adding new records & new record
Author Message
 adding new records & new record

 Three things:

1) I have a text box bound to a data control & am trying to update the
recordset on exiting the text box but keep getting "This action cancelled by
an Associated Object (3426)." I have the Article from MS but it doesn't work
(everyone should read this article Q189851; it redefines 'useless') I just
want to update the record when I want to. I guess MS knows when I should
update better than I do, "Would you like to update today?"

2) How can I tell if I'm 'on' a new record?

3) Where can I find good doc's on not using bound controls?

Please & Thanks for any help...

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 adding new records & new record
Russell,

Quote:
> 1) I have a text box bound to a data control & am trying to update the
> recordset on exiting the text box but keep getting "This action
cancelled by
> an Associated Object (3426)." I have the Article from MS but it doesn't
work
> (everyone should read this article Q189851; it redefines 'useless') I
just
> want to update the record when I want to. I guess MS knows when I should
> update better than I do, "Would you like to update today?"

Um, I was going to recommend that article, but never mind. Wonder why it
doesn't work for you, though. Maybe someone else has a good idea.

Quote:
> 2) How can I tell if I'm 'on' a new record?

Check the data control's EditMode property of the data control's Recordset
object -- it can be either dbEditNone, dbEditInProgress or dbEditAdd.

Quote:
> 3) Where can I find good doc's on not using bound controls?

Check the office developer's forum: http://www.microsoft.com/officedev/ I
think there was a whitepaper there discussing some techniques.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please post/reply to the newsgroup(s) so
that everyone can benefit from the discussion.

Regards,

Klaus H. Probst, MCP

       ICQ: 22454937
      The VB Box: http://members.xoom.com/kprobst/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 adding new records & new record

Quote:
>> 1) I have a text box bound to a data control & am trying to update the
>> recordset on exiting the text box but keep getting "This action
>cancelled by
>> an Associated Object (3426)." I have the Article from MS but it doesn't
>work
>> (everyone should read this article Q189851; it redefines 'useless') I
>just
>> want to update the record when I want to. I guess MS knows when I should
>> update better than I do, "Would you like to update today?"

>Um, I was going to recommend that article, but never mind. Wonder why it
>doesn't work for you, though. Maybe someone else has a good idea.

I have come across this error a few times myself when using a combination of
DAO and the Data Control.  I have also noticed that it would happen with the
Data Control even when I wasn't using DAO (although not as often).  In the
end, I finally gave up on the Data Control and am using strictly DAO.  This
seemed to solve my problem.

--
Later,
Jody

http://www.visual-statement.com/vb

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to add new records in a new database

2. deleting records in a table and then adding new records

3. ADO2.5, can't add new record to an empty table using record binding

4. DOTNet Web apps &adding new record to sql

5. Auto-filling fields in a new record with info from a previous record

6. Inserting a new record between existing records?

7. Inserting a new record between existing records?

8. Moving from New Record to Existing Record in Code

9. going to next record after inserting a new record

10. Determining whether a record is a existing record or a new one

11. problem use old record to create new record

12. Copy an ADO record to a new record?