never mind whether it helped
> fix
> > the problem at hand. For muliple replies, one reply should suffice.

> My opinion is that this would be nothing but an additional waste of time,
> bandwidth, and (for those who pay connect-time charges) money.  Consider
the
> number of questions that get asked just in the VB NGs.  Then consider if
> EVERY one of those that got a reply was followed up with a Thank-You.
> There'd be hundreds more additional posts with nothing "meaningful" at
all.

> I'd MUCH more appreciate users adhering to good netiquette practices such
as
> proper and meaningful subjects, not multiposting, providing enough
> information in their post to be able to provide a good answer, etc. than
> getting "thanked" for my reply.  I take gratitude and acknowledgment to be
> implied.  Besides, many posters write something like "Thanks in advance"
in
> their original post.  That's enough for me.

> Mike

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:30:49 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette
For me, "Thank you" tells me that the response worked...

Quote:
> Huh?  For one, it's 'MikeD'....no space.  Secondly, I don't read the
> VBScript or JavaScript groups. It just happens that the post I replied to
> was cross-posted to those groups and I didn't remove them when I replied.
> My "source" is that I (and I doubt very much I'm alone with this opinion)
> don't care to read hundreds of messages that are nothing more than a thank
> you.

> Mike

> > I (like some in these newsgroups) like to help with solutions.

> > Personally I would welcome replies that say 'Thank-you, I got it working
> > with . . . ." - It's nice to know that you've actually helped instead of
> > just replying and then getting no feedback.

> > What is your source of your issue with replies of this type?, Perhaps
you
> > have elected to download the message bodies to your newsgroup client
> instead
> > of just the headers and you object to the extra (minimal) bandwidth?

> > By the way - I did a quick search for your name 'Mike D' in the
newsgroup
> > posts for VBScript or JavaScript  - you don't appear to have posted
> anything
> > (let along a soltution to an issue) in the last few weeks (at least the
> > 10,500+ message headres I have in my cache) unless you've changed your
> > 'From' name.

> > Chris Barber.

> > > I have noticed a very large number of posters do not acknowledge
> > > replies/solutions by others, which I feel is rank bad manners.
> > > They should remember that they chose to post their problems on NGs,
> nobody
> > > forced them to do so.
> > > My request to all is to acknowldge replies, never mind whether it
helped
> > fix
> > > the problem at hand. For muliple replies, one reply should suffice.

> > My opinion is that this would be nothing but an additional waste of
time,
> > bandwidth, and (for those who pay connect-time charges) money.  Consider
> the
> > number of questions that get asked just in the VB NGs.  Then consider if
> > EVERY one of those that got a reply was followed up with a Thank-You.
> > There'd be hundreds more additional posts with nothing "meaningful" at
> all.

> > I'd MUCH more appreciate users adhering to good netiquette practices
such
> as
> > proper and meaningful subjects, not multiposting, providing enough
> > information in their post to be able to provide a good answer, etc. than
> > getting "thanked" for my reply.  I take gratitude and acknowledgment to
be
> > implied.  Besides, many posters write something like "Thanks in advance"
> in
> > their original post.  That's enough for me.

> > Mike

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:36:51 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette

released on Tue, 7 May 2002 17:10:38 +0530 bearing the
following fruit:

Quote:
>I have noticed a very large number of posters do not acknowledge
>replies/solutions by others, which I feel is rank bad manners.
>They should remember that they chose to post their problems on NGs, nobody
>forced them to do so.
>My request to all is to acknowldge replies, never mind whether it helped fix
>the problem at hand. For muliple replies, one reply should suffice.

>Sam

No. It simply costs more money to download what is simply
useless data. Also it will cause many more hits when
searching the archives that do not help the person seeking
an answer.

A follow up post is nice when the poster wishes to share the
solution that was eventually used, particularly if it
differs from the answers given.

If you want to say thank you then do it via email.
If people have posted with a false email addresses then too
bad.

As someone else said, many people put there thanks in the
question. This is good enough for me too.

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:41:06 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette
It it didn't work, then most likely there would be a follow-up stating it
didn't work as the issue would still be outstanding.  I still see no need to
post a follow-up stating nothing more than it DID work as that can be safely
assumed by lack of a follow-up.  If you happen to read a lot of different
newsgroups and read most of the messages in each (and maybe you do),
wouldn't you prefer to keep the "clutter" to a minimum?

And with that, I'm done posting to this thread because this is getting to be
quite cluttersome.  <g>

Mike

Quote:
> For me, "Thank you" tells me that the response worked...

> > Huh?  For one, it's 'MikeD'....no space.  Secondly, I don't read the
> > VBScript or JavaScript groups. It just happens that the post I replied
> > was cross-posted to those groups and I didn't remove them when I
replied.
> > My "source" is that I (and I doubt very much I'm alone with this
opinion)
> > don't care to read hundreds of messages that are nothing more than a
thank
> > you.

> > Mike

> > > I (like some in these newsgroups) like to help with solutions.

> > > Personally I would welcome replies that say 'Thank-you, I got it
working
> > > with . . . ." - It's nice to know that you've actually helped instead
of
> > > just replying and then getting no feedback.

> > > What is your source of your issue with replies of this type?, Perhaps
> you
> > > have elected to download the message bodies to your newsgroup client
> > instead
> > > of just the headers and you object to the extra (minimal) bandwidth?

> > > By the way - I did a quick search for your name 'Mike D' in the
> newsgroup
> > > posts for VBScript or JavaScript  - you don't appear to have posted
> > anything
> > > (let along a soltution to an issue) in the last few weeks (at least
the
> > > 10,500+ message headres I have in my cache) unless you've changed your
> > > 'From' name.

> > > Chris Barber.

> > nobody
> helped
> > > fix

> > > My opinion is that this would be nothing but an additional waste of
> time,
> > > bandwidth, and (for those who pay connect-time charges) money.
Consider
> > the
> > > number of questions that get asked just in the VB NGs.  Then consider
if
> > > EVERY one of those that got a reply was followed up with a Thank-You.
> > > There'd be hundreds more additional posts with nothing "meaningful" at
> > all.

> > > I'd MUCH more appreciate users adhering to good netiquette practices
> such
> > as
> > > proper and meaningful subjects, not multiposting, providing enough
> > > information in their post to be able to provide a good answer, etc.
than
> > > getting "thanked" for my reply.  I take gratitude and acknowledgment
> be
> > > implied.  Besides, many posters write something like "Thanks in
advance"
> > in
> > > their original post.  That's enough for me.

> > > Mike

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:03:19 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette

Quote:

> released on Tue, 7 May 2002 17:10:38 +0530 bearing the
> following fruit:

> >I have noticed a very large number of posters do not acknowledge
> >replies/solutions by others, which I feel is rank bad manners.
> >They should remember that they chose to post their problems on NGs,
nobody
> >forced them to do so.
> >My request to all is to acknowldge replies, never mind whether it helped
fix
> >the problem at hand. For muliple replies, one reply should suffice.

> >Sam

> No. It simply costs more money to download what is simply
> useless data. Also it will cause many more hits when
> searching the archives that do not help the person seeking
> an answer.

> A follow up post is nice when the poster wishes to share the
> solution that was eventually used, particularly if it
> differs from the answers given.

> If you want to say thank you then do it via email.
> If people have posted with a false email addresses then too
> bad.

> As someone else said, many people put there thanks in the
> question. This is good enough for me too.

Yes, I think that is the right way to handle 'thank you' messages. The only
problem with this is that a lot of people do not like getting emails from
people that they do not know. I will try to remember that in future.

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:59:27 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette
Looks like it's 5 against 2 so far - although,  Kevin didn't seem that
bothered by the 'Thanks' bit - more the forgetting to cross-post etc.

Mike, If you're not interested in a thread then why are you bothered if
someone replies to it irrespective of the content.
As far as I can see, the number of thank-you's in any one newsgroup is
pretty minimal (we're looking at max 60 posts a day on VBScript) compared to
actual new content. Even if you're suscribed to 10 newsgroups the number of
replies of thus type should still be pretty low.

Just my opinion and given that it seems to have degenerated into a minor
slanging match that'll be my last post in this thread.

Dang! - Mike beat me to the closing finale by 20 seconds [big grin].

Chris Barber.

Hmm., I'd better delete the remainder of the thread content that Mike
inlcuded in his reply before I get flamed again [grin]

Huh?  For one, it's 'MikeD'....no space.  Secondly, I don't read the
VBScript or JavaScript groups. It just happens that the post I replied to
was cross-posted to those groups and I didn't remove them when I replied.
My "source" is that I (and I doubt very much I'm alone with this opinion)
don't care to read hundreds of messages that are nothing more than a thank
you.

Mike

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:05:22 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette
Personally I like a thanks it makes you feel that maybe all this
study is actually amounting to something

How many of us actually get thanked at work for working something out
I know I don't ever so I feel better for it and I know it was resolved and
in the case of multiple opinions and methods what was actually used.

But really it isn't that important to mark someone as bad mannered for not
relying then I think most of us would be at fault!

Regards

VOrtex

Quote:
> I have noticed a very large number of posters do not acknowledge
> replies/solutions by others, which I feel is rank bad manners.
> They should remember that they chose to post their problems on NGs, nobody
> forced them to do so.
> My request to all is to acknowldge replies, never mind whether it helped
fix
> the problem at hand. For muliple replies, one reply should suffice.

> Sam

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:44:59 GMT
 Newsgroup Etiquette

were released on Tue, 7 May 2002 15:59:27 +0100 bearing the
following fruit:

Quote:

>> released on Tue, 7 May 2002 17:10:38 +0530 bearing the
>> following fruit:

>> >I have noticed a very large number of posters do not acknowledge
>> >replies/solutions by others, which I feel is rank bad manners.
>> >They should remember that they chose to post their problems on NGs,
>nobody
>> >forced them to do so.
>> >My request to all is to acknowldge replies, never mind whether it helped
>fix
>> >the problem at hand. For muliple replies, one reply should suffice.

>> >Sam

>> No. It simply costs more money to download what is simply
>> useless data. Also it will cause many more hits when
>> searching the archives that do not help the person seeking
>> an answer.

>> A follow up post is nice when the poster wishes to share the
>> solution that was eventually used, particularly if it
>> differs from the answers given.

>> If you want to say thank you then do it via email.
>> If people have posted with a false email addresses then too
>> bad.

>> As someone else said, many people put there thanks in the
>> question. This is good enough for me too.

>Yes, I think that is the right way to handle 'thank you' messages. The only
>problem with this is that a lot of people do not like getting emails from
>people that they do not know. I will try to remember that in future.

You have a valid point that some don't like to recieve
e-mails from strangers. However, you don't have to use a
valid email address.

I don't think anyone minds a quick thanks you, it's when
poeple start emailing you every little vb problem they have
to you cos you helped them in the NG once, that does gets
annoying.

One thing I would say though, if you email a thank you then
include details of what you are thanking the person for
(you'd be suprised how few people do)

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 00:25:48 GMT

 [ 28 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Newsgroup Etiquette

2. Newsgroup Etiquette

3. Code Etiquette Question: One Exit

4. Error Handling Etiquette

5. Formatting VB code (etiquette)

6. Usenet Etiquette -- Please Read

7. Greeting Etiquette to greet callers? (Please help me with this dumb question.)

8. Access Newsgroup Flash: 12/3/2002

9. Access Newsgroup Posting Tips

10. 11/15/2002 Access Newsgroup Flash

11. Hints And Tips For New Posters In The Access Newsgroups

12. Attn MSDN: We need an ADP newsgroup (ADO, too)