VB.NET vs. VB6 royalties questions
Author Message
 VB.NET vs. VB6 royalties questions

I'm going to convert our DOS system to a Windows system. I have 50 customers
using the current system and I need to keep their costs (royalties) low. I
decided to use Windows XP. I would like to use VB.NET, but doesn't it use a
common runtime? Can I assume from this that the end user will have to pay a
royalty to have the runtime on their system? If so, anyone know about how
much and if it is a 1 time charge? If I use VB6, can't it compile to .exe so
that the end user does not have to pay a royalty? I have pretty much decided
to use MySql (and MyODBC) to keep the costs low.

Any advise will be appreciated. TIA.

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:52:41 GMT
 VB.NET vs. VB6 royalties questions

Quote:
> I'm going to convert our DOS system to a Windows system. I have 50
> customers using the current system and I need to keep their costs
> (royalties) low. I decided to use Windows XP. I would like to use
> VB.NET, but doesn't it use a common runtime? Can I assume from this
> that the end user will have to pay a royalty to have the runtime on
> their system? If so, anyone know about how much and if it is a 1 time
> charge? If I use VB6, can't it compile to .exe so that the end user
> does not have to pay a royalty? I have pretty much decided to use
> MySql (and MyODBC) to keep the costs low.

VB6 requires a runtime as well.  AFAIK, neither VB6 nor VB.Net requires
royalty payments for the runtimes and both are freely downloadable from MS.
You should probably ask in the *.dotnet.* newsgroups though as MS
participation is more active there.

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:12:02 GMT
 VB.NET vs. VB6 royalties questions
Thanks for the newsgroup help. One question for you. If VB6 can compile to
.exe, why would you need a runtime? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Quote:
> VB6 requires a runtime as well.  AFAIK, neither VB6 nor VB.Net requires
> royalty payments for the runtimes and both are freely downloadable from
MS.
> You should probably ask in the *.dotnet.* newsgroups though as MS
> participation is more active there.

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:07:44 GMT
 VB.NET vs. VB6 royalties questions

Quote:
> Thanks for the newsgroup help. One question for you. If VB6 can compile to
> .exe, why would you need a runtime? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Just about everything needs more than an .exe file to run these days.  Even
any decent-sized C++ program is likely to need dlls and ocxs to run.  VB
compiles an executable, but it still requires the run time file to execute
(along with some ocxs and dlls more than likely).  .Net compiles an
executable that runs on the .Net Framework.  The Framework is supposed to be
included with all new versions of the MS operating system and is available
free now from Microsoft.  It is a lot bigger than the VB6 runtime -- not as
easy to just include it in your install program -- but based on the general
improvements in .Net probably worth it.

If you are just starting VB work, skip the venerable old stuff and use .Net
If you're learning anyway, the advantages of .Net are worth it.

Marty

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:24:10 GMT
 VB.NET vs. VB6 royalties questions
I would also take a look at MSDE ( the little brother of SQL Server ) - it
is also licensce free(afaik).

ciao
Lee Robinson

Quote:
> I'm going to convert our DOS system to a Windows system. I have 50
customers
> using the current system and I need to keep their costs (royalties) low. I
> decided to use Windows XP. I would like to use VB.NET, but doesn't it use
> common runtime? Can I assume from this that the end user will have to pay
> royalty to have the runtime on their system? If so, anyone know about how
> much and if it is a 1 time charge? If I use VB6, can't it compile to .exe
so
> that the end user does not have to pay a royalty? I have pretty much
decided
> to use MySql (and MyODBC) to keep the costs low.

> Any advise will be appreciated. TIA.

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:48:01 GMT
 VB.NET vs. VB6 royalties questions
Ok, I see now. Thanks for setting me straight.

Quote:

> > Thanks for the newsgroup help. One question for you. If VB6 can compile
> > .exe, why would you need a runtime? Thanks in advance for any insight.

> Just about everything needs more than an .exe file to run these days.
Even
> any decent-sized C++ program is likely to need dlls and ocxs to run.  VB
> compiles an executable, but it still requires the run time file to execute
> (along with some ocxs and dlls more than likely).  .Net compiles an
> executable that runs on the .Net Framework.  The Framework is supposed to
be
> included with all new versions of the MS operating system and is available
> free now from Microsoft.  It is a lot bigger than the VB6 runtime -- not
as
> easy to just include it in your install program -- but based on the
general
> improvements in .Net probably worth it.

> If you are just starting VB work, skip the venerable old stuff and use
.Net
> If you're learning anyway, the advantages of .Net are worth it.

> Marty

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:58:47 GMT
 VB.NET vs. VB6 royalties questions
I look into it. Thanks.

Quote:
> I would also take a look at MSDE ( the little brother of SQL Server ) - it
> is also licensce free(afaik).

> ciao
> Lee Robinson

> > I'm going to convert our DOS system to a Windows system. I have 50
> customers
> > using the current system and I need to keep their costs (royalties) low.
> > decided to use Windows XP. I would like to use VB.NET, but doesn't it
use
> > common runtime? Can I assume from this that the end user will have to
pay
> > royalty to have the runtime on their system? If so, anyone know about
how
> > much and if it is a 1 time charge? If I use VB6, can't it compile to
.exe
> so
> > that the end user does not have to pay a royalty? I have pretty much
> decided
> > to use MySql (and MyODBC) to keep the costs low.

> > Any advise will be appreciated. TIA.

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:59:26 GMT

1. Newbie confused: VB6 vs VB.Net vs VBScript vs VBA

2. Newbie confused: VB6 vs VB.Net vs VBscript vs VBA

3. VB.NET common runtime royalty?

4. memory usage question VB6 vs .Net

5. VB6/ASP vs .NET/ASP.NET development

6. VB.NET COM Interop -vs- VB6 ---- The Turtle And The Hare