Removing records from recordset without deleting
Author Message
 Removing records from recordset without deleting

In general, my question is:

How do you remove records from a client-side cursor recordset without
flagging them to be deleted?

To be more specific:

We're developing a multi-tier approach using MTS.  We're dealing with
this difficulty:  If we've only made changes to 2 records out of a
recordset of 50, why return all 50 records to MTS?  Why not just return
the records which have changed to MTS?

Environment:  VB6, ADO 2.1, SQL 7.0.

If what I've asked makes little sense, please interpolate it into an
intelligent question and answer that one :)

In addition to posting replies here, please also e-mail me your

(remove the NOSPAM to email me, I don't check my dejanews account)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 11 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Removing records from recordset without deleting
Have you set the MarshalOptions property of the Recordset object to
adMarshalModifiedOnly?

You can also examine the Status property for each record.

Daniel Ansari
Business Components
www.businesscomponents.net

Quote:
> In general, my question is:

> How do you remove records from a client-side cursor recordset without
> flagging them to be deleted?

> To be more specific:

> We're developing a multi-tier approach using MTS.  We're dealing with
> this difficulty:  If we've only made changes to 2 records out of a
> recordset of 50, why return all 50 records to MTS?  Why not just return
> the records which have changed to MTS?

> Environment:  VB6, ADO 2.1, SQL 7.0.

> If what I've asked makes little sense, please interpolate it into an
> intelligent question and answer that one :)

> In addition to posting replies here, please also e-mail me your

> (remove the NOSPAM to email me, I don't check my dejanews account)

Fri, 11 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Removing records from recordset without deleting
Or you could use a SQL Update or Insert

Joe

Quote:

>In general, my question is:

>How do you remove records from a client-side cursor recordset without
>flagging them to be deleted?

>To be more specific:

>We're developing a multi-tier approach using MTS.  We're dealing with
>this difficulty:  If we've only made changes to 2 records out of a
>recordset of 50, why return all 50 records to MTS?  Why not just return
>the records which have changed to MTS?

>Environment:  VB6, ADO 2.1, SQL 7.0.

>If what I've asked makes little sense, please interpolate it into an
>intelligent question and answer that one :)

>In addition to posting replies here, please also e-mail me your

>(remove the NOSPAM to email me, I don't check my dejanews account)

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Removing records from recordset without deleting
As far as I understand MTS, using either of these options would mean
the entire recordset would be sent back to the server.  This would mean
if I had a recordset of 100 records, of which only 2 had changed, I
would be sending 98 records back to MTS that MTS needs take no action
on.

Quote:
> Have you set the MarshalOptions property of the Recordset object to
> adMarshalModifiedOnly?

> You can also examine the Status property for each record.

> Daniel Ansari
> Business Components
> www.businesscomponents.net

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Deleting records from a recordset without deleting from the database

2. Deleting records from a recordset without effecting the database

3. Removing Deleted Records from MDB or

4. Removing Deleted Records

5. Removing Deleted Records

6. Q: Recordsets - How to delete items without affecting underlying table

7. recordset inserts/deletes without changing database

8. ADO recordset not work properly with datagrid when add and remove records

9. Removing Duplicate Records in a Database.recordset

10. Removing records from a recordset

11. Removing records from a recordset

12. Adding a record without opening a recordset