JET writes junk to DB
Author Message
 JET writes junk to DB

Hi,

since a few days JET is writing junk into my database. I have not the
slightest idea, what is wrong, because before, everything worked quite well.

For example: There are NULLs in a auto-increment field... what never should
occur. Textfields are scrambled. Integer-fields contain numbers, which I
never wrote into them...

It is not possible to delete the corrupted lines, so, to repair a table, I
have to copy any record, which still contains valuable data. Of course the
situation is like horror, and I hope someone can give me some tips, what
might be wrong.

I'm using JET 3.51 on NT-server and Win95/98 clients.

Johannes Hofmann

Wed, 16 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 JET writes junk to DB
Have you tried exporting the table and data to a new MDB file.
Theoretically that should only copy correct data.

Alternatively, create a new MDB with each table and do a UPDATE query, again
theoretically that should only copy across good data.

Sorry thats the best I can come up with.

Adrian

Quote:
>Hi,

>since a few days JET is writing junk into my database. I have not the
>slightest idea, what is wrong, because before, everything worked quite
well.

>For example: There are NULLs in a auto-increment field... what never should
>occur. Textfields are scrambled. Integer-fields contain numbers, which I
>never wrote into them...

>It is not possible to delete the corrupted lines, so, to repair a table, I
>have to copy any record, which still contains valuable data. Of course the
>situation is like horror, and I hope someone can give me some tips, what
>might be wrong.

>I'm using JET 3.51 on NT-server and Win95/98 clients.

>Johannes Hofmann

Wed, 16 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 JET writes junk to DB
Hi Adrian,

Quote:
>Have you tried exporting the table and data to a new MDB file.
>Theoretically that should only copy correct data.

>Alternatively, create a new MDB with each table and do a UPDATE query,
again
>theoretically that should only copy across good data.

>Sorry thats the best I can come up with.

yes, that works... but unfortunately, the corrupted data is lost.. and the
corruptions happen every now and then.

There must be a serious bug in JET 3.5x. I have found some interesting
messages about this topic in the net:

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,25823,00.html

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,25778,00.html?st.ne.ni.rel

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,25671,00.html?st.ne.ni.rel

http://www.idg.net/idg_frames/english/content.cgi?vc=docid_9-68604.html

http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtoday/article/0,1510,7969,00.html

Wed, 16 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 JET writes junk to DB

Quote:
>Alternatively, create a new MDB with each table and do a UPDATE query,
again
>theoretically that should only copy across good data.

That's worth an attempt, I didn't try to reconstruct the MDB from scratch...

Thanks

Johannes Hofmann
<Lucky you??! If you happen to find any mistakes in this message, I
generously permit, that you may keep them.>

Fri, 18 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Jet DB Performance (Jet 3.51 vs. Jet 4.0)

2. please help - unable to write to db after converting jet to ODBC

3. Create Jet 3.5x DB with OLE DB Provider 4.0

4. Newbie: Open write-protected MS-jet (.mdb) database?

5. Force JET to write to disk - HOW ??

6. Force JET to write to disk - HOW ??

7. Newbie: Open write-protected MS-Jet (.mdb) database?

8. Reading/Writing .DBF files without the JET Engine

9. Need to write MS Jet DE records

10. JET corruption -delayed write back

11. Jet Database Corruption/High .LDB Write Locks

12. Anyway to write to MSaccess with out firing MS Jet 4.0