I know this can be done ! ( But I am not smart enough to know how :) )
Author Message
 I know this can be done ! ( But I am not smart enough to know how :) )

 Hello from a really new programer!

 Here is the problem.

   I?am trying to make a program that will look up street names for the
fire department 911 operator.  When I dispatch I take the address from a
caller and then spend up to 45 seconds looking it up in the Index of our
map book. While 45 seconds does not sound like much, it is time wasted
and frankly  I sometimes don't have it to waste!

  Here is what I want to do.  In fact it is exactly like the contents
tab on any windows help section.

 I have a form with a input box, a large text window and a search
command button.  I want to enter the first letter of the street name,
for example "A" and have the text box show  the beginning of the
"A"?section.  Then If I add another letter , such as "E", it would move
to the first of the "AE"'s . The more letters I add the closer I get to
the name of the street I 'm looking for....

 I have a database of app. 35 pages of street names. Each row contains
Street Name, Number range, Subdivision, County, District, Cross Street,
Key Map Page and our Map Page.  These names are listed in alphabetical
order. I really only need to read the first block in each row when I do
a search, If I read the whole line the cross street will be included in
the search and  that will not give me the right preceding and following
lines because the cross street column is not in order.

I need the text window to display not only the line that comes closest
to the input but also the 6 lines above and below it in the data base.
This is so that the dispatcher will see the right section and if
spelling is a little off it would not matter. Also our index has
multiple listings of the same street name because of different addresses
so I?must see more than the one record the DATA control returns. I would
also like to have the list scroll.

After buying and reading two different VB4 books I am stumped. I have
the form all nice and pretty but I have no idea on how to make it work
:(

 Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tue, 07 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 I know this can be done ! ( But I am not smart enough to know how :) )

Quote:

> Hello from a really new programer!
> Here is the problem.
>   I?am trying to make a program that will look up street names for the
>fire department 911 operator.  When I dispatch I take the address from a
>caller and then spend up to 45 seconds looking it up in the Index of our
>map book. While 45 seconds does not sound like much, it is time wasted
>and frankly  I sometimes don't have it to waste!
>  Here is what I want to do.  In fact it is exactly like the contents
>tab on any windows help section.
> I have a form with a input box, a large text window and a search
>command button.  I want to enter the first letter of the street name,
>for example "A" and have the text box show  the beginning of the
>"A"?section.  Then If I add another letter , such as "E", it would move
>to the first of the "AE"'s . The more letters I add the closer I get to
>the name of the street I 'm looking for....
> I have a database of app. 35 pages of street names. Each row contains
>Street Name, Number range, Subdivision, County, District, Cross Street,
>Key Map Page and our Map Page.  These names are listed in alphabetical
>order. I really only need to read the first block in each row when I do
>a search, If I read the whole line the cross street will be included in
>the search and  that will not give me the right preceding and following
>lines because the cross street column is not in order.
>I need the text window to display not only the line that comes closest
>to the input but also the 6 lines above and below it in the data base.
>This is so that the dispatcher will see the right section and if
>spelling is a little off it would not matter. Also our index has
>multiple listings of the same street name because of different addresses
>so I?must see more than the one record the DATA control returns. I would
>also like to have the list scroll.
>After buying and reading two different VB4 books I am stumped. I have
>the form all nice and pretty but I have no idea on how to make it work
>:(
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Set up an Index for Street do not make it primary or unique. Then use
the key press event to to perform the seek using the text in the text
box. I usually set a seperate search text box for this purpose.

Seek the record >= the text in the box.

Backup six records using moveprevious
Each time you back up check for BOF

Once you have backed up six records clear the  list and then
additem to list
movenext
Additem to list
do twelve additems and movenext
You again must check for EOF when movenext is executed.

The problem will occur when you are within the first six records of
the database and the last six records of the database. This is why you
must test for BOF and EOF in the iteration for move previous and
movenext.

John Reedich

Sat, 11 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

2. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

3. I am trying igain - somebody must know

4. I AM A BEGINNER AND NEED TO KNOW..........

5. Will somwbody reply who knows what i am on about (IPX/SPX)

6. How can I know I am connected?

7. How i know when I am connected

8. How to know the sub name I am into

10. Help w/ timing -- oh, nevermind, your probably not smart enough

11. When is 5:00 AM not 5:00 AM? When it's 5:00 AM.

12. Recordset: What am I doing wrong?