Need help with WAN project..
Author Message
 Need help with WAN project..

This wouldn't be too hard to do..

If you have an afternoon you should be able to get most of it written.

I would build 3 small apps.

1 - Tech's client app. Simple form with some option buttons for their
status, some text boxes for login info, and a winsock control.
        - Needs a method to login to server when they press some button.
        - Needs a method to update server when they change their status.

2 - Dispatch's client app. Simple form with something like a grid that
displays the attached techs and their status.
        - Needs a method to login to server when they press some button.
        - You could pull the arrays from the server with a timer, or push
them from the server when they change.

3- Server app. Basically a winsock control array, and an array for the
tech's info.
        - Some connection code (take the example from the help files)
        - Some events to push the status changes to the Dispatch client
apps.

I wouldn't bother with the database unless you want to keep a record of
things. I mean if the server crashes and you start it up later, what good
are the tech's status' if they were last updated a while ago. Just keep the
info in an array and dont worry about the database. As for the bandwidth,
your TCP/IP packets are only gonna be a few bytes when the tech changes his
option buttons - this shouldn't be a problem..

Lookup the help section for Winsock controls, half of your app is right
there in the example..

This should be only about Intermediate difficulty if you keep it simple..

- Brian Pavlich

Quote:

> I am thinking of taking this on as a project...

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> The Environment:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> I work in a help desk type environment where calls get routed from a
central
> dispatch. We do not use the phone switch's Automatic Call Distribution
> because of its WAN limitations. This dispatch system works for HQ because
> the dispatcher can see all the techs in the area and can determine if they
> are on the phone or if they are testing or if they are in the lab or out
> lunch or whatever.  However, we have techs across the WAN as well. The
same
> dispatch transfers calls there too.

> ~~~~~~~~~~
> The Problem:
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> 1. Many times, dispatch will transfer a call and if the call takes long
> enough, the tech is still on the phone when dispatch tries to transfer
> him/her another one.
> 2. Techs have to call dispatch every time they come in to the office, when
> they step away from their desks, when they go for lunch etc.
> 3. Dispatch has to call and wait for voicemail or wait for the tech to
tell
> them that they are on another call. They then have to find someone else
who
> would be available.
> 4. Techs can't see if another tech is on a call or away.

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Possible Solution that I can think of:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Create an application with a userid for every tech. This application would
> allow all techs to update their status: Available/On a
> call/Researching/Testing/In Lab/Out to lunch/Gone for the day. Dispatch
> would have a monitor that would refresh with all technicians' current
> status, so that the call could be routed appropriately.

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> ??? THE QUESTION???
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> What would be the best way to implement this? I was thinking of doing this
> with a small database with just a couple of tables that store that
> information. Any other ideas?

> My programming experience is limited to VB and VC++ (basics of it) and
most
> projects have been related to databases or COM objects that have been
> available to me. My networking experience is more on the overall knowledge
> of how TCP/IP works etc with day to day troubleshooting of routing and
> subnetting etc . I have never *programmed* with networking protocols in
> mind. But I'm willing to explore that possibility if someone can point me
in
> the right direction. I think this might be too bandwidth intensive though
> (?).

> Any help would be much appreciated.

> Thanks.

> - Yaz.

Tue, 08 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need help with WAN project..

2. Need help with WAN project..

3. Need help with WAN project..

4. Need help with WAN project..

5. ! Need help with WAN File Transfer !!

6. {Need Help Big Project Need Help}

7. Incomplete Project Need Help (VB5 - Project Attached)

8. Need programmer, for help on project (own project)

9. Need Idea for Crystal Reports over a large company WAN

10. HELP with WAN project... need ideas...

11. HELP with WAN project... need ideas...

12. HELP : VB PROJECT IN NEED OF MAJOR HELP