Object-to-Relational Mapping (VB-based Component Object Model)
Author Message
 Object-to-Relational Mapping (VB-based Component Object Model)

Hi,

WARNING:  This message is cross-posted.  Sorry about that,
but this is a multi-dimensional question.
If cross-posting is frowned upon these days,
please direct all responses only to
microsoft.public.microsofttransactionserver.programming.

The following question comes from someone who used to live
in the 2-tier, c/s, C++ with Sybase world:

How do you generally solve the object-to-relational mapping problem
in the following environment:  COM components written in VB
running in the context of MTS (i.e., "business services layer") and
preferably using ADO (b/c it's supposedly strategic) as the data access layer
to SQL Server?

And, what types of OO relationships do you support?
Do you support the concept of inheritance (e.g., if I have an Animal component
and I have a Dog component that is logically a subclass of the Animal component,
will your Animal iterator support iterating through all animals that happen to
be
subclasses of Animal?
Do you support the concept of containment of a set of components?

Whenever I see examples of business services layer components
written in VB, I always see SQL embedded in the business objects.
I don't necessarily like this, for maintenance/extensibility/reuse reasons.
I'd rather something that's more declarative, e.g., take a VB component object
model
that supports inheritance and/or containment
(Is there even a way to "declare" a VB component object model?)
and statically/dynamically map it to a relational DB
with support for the typical CRUD operations as well as iterators/cursors.

How far does ADO go in getting me there?

Thanks, Joe

Mon, 24 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Report Object Model/Viewer Object Model

2. Info: VB Add-In generates object relational ActiveX objects

3. Diagram COM components object model

4. COM - Component Object Model Interface

5. Visual Component Object Model

6. Returning an object with sub objects from vb component (COM) to ASP

7. Object-to-Relational Products for COM/VB

8. Referencing Objects(Components) in other VB components

9. Object-Based VS Object-Oriented

10. Object Base VS Object Oriented

11. VB.net to Outlook object model, and iterations

12. VB, Access and the Word object model