Jet Database Corruption/High .LDB Write Locks
Author Message
 Jet Database Corruption/High .LDB Write Locks

We have a 350 meg Access database (ugh) that is in use by about 15 people
using a VB 5.0 app using DAO & RDO.  Just recently the database has started
becoming corrupt daily.  Once it is corrupt nobody can use the app until it
is repaired using Access.  A different person seems to "cause" the
corruption every time, but if you look on the NT Server Manager just before
or once the corruption has occured, the person that "caused" it has between
75 and 100 Write locks to the .LDB file.  At the same time, they only have
one lock to the .MDB file.  And when everything is running "OK", people have
no more than 1 or 2 locks to either the .MDB or the .LDB.

Any ideas?

Regards
Dave

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Jet Database Corruption/High .LDB Write Locks

Knowing the version of access doesn't matter I guess, but I think clearly
the 10 person limit in Access is being Realized...

How are you implementing record locking (Optimistic or Pessimistic?)

Is the Access Security model being utilized ?

is this access 95 (Version 7.0) ???

How often is the databases being compacted ?

how many transactions are occuring hourly ? daily? etc.

My guess is that an upsize to SQL Server 7.0 will be in your near future :-)

Greg Jackson
PDX, OR

Quote:

>We have a 350 meg Access database (ugh) that is in use by about 15 people
>using a VB 5.0 app using DAO & RDO.  Just recently the database has started
>becoming corrupt daily.  Once it is corrupt nobody can use the app until it
>is repaired using Access.  A different person seems to "cause" the
>corruption every time, but if you look on the NT Server Manager just before
>or once the corruption has occured, the person that "caused" it has between
>75 and 100 Write locks to the .LDB file.  At the same time, they only have
>one lock to the .MDB file.  And when everything is running "OK", people
have
>no more than 1 or 2 locks to either the .MDB or the .LDB.

>Any ideas?

>Regards
>Dave

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Jet Database Corruption/High .LDB Write Locks

10 user limit?

Quote:
>Knowing the version of access doesn't matter I guess, but I think clearly
>the 10 person limit in Access is being Realized...

>How are you implementing record locking (Optimistic or Pessimistic?)

>Is the Access Security model being utilized ?

>is this access 95 (Version 7.0) ???

>How often is the databases being compacted ?

>how many transactions are occuring hourly ? daily? etc.

>My guess is that an upsize to SQL Server 7.0 will be in your near future
:-)

>Greg Jackson
>PDX, OR

>>We have a 350 meg Access database (ugh) that is in use by about 15 people
>>using a VB 5.0 app using DAO & RDO.  Just recently the database has
started
>>becoming corrupt daily.  Once it is corrupt nobody can use the app until
it
>>is repaired using Access.  A different person seems to "cause" the
>>corruption every time, but if you look on the NT Server Manager just
before
>>or once the corruption has occured, the person that "caused" it has
between
>>75 and 100 Write locks to the .LDB file.  At the same time, they only have
>>one lock to the .MDB file.  And when everything is running "OK", people
>have
>>no more than 1 or 2 locks to either the .MDB or the .LDB.

>>Any ideas?

>>Regards
>>Dave

Sat, 02 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Jet Database Corruption/High .LDB Write Locks

Our company had this problem,  but our Access 2.0 DB waited until we had
about 30 users.  It was not a great thing to kick everyone out for an
hour while we repaired and compacted the 70MB database; this happened
about 1-3 times daily.
        My, umm, superior tried taking the network back down to 10MB (he
suspected networking problems),  creating a buffer database (users save
to the buffer DB, and a single app saves to the actual DB), and many
other things.  It still kept getting corrupted until he gave up and
started using SQL Server 6.5.  That brought up a whole slew of other
concerns (no more "seek" or "Findfirst") but the corruption stopped.  4
months later everything runs pretty smoothly, but it was a lot of work
to get here.  We still use Jet in most places to run queries,  but open
connections when performance is a major concern.

Dave

<snip>

Quote:

> >My guess is that an upsize to SQL Server 7.0 will be in your near future
> :-)

> >Greg Jackson
> >PDX, OR

> >>We have a 350 meg Access database (ugh) that is in use by about 15 people
> >>using a VB 5.0 app using DAO & RDO.  Just recently the database has
> started
> >>becoming corrupt daily.  Once it is corrupt nobody can use the app until
> it
> >>is repaired using Access.  A different person seems to "cause" the
> >>corruption every time, but if you look on the NT Server Manager just
> before
> >>or once the corruption has occured, the person that "caused" it has
> between
> >>75 and 100 Write locks to the .LDB file.  At the same time, they only have
> >>one lock to the .MDB file.  And when everything is running "OK", people
> >have
> >>no more than 1 or 2 locks to either the .MDB or the .LDB.

> >>Any ideas?

> >>Regards
> >>Dave

Mon, 11 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Jet Database Corruption/High .LDB Write Locks

2. JET corruption -delayed write back

3. US/UK Date corruption: Jet 3.5 stored procs via Jet 4

4. ADO Locking and MS-Jet Database Engine 4.0

5. Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode

6. ADO Locking and MS-Jet Database Engine 4.0

7. Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode

8. Using Data from the Temporary Created Record-Locking file .ldb

9. LDB File Locked, permission denied.

10. Jet 3.0 vs Jet 3.5 table locking during queries

11. Locked LDB files - Help!

12. Detecting lock regions in .LDB files.