Error 3218 - This One Is Really Weird
Author Message
 Error 3218 - This One Is Really Weird

I have an app written in VB6 that uses an Access 97 database for the backend
and uses DAO.  One of the app's users is getting an error 3218 - Couldn't
update, currently locked when he's trying to generate a report (the program
writes data into a work table in order to generate the report).  The user's
computer is running Windows 95.  The database is on a Novell NetWare server
(not sure if the version is 3.2 or 5.x).  I made sure that no one was
connected to the database (no ldb file was present) before starting the
program but the program still gets the error.  I uninstalled and reinstalled
the app.  I restarted the computer and I still get the same error.

I'm sure some of you are getting ready to say that I need to change the SET
MAXIMUM RECORD LOCKS and SET MAXIMUM RECORD LOCKS PER CONNECTION settings on
the server (I already did some searching on Deja.com before writing this).
The weird part is that I have another user who is connected to the same file
server and the same database with the same VB6 app on another Windows 95
computer who is able to generate the same report with no problems
whatsoever.

Does anyone have any ideas why the program doesn't work on one computer but
works on another?  Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions that anyone
can offer.

Scott

Mon, 29 Sep 2003 03:37:08 GMT
 Error 3218 - This One Is Really Weird
Hi Scott,

    Have you checked the user rights for both people involved?  If the first
user doesn't have create rights to the directory containing the database,
the .ldb file can't be created.  I've run into this issue a couple of times
with my own applications.

Hope this helps

David

Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:44:21 GMT
 Error 3218 - This One Is Really Weird
I checked that already and both users have the necessary rights.  I kinda
figured they had the necessary rights before I checked since both users are
able to create the ldb file.  I'm starting to think that someone or
something is trying to tell me to stop using DAO and Access 97 (see the
other message I posted last week with the subject line "Problem With VB6 App
With Access 97 Backend Running On Windows 2000 Pro" which no one has
responded to yet).  Thanks for the suggestion.  Let me know if you think of
anything else to check.

Scott

Quote:
> Hi Scott,

>     Have you checked the user rights for both people involved?  If the
first
> user doesn't have create rights to the directory containing the database,
> the .ldb file can't be created.  I've run into this issue a couple of
times
> with my own applications.

> Hope this helps

> David

Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:06:33 GMT
 Error 3218 - This One Is Really Weird

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Error 3218 - This One Is Really Weird
Okay, I'm still trying to track this bug down.  Earlier today I tried
copying the database from the file server to the user's local hard disk and
the program, of course, ran fine.  I then checked to see what version of the
Novell NetWare client the user was running.  He had version 3.1 on his
machine while the other user who was having no problems had version 3.3 on
her machine.  I updated the client on the computer to version 3.3 and tried
the program again and it still didn't work.  Next I tried having the program
display some message boxes at crucial areas of the program.  I determined
that the error is occurring when the program is trying to execute a mass
delete.  The SQL statement that is being executed at the time of the error
is:

DELETE * FROM tblReconcile WHERE txtComputerName='PC#370';

Does anyone have any ideas why this thing isn't working on this one
computer?  Thanks in advance.

Scott

Quote:
> I checked that already and both users have the necessary rights.  I kinda
> figured they had the necessary rights before I checked since both users
are
> able to create the ldb file.  I'm starting to think that someone or
> something is trying to tell me to stop using DAO and Access 97 (see the
> other message I posted last week with the subject line "Problem With VB6
App
> With Access 97 Backend Running On Windows 2000 Pro" which no one has
> responded to yet).  Thanks for the suggestion.  Let me know if you think
of
> anything else to check.

> Scott

> > Hi Scott,

> >     Have you checked the user rights for both people involved?  If the
> first
> > user doesn't have create rights to the directory containing the
database,
> > the .ldb file can't be created.  I've run into this issue a couple of
> times
> > with my own applications.

> > Hope this helps

> > David

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 00:26:31 GMT
 Error 3218 - This One Is Really Weird

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Error 3218 - This One Is Really Weird
In desperation I talked to our network administrator and asked him to try
changing the Maximum Record Locks Per Connection setting on the server.  It
worked.  I still don't understand why it worked before for one user and not
for another but at least its fixed now so I don't have to worry about it any
more.

Scott

Quote:
> Okay, I'm still trying to track this bug down.  Earlier today I tried
> copying the database from the file server to the user's local hard disk
and
> the program, of course, ran fine.  I then checked to see what version of
the
> Novell NetWare client the user was running.  He had version 3.1 on his
> machine while the other user who was having no problems had version 3.3 on
> her machine.  I updated the client on the computer to version 3.3 and
tried
> the program again and it still didn't work.  Next I tried having the
program
> display some message boxes at crucial areas of the program.  I determined
> that the error is occurring when the program is trying to execute a mass
> delete.  The SQL statement that is being executed at the time of the error
> is:

> DELETE * FROM tblReconcile WHERE txtComputerName='PC#370';

> Does anyone have any ideas why this thing isn't working on this one
> computer?  Thanks in advance.

> Scott

> > I checked that already and both users have the necessary rights.  I
kinda
> > figured they had the necessary rights before I checked since both users
> are
> > able to create the ldb file.  I'm starting to think that someone or
> > something is trying to tell me to stop using DAO and Access 97 (see the
> > other message I posted last week with the subject line "Problem With VB6
> App
> > With Access 97 Backend Running On Windows 2000 Pro" which no one has
> > responded to yet).  Thanks for the suggestion.  Let me know if you think
> of
> > anything else to check.

> > Scott

> > > Hi Scott,

> > >     Have you checked the user rights for both people involved?  If the
> > first
> > > user doesn't have create rights to the directory containing the
> database,
> > > the .ldb file can't be created.  I've run into this issue a couple of
> > times
> > > with my own applications.

> > > Hope this helps

> > > David

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:42:52 GMT

1. Access hangs up after error 3218

2. Access hangs after error 3218

3. 3218 Record Lock error

4. Error 3218?

5. Error Code : 3218 while running application

6. runtime error # 3218 with VB 6.0

7. Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware

8. Help, Error 3218 when replicating a database.

9. Help, Error 3218 when replicating

10. Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware!

11. Help: Error 3218 in VB5 data access

12. Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware