ODBC driver to Paradox 7,8,9??
Author Message
 ODBC driver to Paradox 7,8,9??

Hi,

I am developing an application to integrate two companies. I am using Visual
Basic 6.0 SP3 for development.
The software that I want to integrate was developed in delphi 3.0, using a
database Paradox 7.0 (it is oh that my problem begins). To use the VB6 with
ADO, I just get to open Paradox of the versions 3.x, 4.x or 5.x and to use
ADO/RDO will need a driver ODBC for Paradox 7.x or superior.
I was seeking for a driver Paradox to solve my problem, but up to now I
didn't find anything.
Somebody knows where I can get the driver ODBC for Padadox 7.x or superir
(PS: did I already seek in Corel and in Borland)? Or it will be that have
another alternative (type an update for him Microsoft Jet that is capable to
open Paradox 7.x)?

Thank you,

Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC driver to Paradox 7,8,9??
On Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:44:48 -0300, "Rubens A. Mascari"

Quote:

>Hi,

>I am developing an application to integrate two companies. I am using Visual
>Basic 6.0 SP3 for development.
>The software that I want to integrate was developed in Delphi 3.0, using a
>database Paradox 7.0 (it is oh that my problem begins). To use the VB6 with
>ADO, I just get to open Paradox of the versions 3.x, 4.x or 5.x and to use
>ADO/RDO will need a driver ODBC for Paradox 7.x or superior.
>I was seeking for a driver Paradox to solve my problem, but up to now I
>didn't find anything.
>Somebody knows where I can get the driver ODBC for Padadox 7.x or superir
>(PS: did I already seek in Corel and in Borland)? Or it will be that have
>another alternative (type an update for him Microsoft Jet that is capable to
>open Paradox 7.x)?

>Thank you,

I can't help you with the ODBC driver, but I would recommend that you
put the data in a SQL Database on a server instead of leaving the data
in Paradox format. Especially when you are going to be developing new
code against this data.

Even the smallest of companies these days can afford a Small Business
version of a Database (like SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase, etc) - and if
more than one person is going to be using the data, that is where it
should be. In the early days of Dbase, Foxpro, and Paradox - when
database engines were expensive and had prohibitive hardware
requirements, it made sense to use flat file database engines. Not
now. The transaction logging ability alone is worth the price of a
real database (just ask someone who has a corrupted DBF or MDB who has
to lose days of data back to their last backup).

Anyway, my 2,

Dan Bush
Battle Ground.wa.us
Please No Spam, to email, change .com to .net

Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC driver to Paradox 7,8,9??
Hi Dan,   Sorry but I have to dis-agree with you.   We are working on a
contract for a small company.   They REQUIRE the database stays in Paradox
period.    They have the money, but they use Paradox for other things and
one area is direct access to the actual system databases.  (don't say it -
we know, we know but we are doing what the client wants and they are the
signator of the check.   Yes we have repeatedly made recommendations but
there is one V.P. who will not even stray from the path.)

Anyhow,   I have the same problem as the other gentleman.   We are
temporarily using an Intersolv odbc driver.  What we cannot figure out is
how to get the Microsoft drivers to work.  They just give abstract errors no
matter what machine we try this on.    We have no problems using the
intersolv driver at all.

Thus, unless we figure out how or what is up with Microsofts odbc Paradox
driver, we also need to find out where or how to get Paradox specific odbc
drivers without having to pay big bucks.

--
Sincerely,

Todd B - Agendum Software

AgSplitform now available!  Multi-screen/panel applications!  Supports
Multi-monitors also!

Quote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:44:48 -0300, "Rubens A. Mascari"

> >Hi,

> >I am developing an application to integrate two companies. I am using
Visual
> >Basic 6.0 SP3 for development.
> >The software that I want to integrate was developed in Delphi 3.0, using
> >database Paradox 7.0 (it is oh that my problem begins). To use the VB6
with
> >ADO, I just get to open Paradox of the versions 3.x, 4.x or 5.x and to
use
> >ADO/RDO will need a driver ODBC for Paradox 7.x or superior.
> >I was seeking for a driver Paradox to solve my problem, but up to now I
> >didn't find anything.
> >Somebody knows where I can get the driver ODBC for Padadox 7.x or superir
> >(PS: did I already seek in Corel and in Borland)? Or it will be that have
> >another alternative (type an update for him Microsoft Jet that is capable
> >open Paradox 7.x)?

> >Thank you,

> I can't help you with the ODBC driver, but I would recommend that you
> put the data in a SQL Database on a server instead of leaving the data
> in Paradox format. Especially when you are going to be developing new
> code against this data.

> Even the smallest of companies these days can afford a Small Business
> version of a Database (like SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase, etc) - and if
> more than one person is going to be using the data, that is where it
> should be. In the early days of Dbase, Foxpro, and Paradox - when
> database engines were expensive and had prohibitive hardware
> requirements, it made sense to use flat file database engines. Not
> now. The transaction logging ability alone is worth the price of a
> real database (just ask someone who has a corrupted DBF or MDB who has
> to lose days of data back to their last backup).

> Anyway, my 2,

> Dan Bush
> Battle Ground.wa.us
> Please No Spam, to email, change .com to .net

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC driver to Paradox 7,8,9??
Microsoft recommends that you use the BDE (Borland Database Engine).
You can get a copy with Delphi Professional, which isn't too expensive.

Mike

Quote:

>Thus, unless we figure out how or what is up with Microsofts odbc Paradox
>driver, we also need to find out where or how to get Paradox specific odbc
>drivers without having to pay big bucks.

Thu, 28 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC driver to Paradox 7,8,9??
Hi Mike,

I read an article in the microsoft that said exactly that that you this
speaking: Microsoft recommends to use DBE (Borland Database Engine).

But oh I have a question; is that really possible? is VB prepared to work
with DBE? If yes, as to do that?

Rubens

Quote:
>Microsoft recommends that you use the BDE (Borland Database Engine).
>You can get a copy with Delphi Professional, which isn't too expensive.

Fri, 29 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC driver to Paradox 7,8,9??
I found it in Microsoft Site:

By default, the Microsoft Jet 4.0 database engine supports importing,
exporting to, and linking to Paradox 3.x, 4.x, and 5.x and dBASE III, III+,
IV, and 5 tables (if you link to these tables, the data in them will be
read-only). Microsoft Jet 4.0 does not support Paradox 7 and 8 or dBASE 7
tables. For read/write access from Microsoft Jet to all versions of Paradox
or dBASE tables, you must also have the Borland Database Engine (BDE) 4.x or
later installed on your computer. If you don't have BDE 4.x or later
installed, you can obtain it by installing dBASE 7, Paradox 7 and 8, or
Delphi. If you own an older version of the BDE that doesn't support the
Paradox 8 or dBASE 7 file formats, you can upgrade your engine from the
Inprise (formerly named Borland) Web site at www.inprise.com

--
[]s,

Artesio

Quote:
> Hi,

> I am developing an application to integrate two companies. I am using
Visual
> Basic 6.0 SP3 for development.
> The software that I want to integrate was developed in Delphi 3.0, using a
> database Paradox 7.0 (it is oh that my problem begins). To use the VB6
with
> ADO, I just get to open Paradox of the versions 3.x, 4.x or 5.x and to use
> ADO/RDO will need a driver ODBC for Paradox 7.x or superior.
> I was seeking for a driver Paradox to solve my problem, but up to now I
> didn't find anything.
> Somebody knows where I can get the driver ODBC for Padadox 7.x or superir
> (PS: did I already seek in Corel and in Borland)? Or it will be that have
> another alternative (type an update for him Microsoft Jet that is capable
> open Paradox 7.x)?

> Thank you,

Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. odbc driver for paradox 7.0

2. ODBC driver for paradox 4.5 database???

3. Info on VB Database ODBC Drivers for Paradox

4. Info on VB Database ODBC Drivers for Paradox

5. ODBC driver to Paradox 7,8,9??

6. Paradox ODBC driver for the Macintosh

7. Oracle ODBC driver / Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle

8. [ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed

9. [ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

10. * Microsoft Text Driver as an ODBC driver

11. ODBC-connection to BASIS ODBC Driver

12. [ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] ODBC--call failed.