ADO 1.5-2.0 and VB 5.0-6.0 - what happened?
Author Message
 ADO 1.5-2.0 and VB 5.0-6.0 - what happened?

I currently develop, along with my co-workers, in VB 5.0 using ADO 1.5.
I "upgraded" my computer with VB 6.0 (and kept the existing VB 5.0 install)
which installs ADO 2.0.

NOW, there are no more references for ADO 1.5, which is our current standard
for data access in our 32 bit prototypes.  I open the project in VB6.0, and
now, no one can use the prototype I developed because they wisely did NOT
install VB 6.0 and ADO 2.0.  Furthuremore, if I build the project, no one
else can run it (obviously with no ado2).

So, why does microsoft allow you to keep vb5.0 if it changes the underlying
ADO, and NOT giving you the option to stick with ADO 1.5 (it is completely
removed from the References menu).  I know the dll is on my system!  Why
didn't they just force you to upgrade vb5 to 6?  The setup stuff gets
whacked as well as building the apps.

How can I unbreak this?

thanks...
George Hardy
Landmark Graphics Corp.

Fri, 18 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO 1.5-2.0 and VB 5.0-6.0 - what happened?
Microsoft got you again! You state the following:
Quote:
> I know the dll is on my system!

Not true, unless they back it up somewhere on installation of ADO 2.0. Turns
out that ADO 2 is implemented by the file MSADO15.DLL (but a number of other
files get upgraded too, so you can't just restore this one). Guess this is
MS's way of forcing the upgrade to ADO2...

You cannot use VB6 without ADO 2, but I believe you can use VB5 with ADO2.
You can upgrade your machines to ADO2 by using the standalone
redistributable installation procedure named MDAC_TYP.EXE.

If you don't want to go to ADO2 (why not??), then your only other recourse
is to uninstall VB6 and ADO2.
Good luck!
Stan

Quote:

>I currently develop, along with my co-workers, in VB 5.0 using ADO 1.5.
>I "upgraded" my computer with VB 6.0 (and kept the existing VB 5.0 install)
>which installs ADO 2.0.

>NOW, there are no more references for ADO 1.5, which is our current
standard
>for data access in our 32 bit prototypes.  I open the project in VB6.0, and
>now, no one can use the prototype I developed because they wisely did NOT
>install VB 6.0 and ADO 2.0.  Furthuremore, if I build the project, no one
>else can run it (obviously with no ado2).

>So, why does microsoft allow you to keep vb5.0 if it changes the underlying
>ADO, and NOT giving you the option to stick with ADO 1.5 (it is completely
>removed from the References menu).  I know the dll is on my system!  Why
>didn't they just force you to upgrade vb5 to 6?  The setup stuff gets
>whacked as well as building the apps.

>How can I unbreak this?

>thanks...
>George Hardy
>Landmark Graphics Corp.

Tue, 22 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ADO ADO ADO ADO ADO VB examples / samples book wanted

2. What happened in ADO sample?

3. VB.NET - What happened to Control Arrays?

4. What happen to VB mailing lists

5. What Happens to Comments in VB

6. What happened to Crystal Reports in VB 6.0?

7. Need enlightenment on what happens with VB errors raised across component boundaries

8. Whats happening to VB

9. What happened to 'vb form virus'?

10. What happen to my VB help file?

11. What happens to an ActiveX control when viewed from the Properties Windows in VB

12. ASP call VB.dll to Create Excel object it's not happen