Crystal Reports slow down in production
Author Message
 Crystal Reports slow down in production

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase the speed of my Crystal
Report?  My users are starting to notice a significant slow down (appx. 20+
secs. for a one page report).  I am using Crystal Reports 6, VB5, Access 97,
10BaseT Windows 95 peer-to-peer network with a 200 MhZ Pentium I server with
32MB RAM.  The two tables that the report draws from are as follows:  1st:
1,300 records & 43 fields, and 2nd:  3,100 records & 130 fields.

My questions are as follows:
1) Would upgrading to Crystal Reports 7 help?
2) Will upgrading the RAM and/or the server machine make a significant
difference?
3) Should I go ahead and switch to SQL Server?  (By the end of this year I
should have 4-5 times the number of records.)
4) Would switching to Active Reports cause any speed increase?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Angie Galloway
PAK Unlimited, Inc.

Mon, 30 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports slow down in production
There could be a number of reasons you've got this slow down that may not be
exclusive to Crystal. For example, has any SQL statements used been
modified, thus risking non-optimal processing? Has traffic across the
network increased due to your users' traffic or the traffic for other
application users sharing the same network? Has any part of the reporting
code you use changed? Factors like these can contribute to a slow down. You
might try reducing the amount of records returned for SELECT queries, or
used query defs in Access to reduce the amount of pre-processing of data
requests. switching to SQL Server will help since you canuse stored
procedures and many advanced recordset caching schemes.

--
John Conley
Chief System Architect

Quote:

>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase the speed of my Crystal
>Report?  My users are starting to notice a significant slow down (appx. 20+
>secs. for a one page report).  I am using Crystal Reports 6, VB5, Access
97,
>10BaseT Windows 95 peer-to-peer network with a 200 MhZ Pentium I server
with
>32MB RAM.  The two tables that the report draws from are as follows:  1st:
>1,300 records & 43 fields, and 2nd:  3,100 records & 130 fields.

>My questions are as follows:
>1) Would upgrading to Crystal Reports 7 help?
>2) Will upgrading the RAM and/or the server machine make a significant
>difference?
>3) Should I go ahead and switch to SQL Server?  (By the end of this year I
>should have 4-5 times the number of records.)
>4) Would switching to Active Reports cause any speed increase?

>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help.

>Angie Galloway
>PAK Unlimited, Inc.

Mon, 30 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Crystal Report starting to slow down in production

2. Crystal slowing down system

3. Help - Trending report in the Drill-Down style in Crystal Reports 8.5

4. many alias tables slowing down the report

5. help with simple drill-down report in crystal reports

6. slow printing from Crystal Reports

7. Crystal Report running slow off a view

8. Is Crystal Reports supposed to be this SLow ?

9. Drill down problem in Crystal Report

10. Locking down crystal reports

11. Crystal Reports when down loaded to excel 97

12. Drill down problems in Crystal Report