Beginner's Question DAO/ADO
Author Message
 Beginner's Question DAO/ADO

I have been programming in DAO with an Access database.  The number of users
has now grown enough to give me some concerns about DAO.  I am trying to get
my head around ADO to rewrite the code.  As an absolute beginner, I am
stumped by ADO  not having an index object.  How do I program for a "DAO
Seek"?  I have a number of multi-field indexes in the database.

Thanks in advance for any help to get me started.

Ian

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:33:36 GMT
 Beginner's Question DAO/ADO
Hi Ian,

    Instead of indexes, you should use ORDER BY clause inside the SELECT
statement used to populate the RecordSet.  Maybe slower than indexed fields
but great flexibity...

    Hope this helps,

Rejean Cloutier

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:43:17 GMT
 Beginner's Question DAO/ADO
Thank you Rejean.

My app is probably not appropriate for ADO.  It involves a lot of "number
crunching" from frequently sought data.  I'll give ADO another try with a
simpler "show and tell" app.

Thanks for your help.

Ian

Hi Ian,

    Instead of indexes, you should use ORDER BY clause inside the SELECT
statement used to populate the RecordSet.  Maybe slower than indexed fields
but great flexibity...

    Hope this helps,

Rejean Cloutier

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:31:12 GMT
 Beginner's Question DAO/ADO

typed and posted to microsoft.public.vb.database:

If you have not already seen this whitepaper then I'd suggest you take a
look at it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnda...

It's about migrating to ADO from DAO using the jet provider.

William

Quote:
>Thank you Rejean.

>My app is probably not appropriate for ADO.  It involves a lot of "number
>crunching" from frequently sought data.  I'll give ADO another try with a
>simpler "show and tell" app.

>Thanks for your help.

>Ian

>Hi Ian,

>    Instead of indexes, you should use ORDER BY clause inside the SELECT
>statement used to populate the RecordSet.  Maybe slower than indexed fields
>but great flexibity...

>    Hope this helps,

>Rejean Cloutier

Sun, 01 May 2005 01:27:37 GMT
 Beginner's Question DAO/ADO
Thank you William,

I'll study it.

Ian

typed and posted to microsoft.public.vb.database:

If you have not already seen this whitepaper then I'd suggest you take a
look at it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnda...
daotoadoupdate.asp

It's about migrating to ADO from DAO using the jet provider.

William

Quote:
>Thank you Rejean.

>My app is probably not appropriate for ADO.  It involves a lot of "number
>crunching" from frequently sought data.  I'll give ADO another try with a
>simpler "show and tell" app.

>Thanks for your help.

>Ian

>Hi Ian,

>    Instead of indexes, you should use ORDER BY clause inside the SELECT
>statement used to populate the RecordSet.  Maybe slower than indexed fields
>but great flexibity...

>    Hope this helps,

>Rejean Cloutier

Sun, 01 May 2005 19:55:20 GMT

1. beginners DBGrid & DAO question

2. beginners DBGrid & DAO question

3. Beginner w/DAO Data Type Question

4. DAO and ADO 'Help files'

5. help with creating dao's tabledef from ado's recordset

6. ADO's Performance vs DAO's Performance

7. help with creating dao's tabledef from ado's recordset

8. help with creating dao's tabledef from ado's recordset

9. DoCmd and Subform - beginner's question

10. beginner's question: Outlook forms interacting with Access databases

11. Total beginner's question!

12. Beginner's question