Client/Server --> VB/SQL --> Timestamp data type
Author Message
 Client/Server --> VB/SQL --> Timestamp data type

Client/Server development
cleint = vb
server = SQL server

We're using a "ts" field (of type timestamp) in every table to allow SQL
server to keep track of database changes in a multiuser environment.

At some point in time, we'd like to retrieve the data in the "ts" field and
store it in a variable on the client side.  Later, we'd like to send this
variable back to the server, compare it with the current value of the "ts"
field, verify that the timestamp hasn't changed, and proceed.

However, we're running into some data type conversion issues.  We're having
trouble sending the value of the variable back to the server.

What is it that we're doing wrong?  Perhaps we're making a slight oversight?

Anyone have any input as to effectively making use of timestamping using
VB/SQL?

Thanks in advance.

.Yarone Goren

Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Client/Server --> VB/SQL --> Timestamp data type

Check out the article in the MSKB, Q170380,
I use it daily and it works great.
Be sure the use the Sql funstion TSEQUAL()

Quote:
>We're using a "ts" field (of type timestamp) in every table to allow SQL
>server to keep track of database changes in a multiuser environment.

>At some point in time, we'd like to retrieve the data in the "ts" field and
>store it in a variable on the client side.  Later, we'd like to send this
>variable back to the server, compare it with the current value of the "ts"
>field, verify that the timestamp hasn't changed, and proceed.

>However, we're running into some data type conversion issues.  We're having
>trouble sending the value of the variable back to the server.

>What is it that we're doing wrong?  Perhaps we're making a slight oversight?

>Anyone have any input as to effectively making use of timestamping using
>VB/SQL?

>Thanks in advance.

>.Yarone Goren

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Pass Data VB>SQL>ODBC>Oracle Database

2. using The Shell Command >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

4. >>>>>>While Not rst.EOF

5. PSUDOCODE HELP >>>>>>>>>>>

6. optimizing performance and data transfer vb->excel and vb->vb

7. optimizing performance and data transfer vb->excel and vb->vb

8. VB-->JET-->INTERSOLV ODBC-->OPEN CLIENT-->Sybase Data Retrieval problem.

9. >>>>> Serial Communications

10. VB5 >>>>> Academic Version

11. <<<`<<Is SQL SERVER supplied with Windows NT???>>>>>

12. <<<<HELP- OLE container Control>>>>>>>>>