Help: Error 3218 in VB5 data access
Author Message
 Help: Error 3218 in VB5 data access

I am working on a customer service app that allows updates to a customers
records, when I attempt to save the changes I get error 3218: couldn't
update: currently locked.

I am currently the only user in the database and a few other things I
noticed are:

I can open access when attempting to save in VB5 and make the change
successfully in Access

If I load a separate form to enter the data I can save succefully, but I
want to user to be able to make the change on the standard form, no reason
to force a new form for the same data

Closing the database and reopening does not fix the problem.

This only occurs on the bottom records in the database, it seems that the
last page is locked.

not sure why this happens but psudeo-code follows

User populates text boxes with search data and clikcs the find button

find button builds a query string based off the populated text boxes.

data1.databasename = MAINDATABASENAME
data1.recordsource = strSearchString
data1.refresh
if data1.recordset.recordcount > 0
        dbgrid1.refresh                    ' dbgrid1 is bound to data1
end if

user clicks edit

hide dbgrid1
reset a few buttons   ' enable save and cancel etc.

user clicks save
dbengine.idle dbfreelocks
RS.edit
populate fields from text boxes
RS.update                       'errors out with 3218

I can load a separate form on the save button and the save works fine.
ANyone know what could be locking the final pages of the database here, and
why I would not be able to edit if I am the one that locked it.  Also how
would I get around this.

Spent to long on this already.  TIA

Sun, 05 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Error 3218 in VB5 data access

Have you set the data1 control to Readonly? It may be holding the Lock.

Quote:
> I am working on a customer service app that allows updates to a customers
> records, when I attempt to save the changes I get error 3218: couldn't
> update: currently locked.

Sun, 05 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Error 3218 in VB5 data access

Quote:
> Have you set the data1 control to Readonly? It may be holding the Lock.

Tried this, it was not read only previously, and set it to read-only, still
get the same error.

What really gets me is I know the lock is being set by the app, but the app
can't release it or make the change.
While this "bogus?" lock is in place I can edit the record directly through
access, so the lock isn't truely there as far as I can tell.

Mon, 06 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Access hangs up after error 3218

2. Access hangs after error 3218

3. Help, Error 3218 when replicating a database.

4. Help, Error 3218 when replicating

5. 3218 Record Lock error

6. Error 3218?

7. Error Code : 3218 while running application

8. runtime error # 3218 with VB 6.0

9. Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware

10. Error 3218 - This One Is Really Weird

11. Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware!

12. Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware